St. Louis Babies

Which hospital?

I just recently found out that I am pregnant! I was pregnant about a year and a half ago but, unfortunately, had a miscarriage. My Dr. only delivered at Barnes Jewish Hospital, but I had heard some things that I didn't really like about the hospital. I am wondering if some of you could share your wisdom about the hospitals in the St Louis area (I live in Creve Coeur). I would like to know both good and bad things so please share your experiences with me and help me pick a hospital to deliver at!

Re: Which hospital?

• I delivered twice at BJC and had a good experience both times.  I can't compare the other hospitals but IMO, a lot of the judgment from Barnes comes from people who never delivered there and/or who don't appreciate the diversity of the clientele.  For me the location was good as I live in the CWE so I couldn't see a good reason to drive past it to go somewhere else.  Also, god forbid something goes wrong, if it is serious, the baby will be transferred to Children's.  Obviously something you hope will never happen but you can't predict it (I recently met someone at a holiday party who had this exact situation happen, so she was left at the other hospital while baby and husband were transferred to Children's).  All she wanted to do was be released so she could go join them.  So sad.

Anyway, I wouldn't let people's negative impressions (especially if not from first-hand experience) sway you.  Talk to your dr., go for a visit, decide what makes sense for you.  Best of luck!
  • As long as you not at St Mary's you should be fine to deliver. Make sure you get your Food stamps, Medicaid for mom and baby plan, Wic, and tanf. Food banks. Baby registry target. Lamaz classes. Pack baby bag ahead of time and get a car seat and pack and play somehow.nurses for newborns or family care center on Manchester or closer for pack and play with bassinet. St. Louis mom group on facebook where moms can buy sell or trade kids stuff