June 2015 Moms

"Tenting"

Diastasis Recti aka tenting your stomach looks pointy when u get up I noticed when I was getting up from the tub both sides go down n the middle points...something about splitting in the inside the nurse told me and some women get it..I read some people still look pregnant after when they have it even with all the exercise it just bulges out I had a great tummy before I got pregnant and it was pretty firm I'm afraid after birth anyone else has this ?

Re: "Tenting"

• Yes I totally have this! I had no idea it had a name. I just thought it was a weird pregnant thing everyone has! I just noticed it last week
  • I thought it was my son balled up lol the nurse laughed and said no and she told me it was that Diastasis Recti and they call it tenting
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought the same thing! I thought he was just in a weird position
  • Lol yup I was excited till she said that lol also have u been counting kicks? I just wanted to know my son gave ten kicks/rolls within 8min lol is he really active? I mean I know he kicks a lot but wow
  • I have this too! I just assumed it happened to all pregnant women until I read this.
  • You can start seeing a physical therapist. The separation is normal for everyone but a physical therapist can help if the separation is more than three fingers wide between the muscles. That's something they know how to check.
  • CillyMama said:

I totally thought of something else after reading the thread title :)

Interesting. I've heard of diastasis recti but I wasn't sure what is was. I think there's some exercises that's supposed to help it get back in shape.

I initially thought the same thing @CillyMama but I do have this. DH pointed it out one night when I was getting up from ththe couch. I thought it was normal
  • Kjc4xKjc4x member
    I had this with my first pregnancy. The muscles never reconnected afterwards, so they were surgically repaired after my second pregnancy. Now on to my third pregnancy and not sure what will happen this time...
  • Ahh that scares me @Kjc4x lol
  • When I lift myself up from laying flat (on the bed) I get a little "tenting" in the center. Is this definitely Diastasis Recti or is it also normal to happen without Diastasis Recti? I've tried to feel for the separation on either side of the "tent" but can't feel anything .
    Married: 28 August 2014
    BFP #1: 11 October 2014
    EDD: 22 June 2015 -- updated DD: 20 June 2015

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary
  • Yea I've tried to test it myself lol I'm a first time mom I have no idea what I'm suppose to do or feel so I'm waiting for my next app.
  • I had this with my first and again with this. It can freak some people out when i show them lol. Unfortunately, my stomach was never the same (kinda puckery and saggy in the center near belly button). It doesn't really bother me anymore because only me and DH see my bare stomach anyhow.
  • I have this and have been avoiding getting up in any way that causes me to 'tent', as my midwife recommended. You make it worse that way apparently. She says everyone gets separation, but some stay separated after birth.
  • I hope mine doesn't stay lol I'm only 21 going 22 I already know my tattoos won't look the same but I don't care lol and if anythin I guess I should be happy because it was my son that did that to me so it was worth it right?
  • I just looked it up ... That's scary. I had 6 pregnancies.. None yet...
  • Okay, I'm officially freaked out. Like others, I thought this was totally normal. Been having a good giggle over it, in fact. Didn't realize this was a bad thing. Grr...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Don't worry until after. I had this with my first and my belly was gone in a few weeks. I was in a bikini 6 months later. I have it again with this one. PT is an option if needed. Don't do crunches right after delivery, it can make it worse. Do research and talk to your OB. For some women surgery is necessary (especially if you had multiples) but there is no reason to stress about it now. I'm working with a trainer and permanent diastasis recti is one thing we're focused on preventing.
  • It is tender to touch both sides if my belly...is this a sign that I have it? It doesn't hurt unless I touch it.
  • Yikes, think I have this - and also just thought it was normal. Will have to ask about it at my next appt. Which is not for two weeks, crap!
  • Haha. I love how some ladies get all riled up about different threads. Take a big breath people.

I also have this (and had it with my first). Like pp have mentioned there's not much to worry about while you're pregnant, but yes. You should avoid "tenting" and any type of "sit up"-style of exercise/activity. Think "roll to your side and push up" to sit up from lying. As you can indeed make it worse by putting undue stress on the already compromised muscles/ligaments.

If you contact a PT that has experience with DR, they can give you some exercises to help strengthen your core (safely) and after baby comes the can provide you with more exercises (and sometimes a belly belt thing) that can help facilitate recovery.

But yes, some women may require surgery to repair the damage after all is said and done. However most health care providers will advise you to wait until you're done with having babies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a STM (actually a TTM). I know I have Diastsis Recti especially bc I carried my twins to 38 weeks and I was HUGE! My stomach since giving birth always looked pregnant. Honestly, I was pretty naive about this. I thought to get it fixed it would be a cosmetic procedure...I didn't know that potentially this could be covered if severe enough. I plan to talk to my OB about this when it gets closer to delivery.
  • Also there's a fitness website that has great exercises to help with this! It's called fitnessblender.com
  • On a related note, PT can also help with incontinence after delivery. Some women have no problems, others require surgery. At your check up after delivery, talk to your OB if you're concerned. You don't have to worry about leaking every time you sneeze! Any good OB will happily refer you to PT for diastasis recti or incontinence if it's a problem.
  • amark11 said:

mccall35 said:

Haha. I love how some ladies get all riled up about different threads. Take a big breath people.

Look. I am patient with "drama" on here on a daily basis that I find incredibly asinine. "Panic" over what to name a baby. What diaper bag or other luxury item to buy. There is a whole thread on curtains, elective ultrasounds, and every totally normal pregnancy symptom under the sun. For all the "I'm pregnant, not disabled" feelings, many people here certainly act like they are. And people also come here for advice when clearly a medical professional is needed. Fine. We should be nice.

Now there is a thread on something that could require physical therapy and/or surgery, and people are saying not to move in ways that I move several times a day. It is something apparently several of us have, and didn't even know was a "thing."

I'm not riled up, and I am breathing. Looks like most ladies here are. But we now know to look into this and ask our doctors, because apparently it is in a different category than minor swelling, hemorrhoids, heartburn, etc. which will not require surgery or PT down the road.

So your post ruffles my feathers. It's great you have experience with this and don't find it to be a big deal. Thanks for sharing that part.

ETA: I see now that you're Canadian.  Maybe the laws are different.  I will be in the US for a while once LO is about 6 weeks old.  In many states in the US, you cannot simply go to a PT like you would another health care professional.  It requires a doctor's prescription, including how often, and insurance must approve. 

Sorry to minimize people's feelings. That wasn't my intention. I just think it's amusing that so many ladies initial reaction is "OMG I think I have this and no one told me, how could no one have told me". If you really do think you have this, then bring it up with your doctor at your next appointment. While there can be long term consequences, it's not something that you are going to exasperate to that point in the next week or so. Also for the record, most people don't end up needing surgery to have it corrected. And, yes. I do live in Canada, but we also need a referral from our docs to PT (for it to be covered by our insurance). So that didn't really factor into my reaction. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker