August 2015 Moms
Options

L&D Gifts

I know I want to do something for the L&D staff when we get there. We have already been a couple of times for monitoring and everyone is so amazing and kind there. Just looking to grab any ideas from ladies who have done a gift in the past or any nurses/dr.s out there that want to share what they like to receive. I know not to bring anything homemade. 

Re: L&D Gifts

• Options

edible arrangements are always nice!

Always hold on to hope ❤
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    Well I just saw this idea on Pinterest! It was like little goody bags that the couple passed out to nurses. It included things like Chapstick and couple of tea bags and energy/protein bars or granola I think. I just glanced at it real quick when browsing. I bet if you search for it on Pinterest it'll pop up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the chapstick idea. I was also thinking about the little sanitizers from Bath and body but wasn't sure if anyone can/wants to use them. To pinterest I go.
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    Yeah it was really cute and the example picture was nice lip balm, not the cheap cherry Chapstick brand ones. They used clear cellophane bags so all the items were clearly visible.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We just sent our L&D nurse a bouquet of roses and completed the survey that the hospital encourages. The survey is really important for recognition purposes so we definitely wanted to do that for her.

Nothing too crazy but it was something. She was fantastic!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We did recognition surveys for them and my husband brought them donuts and bagels when we had our 15 month old! Something simple and easy and they loved it! :)
  • Options
    When my sister had her baby, I brought in about 5 dozen home made cupcakes with blue icing and a note that said to all the nurses and Drs from Brycen. Not sure what I'm going to do since I won't be able to bake haha. Unless I bring them in a few days later.
  • Options
    My mom was a nurse and has been around the hospital a lot in the last couple of years with elderly family members. She always takes in a snack that is in single servings. Costco is great for this- like packaged cookies, nuts or nice (not lunch box) granola bars- this keeps them fresh. Also she is sure to take two bundles of whatever it is one for day shift and one for night shift.
  • Options
    I'm a nurse and used to work in the hospital! Food was alway my favorite thing to show up! Cookie cake, doughnuts, bakery cake, cupcakes...mmmm now I'm hungry! And I agree to not forget about night shift! They were always sad when they showed up and we had eaten everything that patients brought. And also don't forget the techs. I don't know if L & D really has techs, but on my floor, the techs were truly amazing and needed way more recognition than they ever received. :) this is a very nice thread, thanks on behalf of nurses for thinking ahead like this!
  • Options
    Makes me want to go to Costco now and get a bunch of snack items to have ready for August!
    first mc- 2007
    second mc- 2014
    third times a charm- EDD 08/17/15
  • Options

It's never actually dawned on me to do this. I'm pretty "wham bam thank you ma'am" type patient when I'm there so I've never had many dealings with the staff. I may consider it this time around though.

**PHEW** Was worried I was alone here. I never knew this was a thing either, never really thought about it. I loved all of my nurses though, but just never crossed my mind. Now I feel like the bad patient :/
  • Options
    Miz_Liz said:

It's never actually dawned on me to do this. I'm pretty "wham bam thank you ma'am" type patient when I'm there so I've never had many dealings with the staff. I may consider it this time around though.

**PHEW** Was worried I was alone here. I never knew this was a thing either, never really thought about it. I loved all of my nurses though, but just never crossed my mind. Now I feel like the bad patient :/
    Me too! I've always written a thank you card when we've gotten home, but I've never given anything beyond that..

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    megvaddi said:

I'm a nurse and anything edible will always go a long way. A lot of our families will bring a big box of donuts, or bagels, or those fruit edible arrangements with a nice card for the staff... It's always appreciated and always hits the spot. Gift bags are a nice idea but even just bringing a 10 pack of thank you cards with you and addressing them to the specific staff that cared for you is a nice personal touch. Hospital staff are busy people so supplementing our morning with ready to eat food will always be my personal favorite. ;)

I'm a NICU nurse and float to L&D a lot. And this is spot on. Can't go wrong with food :) The nurses always love it!
  • Options
    leighalou91leighalou91 member
    edited April 2015
    Miz_Liz said:

Really, it is not the norm. Lol no need to feel bad or pressured to do something like this. But every once in awhile patients do bring stuff in and it's always a welcome treat and, of course, it's nice to feel appreciated in that way.

Edit: stupid auto-correct
  • Options
    DH brought in bagels and donuts. He brought them in after work for the night shift. They loved it because apparently they get the leftovers of what was brought on early most of the time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We brought the NICU staff a large tray of cookies and other goodies from this amazing bakery nearby. And made sure to mention everyone by name on the survey!
  • Options

I like the chapstick idea. I was also thinking about the little sanitizers from Bath and body but wasn't sure if anyone can/wants to use them. To pinterest I go.

I wouldn't do hand sanitizers - if I were a nurse I would think you thought I was dirty and were encouraging me to sanitize before touching your baby.

My sister in law is a l&d nurse, and she would agree with all the food suggestions! Bagels, cookies, fruit, anything! They make cute cookie bouquets that might be good, or maybe cupcakes?
  • Options
    Miz_Liz said:

Glad I am not alone either! I also feel like a bad patient. Looks like I need to up my game this time around ha 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    jemholo said:

I wouldn't do hand sanitizers - if I were a nurse I would think you thought I was dirty and were encouraging me to sanitize before touching your baby.

My sister in law is a l&d nurse, and she would agree with all the food suggestions! Bagels, cookies, fruit, anything! They make cute cookie bouquets that might be good, or maybe cupcakes?
    As an L&D nurse I would not think about the hand sanitizer as an insult. As nurses we have to hand sanitize ever time we enter a room and leave and it's nice to have different scents. Also little lotions since our hands are always dry is nice. I second the food of any kind. Honestly just recognition of any kind is appreciated. And I second the not forgetting night shift
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    edited April 2015
    I definitely going to just send my husband out to get donuts and coffee or do a lunch or something from panera for them on both shifts, not to leave anyone out! Pretty much every female in my family is a nurse, and that's one thing they all say is nice because often they don't have time to eat on their breaks due to workload! Also, night shift is key- they usually get left out!
  • Options
    I am a nurse and I agree that food is always a winner. Everyone is always so happy when family members bring in bagels, donuts or other snacks for us to share. They are always well appreciated. I also agree with a previous poster that said to fill out the hospital survey and recognize the specific staff that cared for you. This way the management will also get to see what a wonderful job they are doing
  • Options
    We plan to get bags of peanut M&Ms and put a little note that says "Thanks for taking care of our little peanut".