September 2015 Moms

Maternity Clothes Shopping Suggestions

I have tried to put off long enough not buying any maternity clothes, but I can't do it anymore!  I work in an office, so I need professional clothing as well as things for the weekend.  What are some good places to buy maternity clothes that won't break the bank AND that are fairly true to size since most my shopping will probably be done online??

Re: Maternity Clothes Shopping Suggestions

• I've had good luck shopping online for maternity clothes at Old Navy and Destination Maternity. For some reason Gap maternity clothes do not work on me, though I did keep one pair of maternity jeans I got from them, everything else I bought, I returned. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • klpieklpie member
    I've liked everything I've gotten from Gap Maternity, but I can't find a thing I like at Motherhood Maternity.
    I'm gonna try A Pea in a Pod in a couple weeks when I'm in a bigger city that has one. Finding maternity clothes I actually like has been a struggle...
  • Loading the player...
  • Old Navy is good and affordable. I just feel like this is such a temporary wardrobe I'd rather not spend a ton of money on it. I bought some staple items from Old Navy and also found some great items at second hand shops (I know not everyone is into the idea of second hand shops/thift stores but I am). Good luck!
  • I've bought all my maternity pants from Kohl's ... the store near me has a small maternity section and I was able to find jeans, cropped jeans, dress pants, and shorts there. I've been wearing them for almost 10 weeks and they've held up really well.

The only maternity shirts I've bought so far are from Old Navy ... I really like their v-neck t-shirts with the cinching on the sides. Otherwise I've just bought non-maternity longer shirts a size up in material that will stretch a bit as I grow.
  • Macy's is good because they stock both Motherhood and Pea in the Pod so I feel there is more variety. Sometimes stores such as Ross also stock maternity (just depends on your area). One thing you could do is buy maternity pants but larger, longer non-maternity tops.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just went maternity clothes shopping yesterday! I wasn't going to go to Motherhood Maternity because I'm 22 and i thought it was going to be too "mommy." I'm trying to stick to maxi dresses and skirts so they arent just a one time wear but I also really wanted one pair of shorts. I am soooo glad I went. They have absolutely adorable clothes, I ended up spending $100 on 3 dresses and a pair of shorts. Not bad!
    I also got 2 regular dresses from old Navy (one was $12 the other was $25. and from Papaya I got 2 maxi skirts ($10 each!) and a super cute maxi dress for $5! I will be going back to Motherhood Maternity especially right before baby is born, they have lots of nursing tanks and shirts that will be super convenient for breast feeding. Plus everything is seriously adorable
  • Target doesn't have a huge selection in their stores, but the sizing is good and it's office appropriate. Their shipping takes forever, but if you can find a few pieces in-store, you can be done with office stuff all at once.
  • Gap has been the best for me also. Their jeans are so comfy and are always on sale. I also bought some ponte pants and a skirt that I wear to work. My office is on the dressy side and they blend in well.
  • mykiej said:

Gap has been the best for me also. Their jeans are so comfy and are always on sale. I also bought some ponte pants and a skirt that I wear to work. My office is on the dressy side and they blend in well.

Huh. Looks like Gap is having a 50% off spring sale (online).
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • destination maternity has lots of sales and lots of options but it is mostly casual or dress casual. not so much for work but you can find good work pants there. i would recommend going there to start. they also carry a pea in a pod which is fantastic. jcrew also makes good maternity pants for work and shopbop.com has a nice maternity selection.
  • Pickles and ice cream has the cutest clothes ever! They are super pricey but it's the only thing I've found that not maternity jeans and t shirts
  • I totally did most of my maternity shopping in other people's closets and thrift stores.  The few things I did buy were from either Boscovs or Kohls.  Boscovs carries the motherhood and maternity brand.  I also have a shirt someone got me at dress barn that I can't believe is not a maternity shirt.  It ties under the bust and is extremely long and flowy (as in: covering a 9 month bump flowy)  So it might not be a bad idea to check there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • For professional clothing- gap and the loft by far! Read the reviews and you should be able to accurately determine size. Also wait for sales! I got work pants from the loft for $14! And tops for $7! Gap also has some good sales.
  • The best jeans I've found were from H&M. They don't have a faux waistband and are super comfortable. I bought two other pairs of jeans from a boutique that are nearly unbearable at five months; they are trying to look like real jeans and have belt loops and everything, and just dig in and are hard to wear for a whole day.

My issue is finding dresses. I'm so petite on top and most dresses I try on bag at the shoulders. I don't want to spend money on alterations.
  • Old navy and kolhs were affordable I couldn't make myself buy at motherhooda prices
  • For work clothes, I bought 3 pairs of dress pants and a skirt at motherhood maternity. Sometimes they have decent sales
    I'd like to get a couple pairs of dress capris for summer
    And for shirts, either motherhood maternity or Macy's
    They sometimes have buy 3 get 1 free sales so that helps
  • For weekends I LOVE maxi skirts and a tank top. My last baby was a September baby too and I wore that all the way up to the day I delivered - target sells some awesome non-maternity tank tops that are long enough to cover a full-term bump - I just bought two sizes up and they were perfect. My husband jokes that I have a "pregnancy uniform" haha because I wear it almost every day. Easy and comfy!