March 2015 Moms
Options

Toddler and newborn

so, this is more of a rant than anything, but would love some input if it's there. Every time my baby tries to fall asleep, my 2.5 year old seems to be playing or talking (or yelling) louder than her normal self. I eventually get him to sleep, and then she wakes him up again. He ends up being cranky half the day because he just wants to sleep. I try to establish quiet time with my daughter and read books and explain that we need to be quiet so baby can fall asleep...and then she basically refuses. Ugh...having 1 kid was way easier. But now I've got 2 of them crying at the same time. At least they're both super cute!

Re: Toddler and newborn

• Options
    My daughter is the QUEEN of loud. She pretty much only had one volume setting. Loud.

What we did was teach her volume settings in a fun way. Low medium high or quiet inside voice outside voice. We would literally practice the different volumes and she would get prizes for getting it right! Then when baby is sleeping we practice our "quiet" or "inside" voice depending on what was going on. For example, if she was sitting next to me and baby was falling asleep it was quiet voice and if baby is sleeping in another room we use inside voice.

And then when she has those bad days and tests the limits she gets a time out for purposely raising her voice when she knows it's time to practice inside voice or whatever

Just some ideas
  • Options
    What about putting the newborn into another room for a nap?
    I have two sons 3&4 and they are super loud!! We have floor boards so running around sounds like thunder haha!
    I put our baby girl into our room in her bassinet with the TV on for background noise. She needs some solid sleep during the day or she gets grumpy.
    I've taught my boys about the noise & the baby needs to sleep but sometimes toddlers and going to be toddlers and do what they want anyways :)