February 2015 Moms
Options

45min naps

anyones babies napping longer than 45min consistently?? If so what are you tricks. My baby loves her 45min naps. Randomly it can be an hour. She sleeps awesome at night. Just want her naps to be a tad longer so we aren't doing her naps 6-7 times a day

Re: 45min naps

• Options
    My baby sleeps best laying on my chest actually. But then that traps you down of course. It's a really sweet bonding time tho as long as you don't mind staying in one place for so long :)
  • Options
    Mine is a 45 minute napper too. If you find a solution I'd love to know!
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Swaddling helps mine, even though he fights it at first
  • Options
    I have the same problem... I tried sticking his swaddle in the dryer for warmth and that led to a hour and half nap! My dr suggested it.
  • Options
    My LO is 8 weeks. We just had our 2 month appt and pediatrician said "cat naps" (30-45 minutes) is to be expected at this stage. I can SOMETIMES get an hour to an hour and a half but that's not too often. What has helped us is putting him in his nighttime sleeping arrangement - our room, blinds closed, fan on, in his Rock n Play. When I attempt naps in the living room or other places he's always fidgety and doesn't last too long!
  • Options
    My LO takes a solid 2.5-3 hour nap mid morning. The only way to guarantee it doesn't turn into a cat nap (like they are the rest of the day) is to swaddle him as soon as he falls asleep. No delaying or he'll fuss getting into the swaddle and then won't nap.
  • Options
    Here is the best solution out there...correctly swaddle and get them on schedule!!! And you should put them down awake so they learn how to soothe themselves. Seriously, until we swaddled this way our LO never slept more than an hour at a time. The trick is to get the Mom's On Call swaddle blanket. All other ones are too small for the growing babies. And once on a schedule never let them take naps that last more than 1.2 to 2 hours during the day or they won't sleep well at night. And ALWAYA make sure there is 3 hours between the last two feedings of the day before going down for the night. This will ensure they eat a lot and will sleep longer. To help get them through that first long stretch at night, make sure that bedtime feeding is done with a bottle so they get the most ammount of ounces as possible (never let them suck the bottle dry). This can be expressed milk, formula, or a combination of both. It also helps to have the same bedtime routine each night. For example, let's say their second to last feeding is at 4pm...wake them at 7pm, give them a bath, feed by Bottle (this is the tender time), change/swaddle well and put down. I can not emphasize swaddling tightly CORRECTLY enough. You can feel comfortable with this method because nurses (who also have many children) designed this technique (and wrote their books).

Our LO was swaddled before we did this method, but would never sleep for more than an hour or so at a time. But once we started this at 4wks of age she began sleeping 6-9 hours at night instantly! And now we WAKE her from her naps after 2 hours and feed every 3 hours during the day.

Here is a YouTube link to how to do the Mom's On Call swaadle.
    https://youtu.be/Osbg3fJRn5M
    You can get theur swaddle blankets off their website as well as their book on how to get your baby on a schedule (the schedules are based on their age): Momsoncall.com

I hope you check out this video and get their swaddle blanket because it really saved us! We were beginning to think something was wrong with our LO because of her lack of sleep and constant crying. Turned out she needed this swaddle and once she got it she was able to rest more and in turn is now a happy baby. :)
  • Options
    I don't like the above advice, simply because it makes it sound like this is the solution for all babies and it's simply untrue. What works for your baby will not work for everyone and it shouldn't be presented as such.

If your baby is sleeping well at night, and seems happy enough during the day, 45 minute naps happen and should eventually consolidate with age.

Babies who are extremely fussy or colicky have more trouble sleeping. I don't know if that's a contributing factor or not. If the post above was the answer to everyone's sleep woes, you'd be a millionaire.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015