Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Experiences with Cytotec

I just got done at the doctor and found that I'm going to be going through a second round of Cytotec to hopefully finish this process.

Some brief information:
My first round of Cytotec was the day they discovered my baby without a heartbeat, 04/06. The process was literally the most painful experience I've ever had. I was not prepared.
My bleeding continued for two weeks, then would stop for a day or two at a time with intermittent spotting, then begin again.
I am now on my 4th week of this miscarriage, and the ultrasound today indicated I still had about 10mm of uterine lining that was still receiving bloodflow.

The doctor wrote me a prescription for Cytotec (he did not have any available in his office this time), so I will be taking that second round this afternoon.

For those of you who have taken it before - what were your experiences like? Did any of you have a second round, and if so, was the pain decreased? When do you think would be a good time to take it?

Re: Experiences with Cytotec

• Options
    I had to take it 4 times for the same miscarriage. The first time I started bleeding 6 hours after taking it. By the next morning I hadn't passed the sac so my doc said to take another dose. That made me pass the sac. Bleeding decreased after that but never totally stopped. A week later I still had 12.5 mm of "stuff" that I needed to pass so the doc gave me more cytotec. That third dose did absolutely nothing so I took a 4th dose the next morning, passed 2 small clots that day and then a piece of tissue 2 days later. I'm hoping it's done now!! For me, the first dose caused the most pain, the ones after that caused cramping but I didn't even need Advil. Somewhere on here is a thread dedicated to Cytotec, but I don't remember exactly where I found it.
    Anniversary
    TTC since January 2015
    3/15/2015 BFP!
    4/15/2015 MMC  :'(
    2/25/2016 BFP! Hoping for the best!
  • Options
    I gather its different for each person but does it hurt any more or less each time you take it? I'm scheduled for my first dosage tomorrow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lydia012 - As my first dosage, I took 4 pills vaginally. Prior to my first dosage, my doctor advised that I would be able to take Ibuprofen to cope with the pain. I explained to him that I had an issue with Ibuprofen causing stomach bleeding in the past, and he said the only other option would be a prescription for Vicodin. I thought that surely I wouldn't need that heavy of pain meds, as many people said it felt like a heavy period.

I am thankful I had the Vicodin, but even that didn't help. I had two Vicodin in my system, and when the pain (what felt like contractions) started, my husband said I was writhing in pain. I don't remember much of it because I hurt so severely. [Great future labor prep, in my opinion. haha]

I know plenty of people who have not experienced anything like this, and made it through on basic OTC pain killers. I only share because I would advise that you talk to your doctor about all options and enter the process planning for any range of pain.

Best of luck to you, and we are here to support you through the process.
  • Options
    @rmalone128 Thanks so much. Im anticipating pain as well since I have really aggressive period cramps where I sometimes need to call out of work. My doctor has advised me to get advil or alieve. I hope I can pass all of it. I really dread a d&c/d&e.

Thanks again. I'm really grateful for everyone's stories. At least I don't feel alone amid all of this. Best wishes to all of us.