Babies on the Brain
Options

Ugh! Dr asked us to wait 2 months

I had my yearly exam today and talked to my dr. about going off birth control at the end of the month. I was hoping we could start trying right away, but my dr. advised us to wait 2 cycles before trying.  I have heard some doctors suggest waiting and some say to go ahead and try immediately after coming off. I was hoping our dr. would be of the "start now" mindset, but, obviously, I want the healthiest, best pregnancy possible and I will heed her advice.

I guess this means two more months of tough workouts and fun summery beverages. :)

Re: Ugh! Dr asked us to wait 2 months

• Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    Did you doctor say why, specifically?
  • Options
    She said to wait for the uterine lining to thicken up. :/ I have heard others say their doctors mentioned it due to being able more easily date the pregnancy or to allow hormones to balance, but she didn't mention either of those. 

It was under my impression that that is kind of an outdated logic, but I'm not one to argue with a doctor. I assume she knows better than I do (since my knowledge is from a google search)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At some point, I read a post on here that you are more likely to miscarry if you get pregnant in the first 2 months of stopping the pill (I guess that would make sense with the uterine lining thickening) but I don't remember who posted it or how they found that out.  It could be incorrect information.  And certainly it doesn't mean you'd definitely miscarry, just possibly be more likely to.  I have a few friends who got pregnant right away off of bc and did fine, and one that had a miscarriage, but it's hard to know if it had anything to do with the bc or not.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @penelope4612 I heard you are more likely to miscarry too! I came off depo after my honeymoon in july last year and my cycles regulated right away, so I guess I was lucky, but depo is a different beast and I've heard horror stories, so wanted to wait a full year, that's why I came off of it so early!
  • Options
    Alright follow up question. Now that I'm off the pill, I'm not really excited about other methods of birth control during this 2 month wait until TTC. How do you feel about the "withdrawal method" for 2 months? I know it's not the best method, but I wouldn't be upset if we got pregnant. And medical evidence doesn't seem to fully support waiting 2 months after BC anyway. Shoot, I'd thank the lord if we got that lucky right away and didn't have to try. 

I'm married and monogamous. And condoms are just annoying and kind of gross.

What do you think?
  • Options

Alright follow up question. Now that I'm off the pill, I'm not really excited about other methods of birth control during this 2 month wait until TTC. How do you feel about the "withdrawal method" for 2 months? I know it's not the best method, but I wouldn't be upset if we got pregnant. And medical evidence doesn't seem to fully support waiting 2 months after BC anyway. Shoot, I'd thank the lord if we got that lucky right away and didn't have to try. 

What do you think?
    I have been wondering the same thing! I am stopping BC after this month and don't really want to use condoms so was thinking about withdrawal for the same reasons you mentioned, and maybe avoided during fertile window. Would love to hear other thoughts!
  • Options
    So...I have been told they tell you to wait so it's easier to date the pregnancy.  I didn't wait.  I literally stopped the pill and by my next cycle got a positive test.  My pregnancy was fine, other than the fact that I went almost two weeks overdue (which isn't a bad thing, really).  My son is fine, healthy, hit all his milestones on time, or even early.  Not  that I am trying to encourage you all to disregard your doctor's advice but...things happen and the pregnancy and baby will be fine if you used the withdrawal method and it didn't work...
  • Options
    Yeah I think that if you're fine with the potential consequences if you did get pregnant (possibly higher rate of miscarriage, but who knows how much higher) then you should use whatever method makes the most sense for you.
  • Options

What do you think?
    Hi! So this is my story too. I went off BC in feb. My obgyn said to wait two cycles for the same reasons yours said. Since then I have found that there isn't much research to support that claim but I was originally trying to prevent until july anyways. So we tried condoms (once) and nixed that idea altogether. We at first used the pull out method but then I realized through temping that I wasn't ovluating. I have not had my first period yet since feb. (I plan to contact obgyn soon but that's another story). Anyway my point here is have you read taking charge of your fertility yet? It helped me learn so much more about my body and I feel like I really understand so much more than I ever did before. I also highly HIGHLY recommend temping. It's easy and allows you to know what's happening...not question, wonder, or symptom spot! Goodluck to you!
  • Options
    I was very against temping at first because I felt like I wanted it to be more of a casual approach. But now waiting 2 months is making me feel on a bit more of a time crunch. It seems really easy to just take your temp and put it in an app. Does the app help you make sense of the data pretty easily? I haven't read TCOYF but I know it's highly recommended. I was really trying not to be "type A" about this, but I have a feeling I'm about to give in!
  • Options
    I honestly felt the same way in fact I said we were never going to try we just weren't going to prevent. Now I see how ridiculous and nieve that statement was. FF really interprets it all for you and temping actually did the opposite and put my mind more at ease. Your supposed to temp at about the same time each day but I just try to keep it within 45 minutes if possible. I figured when I get more serious about TTC I will probably be more likely to set an alarm if necessary. My temps are a little all over the place which could be due to coming off BC. TCOYF was really interesting and I find myself going back to different sections when something new pops up or if I have a question. I think overall it's made me less stressed then I would have been not temping and reading because now I feel like I do have more control and knowledge and am not constantly in the dark.