September 2015 Moms
Options

Help...Name Spelling

kayjones15kayjones15 member
edited April 2015 in September 2015 Moms
I really like the name maya but I can't decide on the spelling. Some people spell it mya, maya, miyah. Any suggestions?

Re: Help...Name Spelling

• Options
    I prefer Mya or Mia. The extra letters in the other spellings make me second guess how they are supposed to be pronounced.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Mya. I think Mia is pronounced "me-a" not "my-a". So it depends on what you're going for pronunciation wise. But I agree that the simpler spellings are nicer.
  • Options
    I am not sure from Maya if it is pronounced "May-ya" or "My-ya." Some people don't mind always correcting people and some do. I always feel bad when I mispronounce someone's name and am grateful when the named is gracious about it.
  • Options
    Yea it should be pronounced My-ya. Maybe I should stick with Mya
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    I think the popularity of Mia may make people choose that pronunciation a lot. I personally like Maya best, but that's just me. I would say it the way you intend, but again, that's just me.
    As a person with a name that I have to correct people on, I really don't mind telling people!
    I love the name, however you pick to spell it!!
  • Options
    This is a bit random, but all the Mayas I know personally are Jewish or Israeli (or both), and they all spell it Maya, which leads me to believe it's the more traditional spelling, at least in the Jewish community.

But, many people spell it Mya too (like the singer - although I just looked her up and her name has a tilde (the squiggly thing over an n in Spanish) over it, so not sure what that's about haha). 

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there, if you wanted to steer either towards or away from what might be a culturally-based spelling.
  • Options
    I like Maya and Mya. Definitely not Mia, that's pronounced Me-ah.
  • Options
    I work with young kids and from my experience mia has always been pronounced mee-ah and mya is mi-ya. So just depends on how you want it pronounced. Maya is confusing to me i wouldn't know how to pronounce it... my guess would be may-ya
  • Options
  • Options
    I prefer Maya. On my list of names. Haven't chosen one yet
  • Options
    Only ever seen it spelled Maya. All the other spellings look wrong to me
    <imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker>
  • Options
    FinalyFoundFinalyFound member
    edited April 2015
    I've only seen it spelt Mia or Mya
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    I like Maya. I agree Mia is mee-uh.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I suggested Mia because a friend of mine named her daughter that and it is pronunced My-ya. It all depends on personal preferance I think
  • Options
    Maya looks like May-a and Mia looks like Me-a. I would go with Mya.
  • Options
    I like Maya! I think most people will know how to pronounce it spelled that way
  • Options
    I like Maya. Reminds me of the Riviera Maya in Mexico which is beautiful.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a student who spelled it Maia. Since she's the only student I've ever had with the name, I suppose I just figured it was the common spelling :) but I never struggled with whether it was "May-ya," "Mee-ya," or "My-a," either!
  • Options
    I like Mya. That's what I'm naming my baby girl and how I'm spelling it!
  • Options
    MzJackson32MzJackson32 member
    edited April 2015
    Miyah.. It is different.. Pronounced Mi-yah... I hate common names.. But my sons are juniors.. :-q
  • Options
    Maya is what I've seen the most. I think I'd still pronounce Mya as Meeah. I like Maia too.
  • Options
    @jbettles I like the spelling you mentioned! Maia!
  • Options
    I like the spelling  Miah or Miya
  • Options
    The traditional / common spelling is Maya. Mia is an entirely different name. My general thought is that if people have a problem pronouncing the traditional spelling of a name, that is their personal issue. I wouldn't come up with a weird spelling to try to avoid it. Then it just makes it look like you didn't know how to spell the name. 
  • Options

Maya looks like May-a and Mia looks like Me-a. I would go with Mya.

I second this!
  • Options
    I also think of Mia as Mee-ah. I've actually never seen "Mya" or "Miyah" before, and honestly I think that they're both really strange, but it may be a matter of location! I like Maya (I've never found it confusing, but I've also never met someone who says it May-a. Think Maya Angelou or Maya Rudolph.) I do also like Maia, but I'm not sure where that falls on the whole "correct spelling" issue. Plus Gaia is our number one girl's name, so maybe it's a bias :)
  • Options
    I like Mya spelled Myah ! I chose Nya for my sisters baby girl she loved it I told her u could spell it Nya or Nyah ! No confusion there ! I love my nieces name it's a little more unique than mya !
  • Options
    Maia is another way of spelling it
  • Options
    I like the spelling of it as Maya or Mya
  • Options
    I see this a bit different...maybe us Canucks pronounce things differently, but Maya I would pronounce "My-ah" whereas when I see Mya I read it as one syllable "M-ya" (kind of like a karate chop sound said fast, if that makes sense). If it was me I might go with Myah, I'd pronounce that right. Or the standard Maya, I feel like most ppl would get that right, or learn quick :)
  • Options

The traditional / common spelling is Maya. Mia is an entirely different name. My general thought is that if people have a problem pronouncing the traditional spelling of a name, that is their personal issue. I wouldn't come up with a weird spelling to try to avoid it. Then it just makes it look like you didn't know how to spell the name. 

All of this. I've never known any other spelling for Maya. Very pretty name by the way.