Trying to Get Pregnant

3 days of Positive opk?

Hi! So I have 3 days of Positive opks? My SO and I DTD the day before the 1st and also every single day (about 24 hours apart due to schedules) of the 3 Positive opks. Today I got a negative?

Is that normal to get 3 days of them? Just wondering if that has happened to anyone else?

Re: 3 days of Positive opk?

• Its very common. Try temping, that will tell you when you've ovulated. Opks only detect the hormone your body produces around ovulation.
  • My last cycle was the first time I've ever used OPKs, and I got 2 days of positives (I very well may have had 3, but we traveled the next day, so I didn't get a chance to test).

Me: 26, DH: 41
    Colin Patrick born on 4/29 via emergency C-section following 41-week induction  <3

• Loading the player...
  • It also depends on the type of opks you're using. I've used two types of opks and one I had 5 days of positive opks and the other I only had 1 positive opk.
  • What OPKS are you using?
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Jags8Jags8 member
    Yes it is normal. You can have a surge in LH without ovulating. 

Also, it's called sex. We're all adults. here.
  • lclark092114lclark092114 member
    edited April 2015
    No need for attitude Jags8. Just trying to be modest. There is no reason to say anything about how I worded my post. If you don't like it, simply move on and don't comment.
  • I just use dollar store opks.
  • There's a search function. You can use it to search a bunch of threads regarding OPKs...they're very helpful.

When I was using OPKs, I exclusively used digitals because it took the guesswork of whether it's a true positive or not. However, they're much more expensive and line tests can also be just effective. I believe most of the ladies here used Wondfos, which are super cheap test strips you can buy online. Try Amazon or eBay. You can test twice a day, if you'd like and not break the bank! You can also get a giant box of Wondfo pregnancy tests, too.
    TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

Its best to temp and use opks. Opks are good for a second ovulation confirmation. But opks alone just aren't reliable because you can get so many positives. I check my cm, cervix and use opks and temp and when it all lines up I know I ovulated.
  • No need for attitude Jags8. Just trying to be modest. There is no reason to say anything about how I worded my post. If you don't like it, simply move on and don't comment.

There's nothing "immodest" about saying sex.  This is a TTC board.  Aside from some of the 18 year-olds who may not yet know how things work, we all know that sex is involved.  Don't get an attitude with someone who is clueing you in on how things work here.
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 

• No need for attitude Jags8. Just trying to be modest. There is no reason to say anything about how I worded my post. If you don't like it, simply move on and don't comment.

Um no, that's not how that works here.

This is the internet. Say sex, again, we're all adults.

• BTW, OP, how old are you?
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 

• Idk that you can get opks at the dollar stores
    I haven't seen them!

Age 24 DH 24 TTC#1!
    NTNP since June '14
    TTC since February '15
    Anniversary

photo mrsespigreen_3_Autocorrect Fail Bumpie-2_zps0y7kauvn.jpg
  • Why does it matter to anyone how I termed it? If you understand what I meant then what is the issue ? Does it change your answer for me? No, probably not. So again, if you feel as though it effects you negatively in some way, then please just move on.

Also it is just a common abbreviation that I have seen used and have used on other boards. This is the first time I have ever encountered anyone taking an issue with it.
  • Why does it matter to anyone how I termed it? If you understand what I meant then what is the issue ? Does it change your answer for me? No, probably not. So again, if you feel as though it effects you negatively in some way, then please just move on.

Also it is just a common abbreviation that I have seen used and have used on other boards. This is the first time I have ever encountered anyone taking an issue with it.

Seriously? Did you lurk?

When I was using OPKs, I exclusively used digitals because it took the guesswork of whether it's a true positive or not. However, they're much more expensive and line tests can also be just effective. I believe most of the ladies here used Wondfos, which are super cheap test strips you can buy online. Try Amazon or eBay. You can test twice a day, if you'd like and not break the bank! You can also get a giant box of Wondfo pregnancy tests, too.
    In my post I said that I got 3 positives. I know that they were positives for sure. So the dollar store brands work just fine. I was just wondering if that was a normal thing.

I did a little more research myself, and found out its pretty common. But thanks for the advice.

And in reference to your earlier response about my reply to Jag. It was rude of anyone on here to troll me about my terminology. As I stated in the reply above, it doesn't change the answer to my question so I don't know why someone even brought it up to me. I won't be polite to people that are obviously nit-picky and not.polite to me. If you don't like that, again, I strongly encourage you to move on from the post

Its best to temp and use opks. Opks are good for a second ovulation confirmation. But opks alone just aren't reliable because you can get so many positives. I check my cm, cervix and use opks and temp and when it all lines up I know I ovulated.
    Thanks this and your earlier posts were helpful :)

In my post I said that I got 3 positives. I know that they were positives for sure. So the dollar store brands work just fine. I was just wondering if that was a normal thing.

I did a little more research myself, and found out its pretty common. But thanks for the advice.

And in reference to your earlier response about my reply to Jag. It was rude of anyone on here to troll me about my terminology. As I stated in the reply above, it doesn't change the answer to my question so I don't know why someone even brought it up to me. I won't be polite to people that are obviously nit-picky and not.polite to me. If you don't like that, again, I strongly encourage you to move on from the post
    I think you're missing the point here. You're coming into an established community with rules and preferences. The ladies who have commented regarding your terminology are letting you know the expectations of the community and how to avoid these comments in the future. If you don't like their responses or preferences of the community then you also have the choice to ignore the comments and move on.

Me (26) Him (27)
    Dx PCOS November 2010
    21 cycles TTC
    HSG April 2015 - all clear!
    May 2015 - 5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
    June 2015 - 7.5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
  • Idk that you can get opks at the dollar stores

I haven't seen them!

Yep! They are where all the generic medications are in the dollar store. Sometimes they are hidden. They are usually in a pink or white box.

I bought them by the boat load. Haha! Cheap and they worked for me so, if no BFP this month then I will keep using them!

I am 25. I am an adult and therefore can speak the way I choose. I just don't see why I have to say "sex" to make anyone happy? It's not like you didn't know what I meant or what I was saying and it had nothing to do with my post so, don't know why it was brought up?

I am 25. I am an adult and therefore can speak the way I choose. I just don't see why I have to say "sex" to make anyone happy? It's not like you didn't know what I meant or what I was saying and it had nothing to do with my post so, don't know why it was brought up?

Because this is an established community...where we say sex. I'm not sure why you're missing the point.
  • Jags8Jags8 member

BTW, OP, how old are you?

Actually it did take me a minute to understand what DTD meant. And correcting you on terminology is not trolling. Trolling is continuously making offensive posts to try to get a rise out of others.

We use abbreviations to shorten words we have to say a lot. Cycle Day becomes CD, days past ovulation becomes DPO. Sex is three letters. We don't need an abbreviation for it. We don't need a code word to be "modest" because we are adults, and sex is a major part in becoming pregnant.
  • Two things: (past BFP mentioned)

I had a sort of similar situation @missteacherlady16 ! It wasn't here, it was a long time ago in the Infertility board. I had JUST started getting active there when I found out about a BFP. Wrong place to announce it. I was Roose Bolton'd and flayed alive. Definitely learned my lesson and in retrospect, I definitely did not handle that appropriately. I had been trying just as long/has the same issues as those ladies but they didn't know me! But I apologized, deleted my post & moved on. The TB ladies are awesome, full of snark & the most supportive I've ever seen! You just can't ask for support and not give it, everyone here is going through a hard journey.

Second thing, I used the First Response OPK & once I got a YES+, I stopped testing. So I get confused when I see folks test for more & get positives for like 3 days in a row or however long. I haven't seen a lot of folks use that brand, I have to buy another this cycle.. Maybe I'll get the clear blue (not advanced?).
    httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom564x9c95d69c95d674dd5cf4fca6bd9d384e78e24bjpg
    LFAF February Siggy Challenge - "Favorite TV/Movie Couple"

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload26b89148c7b33ea94ce2d81113588d17jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadd47bf7ca05f00f6cf5bf636c32d9a75bjpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload8eecaf9159c3ef2d76474f4858e0ca7cjpg
    httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploada6e4cbc633a118da3abd087f7518f2c8jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadc77e51750c881e1e2ec7bd004e796cd3jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload54f663537b430163ad7fac1203ceb664jpg

Me: 28 | DH: 29
    DD: 10/17/13
    TTC#2 Actively: 10/14, NTNP: 01/14
    Left-Sided Hydrosalpinx (cause: genetic abnormality, TREATED 11/16)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/396b04

• Two things: (past BFP mentioned)

I had a sort of similar situation @missteacherlady16 ! It wasn't here, it was a long time ago in the Infertility board. I had JUST started getting active there when I found out about a BFP. Wrong place to announce it. I was Roose Bolton'd and flayed alive. Definitely learned my lesson and in retrospect, I definitely did not handle that appropriately. I had been trying just as long/has the same issues as those ladies but they didn't know me! But I apologized, deleted my post & moved on. The TB ladies are awesome, full of snark & the most supportive I've ever seen! You just can't ask for support and not give it, everyone here is going through a hard journey.

Second thing, I used the First Response OPK & once I got a YES+, I stopped testing. So I get confused when I see folks test for more & get positives for like 3 days in a row or however long. I haven't seen a lot of folks use that brand, I have to buy another this cycle.. Maybe I'll get the clear blue (not advanced?).

First, LOL to the above bolded.

Second,  I agree with PPs.  OP, please don't feel that we are "trolling" you.  This is a GREAT community with an insane amount of useful knowledge.  Before I came here I was on the etiquette board on TheKnot.  These two boards remind me a lot of each other (and I actually occasionally see several of the same people overlapping like me).  I haven't gotten flamed on this board yet, but DEAR GOD did I get flamed the first time I posted on the etiquette board.  I learned a really important lesson about how these boards (all boards) really should be approached with an open mind.  Take it all in for a few days before you dive in.  It's a lot like becoming friends with a large group of ladies who already have known each other for a long time.  The first few times you hang out you kind of watch and listen and figure out what the "climate" is.  

This community is extremely smart, and also real as fuck.  These ladies will give you the BEST advice around, but they also will be the first to tell you to get your head out of the clouds.

I really hope you stick around, OP.  This community is awesome.

As for your question, I typically wait for my first positive OPK and stop testing after that, although now I might start continuing to test.  OPKs simply show if you are having a surge of luteinizing hormone.  Sometimes we have these surges without ovulating afterwards.  I've heard of ladies having this surge at different points during the month.  I definitely suggest you get into temping, which will give you a much better idea of your cycle.  If you do start to temp I hope you stick around because these ladies are PROS.  Also, try picking up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  That book is my gd bible.
  • antoto said:

Two things: (past BFP mentioned)

First, LOL to the above bolded.

Second,  I agree with PPs.  OP, please don't feel that we are "trolling" you.  This is a GREAT community with an insane amount of useful knowledge.  Before I came here I was on the etiquette board on TheKnot.  These two boards remind me a lot of each other (and I actually occasionally see several of the same people overlapping like me).  I haven't gotten flamed on this board yet, but DEAR GOD did I get flamed the first time I posted on the etiquette board.  I learned a really important lesson about how these boards (all boards) really should be approached with an open mind.  Take it all in for a few days before you dive in.  It's a lot like becoming friends with a large group of ladies who already have known each other for a long time.  The first few times you hang out you kind of watch and listen and figure out what the "climate" is.  

This community is extremely smart, and also real as fuck.  These ladies will give you the BEST advice around, but they also will be the first to tell you to get your head out of the clouds.

I really hope you stick around, OP.  This community is awesome.

As for your question, I typically wait for my first positive OPK and stop testing after that, although now I might start continuing to test.  OPKs simply show if you are having a surge of luteinizing hormone.  Sometimes we have these surges without ovulating afterwards.  I've heard of ladies having this surge at different points during the month.  I definitely suggest you get into temping, which will give you a much better idea of your cycle.  If you do start to temp I hope you stick around because these ladies are PROS.  Also, try picking up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  That book is my gd bible.
    Love me some game of thrones!!

I actually started temping this cycle, first time! And I didn't know about getting multiple surges until this board, however I didn't get my surge until CD23 & cycle ended CD36, so I'm fairly confident it was probably a true surge for that use. I'm excited to temp this month and get actual confirmation though. I asked my doctor last Friday the best time to use the OPK because I kept reading 2pm but she actually said 4pm was better. So I'll try that this round.

httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom564x9c95d69c95d674dd5cf4fca6bd9d384e78e24bjpg
    LFAF February Siggy Challenge - "Favorite TV/Movie Couple"

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload26b89148c7b33ea94ce2d81113588d17jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadd47bf7ca05f00f6cf5bf636c32d9a75bjpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload8eecaf9159c3ef2d76474f4858e0ca7cjpg
    httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploada6e4cbc633a118da3abd087f7518f2c8jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadc77e51750c881e1e2ec7bd004e796cd3jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload54f663537b430163ad7fac1203ceb664jpg

Me: 28 | DH: 29
    DD: 10/17/13
    TTC#2 Actively: 10/14, NTNP: 01/14
    Left-Sided Hydrosalpinx (cause: genetic abnormality, TREATED 11/16)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/396b04