Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Anxiety - anyone else?

I'm having pretty bad anxiety the past couple of weeks, and I'm afraid it's only getting worse. I had this problem with my first daughter five years ago and ended up going to therapy for a while.
I can't hep but constantly think of random stuff that could happen with LO - what if she doesn't sleep, what if I can't transition her to the crib before I go back to work, etc....Just lots of what-ifs. (A lot of my anxiety centers around her sleeping because sleep deprivation is one of my greatest fears; thankfully DD sleeps through the night already).
My dd has been asleep for the past two and half hours for a nap and that never happens - I should be relaxing but instead I can't concentrate on the book I'm reading because I am too anxious and my mind keeps wandering. I find myself grinding my teeth and giving myself a headache because I'm stressed, but it's over nothing concrete or very specific.

Anyone else going through this? I don't want to end up in therapy again so I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of this constant feeling of anxiety.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anxiety - anyone else?

• Options
    I have similar issues, but my trigger is child loss so I worry about sleeping through lo needing me. Therapy a couple of years back was tremendously helpful; 478 breathing and affirmations were helpful (Google either for instructions). Aromatherapy with peppermint, grapefruit, and lavender essential oils are great for chilling out an in the moment flare.

This being said, you should talk with your provider about your anxiety. It can just be hormonal due to postpartum, but without addressing and managing the issue the triggers revolve around, all the coping techniques are bandaids when what you really need is stitches.
  • Options

Holy crap you described exactly what I went through when DD was like 6 weeks old (she's 4.5 months now). I had those EXACT thoughts and most of my anxiety was around sleeping because I was also afraid of sleep deprivation. But I've always thought about the "what if's" and about things that might happen in the future or be hard. It sucked.

My solution: meds. I got through the anxiety on my own with my first kid but for some reason I couldn't shake it with this baby so I got on a low dose of Zoloft. My god that shit helped, and quickly too. I feel like I can handle it all now.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    See your doctor...I had the same issues. The baby blues set into anxiety and it never got better. I finally got on some meds 4 months post partum (buspirone). It makes life a lot better...please don't hesitate to ask for help.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice. Did your OB prescribe the anxiety medication? And did you start seeing a therapist?
    I've seen a therapist in the past for anxiety-related issues but don't know how I'd do that now that LO is so young and I'm breastfeeding constantly. My husband could give her a bottle while I'm away, but he has trouble getting her to sleep for naps so I feel like leaving her at this point causes even more anxiety thinking that he's having a hard time with her.
    Ugh, I wish I could shake this feeling of being so anxious about everything but it's not going away. It's like a dark cloud hanging over my head and everything I do.
  • Options
    I felt the same way with DD and was it on a low dose of Zoloft like PP said. It was amazing! This time around I had my OB prescribe it in the hospital so I had it right away. I still have anxiety but not at all like it was with DD.

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mac1178 said:

Thank you all for your advice. Did your OB prescribe the anxiety medication? And did you start seeing a therapist?
    I've seen a therapist in the past for anxiety-related issues but don't know how I'd do that now that LO is so young and I'm breastfeeding constantly. My husband could give her a bottle while I'm away, but he has trouble getting her to sleep for naps so I feel like leaving her at this point causes even more anxiety thinking that he's having a hard time with her.
    Ugh, I wish I could shake this feeling of being so anxious about everything but it's not going away. It's like a dark cloud hanging over my head and everything I do.

Then you definitely need to get help ASAP. You are just wasting time that you could be feeling better. I know you have anxiety about even getting away for an appointment but you NEED to do this for yourself so find a way.

I went to a therapist just to talk about things, but a psychiatrist had to prescribe meds. Sometimes a primary care physician can prescribe them but you'd have to ask. Every doctor handles that part differently.

• Options
    mac1178mac1178 member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks, I called a therapist yesterday to get an appointment. I'm just glad I'm more aware of my anxiety this time around and I know it will pass with time, as it did with my first daughter. I just have to make sure to stay conscious of this and don't let myself get too sucked into the doom and gloom of the anxiety. I'm determined to get past this.
  • Options
    I'm so glad you decided to make an appointment. I spent almost two years after I had DD not being able to enjoy anything because I was in such a state. ((hugs))
  • Options
    I definitely have some serious mommy anxiety going on. However I talked to my doctor about it and he recommended me a therapist. You should do the same. You don't have to live with anxiety!