March 2015 Moms
Options

When is it okay to take baby in public places?

I had my little guy on March 21st so he almost a month old! But I'm concerned about taking him with me to the grocery store and out to restaurants. I'm a FTM and don't want to have my baby getting sick any advice would be great! We do go for walk in the park and he has a cover for his carrier.

Re: When is it okay to take baby in public places?

• Options
    My daughter is almost 6 weeks. I took her to the grocery store when she was a week old. Since then we've taken the train in town a few times to go meet daddy at work.
  • Options
    My son was born the 21st too. We go for stroller walks whenever the weather's nice. We've done errands together (target, grocery store, etc.) and gone out to brunch where we sat outside. I'm still wary of him being in big crowds of people and going out makes me a little paranoid, but I feel like we can't hide inside forever. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks just hate the idea of him getting sick... But very helpful.
  • Options
    It helps to wear baby, then it's easier to keep germy folks away. Just avoid major crowds and anyone sick. If you're really worried, you could wait till two months - when baby starts vaccines. Just wash hands and do your best!
  • Options
    Our daughter was born on the 23rd & we have taken her to a restaurant, church, and the grocery store. Avoid sick people, having a cover over the carrier or baby wearing helps.
  • Options
    I waited till my first was two months old. We are going to wait until two months with this baby too. We go out for walks almost everyday though!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I find this very strange - I think this must be a U.S./UK difference. We're told that if baby is healthy and breastfeeding, then crowds aren't a problem. The only thing we've been advised not to do is take the tube (subway) otherwise everything else is encouraged!
  • Options
    My baby was born on 3/31. She's been to the park and to a restaurant, covered of course. I'm just cautious of people touching her or being near her that haven't washed their hands. She's isn't going to be out and about everywhere until her 2 months shots are given.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I find this very strange - I think this must be a U.S./UK difference. We're told that if baby is healthy and breastfeeding, then crowds aren't a problem. The only thing we've been advised not to do is take the tube (subway) otherwise everything else is encouraged!

@secretbaba Sometimes it's a cultural thing. For me, I'm mostly worried about parents that don't believe in vaccinations and letting their sick kids out in public. Heard about the measles outbreak at Disneyland?
  • Options
    Yeah, I definitely agree it's more culture/location specific. So far (and I say that for a reason, the conspiracies seem to be working on more people) we don't have the problem epidemic that you have across the pond - and babies get their BCG/TB jab very early. BUT the more people who decide not to jab their children, then eventually I'm sure it'll be a similar issue. @KD32412
  • Options
    Wearing a carrier sounds like a great plan for me he loves to be held and easier then carting around the carrier and everything else! Thanks for the great advice I never thought I'd be a worrier over these things but it's such a change being a FTM and not wanting to make mistakes.
  • Options
    It is definitely cultural - I'm Scottish living in the States and it's very different.
  • Options
    With my first son, I was a hermit for about 7 weeks. With this one, we have taken her everywhere. She has gone to professional baseball games, college sporting events, my sons soccer practice, grocery stores, mall, church, park, seaworld, ripleys museum, etc. I could keep going but it is safe to say that we haven't really kept to the staying indoors thing. I am breastfeeding and I usually wear her and don't let random strangers touch her. We have had a lot of family around and they all hold her. She is still healthy. It is just super hard to stay indoors when I have a crazy active toddler who needs to do things.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been out and about with my 4 week old for awhile now. I agree with PPs about babywearing. It generally helps keep hands away. Nothing wrong with taking a new baby out. Our pedi encourages it, just not to pass him around or let tons of people touch his hands and face. Also, I don't know if you're BFing or not, but that helps give protection against getting sick (of course not a sure bet, but it helps!).