May 2015 Moms
Options

Talking to supervisor about pumping at work

This is kind of awkward for me..I'm sending my supverisor and email about my maternity leave and I also wanted to mention about me  breastfeeding and needing to pump at work and is there a place that's approved for pumping or a room that I will be about to pump in....I kind of need help with the wording...LOL

Re: Talking to supervisor about pumping at work

• Options
    No need to feel silly =) As long as your business meets the criteria this is a right you are guaranteed. Don't ask 'if' there is a place, ask where the place is. 
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options

what is the proper etiquette to use the term "nursing" or "breastfeeding"?!?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    a316ba316b member
    We just call it the "mothers room".

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    a316b said:

We just call it the "mothers room".

this
  • Options
    I would just keep it really simple.  "Where is the designated lactation room?"
  • Options
    FYI.......The location has to be somewhere other than a bathroom. 
  • Options

What about something like this

Also, I plan on nursing, so when I return to work I will
    need a room or space to pump. Do you know if XXX old office would be
    available or if there is an approved space for pumping?

• Options
    My work doesn't have a place for us. Every room had cameras
  • Options
    You may be suprised but some offices will not grant you a room. I think it should be available to all mom's but unfortunately it's not and some won't allow breaks to do so. So all you have is your lunch break and the bathroom or your car :/

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This is pretty much the deal right here.
  • Options

You may be suprised but some offices will not grant you a room. I think it should be available to all mom's but unfortunately it's not and some won't allow breaks to do so. So all you have is your lunch break and the bathroom or your car :/

A lactation consultant told me that they are required by law to allow you somewhere. It's disgusting to pump in the bathroom. Would you eat lunch in there?
  • Options

A lactation consultant told me that they are required by law to allow you somewhere. It's disgusting to pump in the bathroom. Would you eat lunch in there

It depends on the size of the office. If it is less then 50 employees then they are not required to have a room.

• Options
    padleylynnpadleylynn member
    edited April 2015
    sorry @laurenbrnwed the above is my quote box fail 

• Options
    Do u have a PR number u can cal and just ask them first. That way u can just tell your boss what they said and be confident about it.
  • Options

A lactation consultant told me that they are required by law to allow you somewhere. It's disgusting to pump in the bathroom. Would you eat lunch in there?
    I agree but I have known some offices to go against this. And like the people above said smaller offices can refuse. I pray her office is understanding because I agree the bathroom is a disgusting option.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I read that they have to give you a room that ISN'T a bathroom. I don't remember if that is a federal law or just my state
  • Options
    Law states that it isn't required for a business with 50 employees or less

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

A lactation consultant told me that they are required by law to allow you somewhere. It's disgusting to pump in the bathroom. Would you eat lunch in there

It depends on the size of the office. If it is less then 50 employees then they are not required to have a room.

Super interesting. My office is REALLY small. My boss pumps in the office and has asked if I think I'll do the same. At this point I'm thinking no. I share a 6'table as a desk...too close for comfort