Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

baby freaks out unless she is held

Baby is a month early and unless she is being held she freaks out. Any advice? We have a swing for her but I think it will just take time for her to get use to it. We believe she is just adjusting to being out of the womb. I don't mind holding her I'm just looking for suggestions to help her adjust.

Re: baby freaks out unless she is held

• Options
    Early babies are especially going to need time to adjust, but research the 4th trimester - babies in general need to be held more than we think, as they have a fear of being abandoned. That's my VERY straightforward analysis but it's worth a read - my MIL wanted me to leave her to cry, but the 4th trimester broke my heart and I definitely found it very useful.
  • Options
    You can't really do anything right now except what she needs...which is to be held.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you tried a sling? The baby katan can be used for newborns.
  • Options
    vpinevpine member
    That happened to one of my daughters so I did hold her and put her next to me at night. She would touch my face or open her eyes to make sure I was next to her, this was only 1.5 weeks and then she got used to being laid down to sleep without me holding her.
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Options
    Hi, my LO was like this. I can recommend baby whisperer. You might want to try sush pat. Swaddle LO to reduce the startle reflex and put her down whilst awake and content. Then sush and pat her back. Even when it looks like she is asleep it can take 20 mins for them to hit deep sleep, so you walk off and they wake a few mins later. You have to think if you go to sleep in a lovely comfy bed with a lovely duvet, and then when you were asleep someone moved you to the bottom of the garden then you would wake up and freak out. So putting her down awake should mean she will sleep better when she goes over. Good luck and check out the baby whisperer solves all your problems book :-)