Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Preventing ear infections

Has anyone had any luck preventing ear infections? My poor little girl is 10 months old and has had 4 so far and I'm afraid she has another one. I really don't want her to have to get tubes and I'm afraid that is what the doctor is going to suggest:( anyone had any tried and true methods???

Re: Preventing ear infections

• Pediatric chiropractors can help with ear infections. They say it's due to pressure pushing on the tiny bones (or something like that I can't remember) and they can relieve it. 

It's worth a consult to see if that is something you would try.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Pediatric chiropractors can help with ear infections. They say it's due to pressure pushing on the tiny bones (or something like that I can't remember) and they can relieve it. 

It's worth a consult to see if that is something you would try.
    This.
    My second oldest was hard of hearing and has gone through two tube sets.  She has the last set removed on Friday.  She wouldn't speak and when she did her words were unclear.  It was amazing the change.  Her speech took off immediately.  Like the other response said about the timing, this was our experience exactly.  She was 2 the first time and four the second time.  She is now seven.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wash hands & dry ears well. Other then that you can't do much. Often it's the shape & individual anatomy of the ear that causes repeat infections.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Our ped suggested elevating one end of the crib, just a little bit and that has seemed to help us. We've only had one double ear infection so far.
  • MaladroitMaladroit member
    edited March 2015
    We've luckily not had any ear infections yet.  Try not giving baby a bottle lying flat, since the anatomy of the ears in young kiddos can cause a little milk to sit (Ears, nose, and throat, are all connected and open to each other afterall) there overnight and where there is milk/formula sitting, bacteria will grow. Sitting upright to drink helps.  Avoid second-hand smoke, keep babe up-to-date on immunizations, and breastfeed until 12 months if possible (for antibodies).  Tubes really arent't the end of the world, though.  Kids handle the surgery SO well.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • ohlimohlim member
    It seems irrelevant but I use Xclear to clean my baby's nose and I've read that this helps to prevent ear infections as well.  The xylitol in Xclear is good for infection prevention.  I use a couple drops up LO's nose every night and then the snot sucker to clean his nose after bath time. If you've tried everything and nothing else has worked, I would give this a shot.  If it doesn't work, at least your LO has a clean nose and better breathing as a side effect :)
  • Tubes were the best thing for both my boys in fact I pushed for them at 10 months for DS 2. I would rather have a kid who is well and can hear than be fighting ear infections all the time. The surgery took less than 10 minutes and neither were ever sick again even a cold.