Birth Stories

Active During Pregnancy and Your Due Date Question

I'm curious and would like to take a layman's survey of sorts, if possible. I've read that being sufficiently active during pregnancy may have effects on due date in the sense that baby matures slightly faster. I'm 33-1/2 weeks with my first baby and have maintained an active lifestyle and moderately healthy diet throughout which I've noticed has made a huge difference in otherwise inevitable prego discomfort, which I am immensely grateful for. My question:

1) If you were fairly active during your pregnancy, when (in relation to your due date) was baby born (assuming no complications)?

2) how "healthy" was your diet?

3) Was it your first child? second? etc?

4) How long was baby and how much did he/she weigh?

I'm sure it's all anecdotal, but it'll help kind of distract me from the antsiness of waiting for his arrival  I know he'll arrive when he's ready, but it's fun to learn about!

Re: Active During Pregnancy and Your Due Date Question

• 1) DD was born at 36.5 weeks. I was not expecting her early at all. I was having on and off pains in my back throughout the day, but I did not think it was real labor. I got home from playing in a concert just before 8:00 PM. 30 minutes later I told DH I thought I might be having contractions. By the time I was convinced it was the real thing, it was too late to make it to the hospital, and the baby was born at 9:42 in the bathtub at home while DH was on the phone with 9-1-1.

2) My diet was fairly healthy, but I was not overly strict.

3) This was my first child.

4) DD was 6 lb. 10 oz. 19 in.

I'm not sure whether it affected when the baby came, but I'm convinced that staying active during my pregnancy made the delivery easier. Neither I nor anyone else could believe how quickly and easily she came out!
  • 1) If you were fairly active during your pregnancy, when (in relation to your due date) was baby born (assuming no complications)? I was pretty active during my pregnancy and my baby was born 8 days post my EDD.

2) how "healthy" was your diet? pretty healthy, I lead a healthy life style most of what I ate was cooked by me at home from whole raw ingredients and I gained the bare minimum during my pregnancy.

3) Was it your first child? second? etc? first child

4) How long was baby and how much did he/she weigh? she was 20" long and weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz.
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • 1) I went to my regular yoga class until I was 38 weeks pregnant. I also walk at least 1/2 mile everyday (I have a dog)
    I was induced at 41 weeks.
    2) I have a healthy diet in general but when I was pregnant I really reduced the amount of sugar I consumed, even though I was careful about that before pregnancy. Being pregnant really made me more aware of my snacking habits so I changed to a lot more healthy snacks.
    3) first (and only) baby
    4) 21" long, 7 lbs 13 ounces.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • 1. I was fairly active, I went to the gym 3-5x a week and walked our dog 1-2miles every night. DD wad born 41w2d.
    2. I ate healthy, I enjoyed ice cream but I made sure I had lots of fruits, veggies and protein
    3. First and only child
    4.8lbs9.5oz 21in
  • Stephij1Stephij1 member
    edited October 2014
    1- I was fairly inactive. I worked in an office and had a mini eliptical under my desk, so using that while I was working was pretty much my only exercise. DD was born on her due date.

2- I ate horribly. Usually I'm a very healthy eater, but I was so sick the entire pregnancy that I literally just ate what I felt like I could keep down. Usually that was carbs and almost no protein.

3- First baby. Now expecting #2.

4- 7 lbs, 0.5 oz, 19 inches long

• sharaya said:
    1) If you were fairly active during your pregnancy, when (in relation to your due date) was baby born (assuming no complications)?
    I was active all throughout my pregnancy and delivered (induced) at 38+0 because of Cholestasis.

2) how "healthy" was your diet?
    My diet was fairly good, but low on calorie intake (just wasn't hungry).  I ate a lot of veggies and meat, not much for fruit though.  Downfalls: Coffee, Pepsi, and fast-food tacos, lol (craving).

3) Was it your first child? second? etc?
    First

4) How long was baby and how much did he/she weigh?
    20" long, 6lbs 9.8oz.

I'm sure it's all anecdotal, but it'll help kind of distract me from the antsiness of waiting for his arrival  I know he'll arrive when he's ready, but it's fun to learn about!

Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • 1. I was pretty active. I ran at least 4 miles five days a week up until the day I went into labor. Prior to getting pregnant, I was averaging 40 miles of running and cycling 75 plus miles per week.

2. Very healthy diet. I definitely snacked throughout the day mostly fruits, raw veg, nuts, etc.

3. First child. My doctor told me that I would VERY likely go early and have a (relatively) easy labor. I went into labor on my EDD but was in labor for 36 hours.

4. 20 inches and 7.0 lbs

As you can see by the responses, it varies significantly from person to person. Based on everything I was told and my research, I expected to have an early and quick labor but that didn't happen. My advice is to limit your expectations because it's totally out of your control.:)
  • 1. I ran 4-6 miles 5x a week up until 33 weeks, then shifted those runs to walks, usually 3-5 miles 5x/week. Also did body pump and spinning throughout the entire pregnancy, to include even when I was 41 weeks. Honestly, I felt amazing during pregnancy, no discomforts at all, and joked when I was overdue that I felt like I could go another month and be okay with it. I delivered at 41w + 4d and it was an induction.
    2. Very healthy diet. I am a Registered Dietitian and tend to have a pretty "perfect" diet with few splurges.
    3. First and only child
    4. Baby was 7lbs 1 oz and 19.5 inches.

Biggest lesson I learned is activity doesn't mean as much as I hoped it would for delivery/recovery. My baby never descended and I never dilated on my own. The induction took 2 days to work. Once I did dilate it happened quickly (2cm to 10cm in 2 hours) and baby was born quickly but forceps were used. I tore horribly (3rd degree), my tear reopened and got infected, and 9 days post delivery I am still pretty much completely incapacitated. Everyone told me how easy is have it since I was so active and healthy, but from the induction to today has been one long nightmare, with my baby girl being the only bright spot.