August 2015 Moms

"Was it planned?"

2»

Re: "Was it planned?"

• I'll turn 20 when baby is 3 months. None of our family asks if it was planned because they all know we were basically leaving it up to fate if we got pregnant. Although when we found out it was a girl everyone on DHs side of the family was disappointed because they wanted a boy so badly. I tried to tell them she would be a girl but no one would listen to me. Some of his family will ask to touch my belly which I love because I don't like to be touched I wish more family and friends would ask first.
  • I'm a teacher and my favorite is, "Oh, that's so nice that you planned it for August so you could have an extended summer with your maternity leave!"

I have to laugh to myself because we definitely didn't plan this intentionally for August...or at all for that matter. ;) ...not that it's their business anyway! (We are extremely happy that it DID happen!)
  • Loading the player...
  • My children will be less than two years apart and my boss's boss said to me " wow that's a short age gap, you know how that happens right" well my snark got the better of me and I replied "obviously but I don't have sex with my husband anymore and I'm actually carrying jesus" and walked away. I was really irritated by that comment.
  • I get asked a lot if this was planned ... no, it wasn't, I'd just had a LEEP done, and was in the first month of having the nuvaring back in and we got pregnant anyway :P 

i hate that question, and i got my first "Haha, you know what causes that right, haven't you learnt your lesson?" and i could've punched him :P I have 2 older daughters btw, and i had to bite my tongue.
    DD1: 3.27.2003
    DD2: 9.7.2008
    DS: 8.4.2015

• My boss announced my pregnancy to my clients before I ever could well before 12 weeks. I had to explain to him why I had to be out of work for a week in the beginning bc I was spotting. He told them we had been trying for years. Not true. We had 2 losses, but we weren't trying. We just weren't preventing it from happening. Lol.
  • I hate the "Are you getting married?" Question!!! Just because me and my boyfriend are having a child does NOT mean I have to get married now, and it doesn't make us ANY LESS committed to each other or the baby if we don't :-bd
  • LMAO!!! Love it!
  • i thought this was a weird question every time i have been asked too...one lady asked if i had planned to have children SO YOUNG and i enjoyed making her feel dumb when i said i'm a couple weeks away from 30 and hubby just turned 37...but then thinking back on it i know she was being judgy thinking i was too young...and it's none of her business. ppl are just so rude to pregnant ladies, i don't get it?!?
  • We told my parents in July that we were starting to try for a baby. In December, I called and told my mom that I was pregnant. She goes "Oh, I'm so happy! I thought you guys had gotten frustrated and given up!" What? You thought we tried for 4-5 months and gave up? What would "giving up" even mean? Did you think I went back on birth control? I was so annoyed.
  • I got tired of that one too. When people kept asking if it was planned, my response became "No, we just had a few really fun nights". People didn't know if I was serious or not, and would drop it real quick. Now the biggest question is about the name. We have told everyone we will not be sharing it and why, but everyone thinks we are being unfair to them. When we had our first, we told everyone the name because we were so excited. Everyone bought beautifully embroidered things for her. By the time we were around the end, we were thinking about changing it from Olivia to Sophia because we felt like her name was over played from everyone calling her by name, but couldn't because of all the things that people had already bought her.

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

• 'Were you trying for long?' from a work colleague has been my personal favourite...

Yep! I get a lot of people asking how long we were trying - I'm like, are you seriously asking how often my husband and I were having unprotected sex, or if we have fertility issues????

Something about babies and pregnancy seems to make everyone feel that they can ask really personal questions and give unsolicited advice! Sorta unrelated but I also think it makes people feel safe to over share with me...

• When my father found out, he looked at my husband and said "How did this happen?"

Dad, do you really want the details??

I am so tired of the comments about people never thinking I would have children, can't believe I would ever have children, and laughing in my face that "it is happening" to me. No, we weren't trying, but we were planning on trying ONE DAY. I was molested in childhood and always had a fear of being unable to conceive. As a result, I never spoke about having children. I am not an open person and dislike any of the questions/comments/attempts to touch me.
  • I agree that "was it planned" is one of the most intrusive, rude questions. As if that matters either way to the beauty of this new life! I have gotten to the point where I tell people my husband and I have decided not to discuss that issue with others. It is firm, but i can say it with a smile so it looks polite, and usually conversation keeps going right along. That response also covers allot of nosy questions.