May 2015 Moms

Caught between two names.....stressing me out to the brink of tears....

I know this is another "help me name my baby" thread, but my husband and I are stuck between two names for our daughter. I prefer one while he wants the other, but he basically told me tonight that ultimately he'd let me "win", which makes me feel horrible. How did everyone else handle choosing a name? I'm kind of stressing about it because I feel like this is the first major decision we will make for her and what if we "get it wrong"?

We are deciding between Rachel Ann and Katherine Ann (Katie).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: Caught between two names.....stressing me out to the brink of tears....

• That's what we were planning on doing, but I just worry that once she's here we will still be stuck between the two names and I want her to be the focus, not trying to pick a name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If that's the plan then stick with the plan and stop stressing out! It's not good for either of you! Hopefully you will just know when you see her!
  • I like Rachel better since it's not as common. But I would just wait until she gets here. I feel like you will know when you see her. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • I like Katherine! Classic and lots of nick names! I chose my daughters first name-Hartley so he got the middle name-Annelise! Same with my 2yr old I got the first name-Liberty and he got the middle name-Elayna!
  • My hubby and I are in the exact same situation. I like Brielle and he likes Audrey. We both like each others names but he said I can choose but I feel guilty!
  • Rachel Katherine?
  • Katherine is very pretty and classic sounding.
  • Like you I want to be fair and agree on a name together but I got to admit it makes 100000x harder to find the right name ..each time I thought we found a name we both like he would still keep talking about looking for new names and only recently I found a name he sounds like he generally likes so I've locked it in no more looking it's done! Sometimes the women need to just take charge because men tend to be more chilled about these things
  • We had two names on the burner when my son was born - my favorite and my DHs favorite. By the time I was finished labouring I had been up for almost 48 hours straight and when my DH asked which name I wanted I really didn't care. So, DH got his favorite. I couldn't imagine my son being called anything else now.
    The moral of the story is that you will end up calling her something and you will end up being ok with whichever name you choose. So will your DH. Don't stress.
  • Katherine is pretty, Rachel is too ethnic
  • khaleesi123khaleesi123 member
    edited April 2015

Katherine is pretty, Rachel is too ethnic

That is the first time I've ever heard of Rachel being too ethnic.. When I think of Rachel I think of 'Friends'
  • I was in the same situation. I really wanted one name and my husband wanted another. I gave in to letting him have the first name and I have/pick the middle name. I think either name you decide on- she will love. You won't mess up or make the wrong decision!!! Trust.
  • We've been in a similar situation.  We've been stuck between Elisa and Cora for months now.  When I tell DH that I'm leaning toward one or the other, his response is, "that's fine."  I don't want it to be "just fine" though!  I want it to be wonderful, great, perfect!  I feel like this is such a big decision because it's something DD will have to live with for her whole life.  "Fine" just doesn't cut it for me! 

Anyways, I know that my situation doesn't help you but I wish you luck!!  For what it's worth, I like Katherine.  :)  It's one of our top middle name choices for DD (only we'd spell it with a C)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you everyone. I think the probably I'm having with all of this is that my husband is more flexible (3rd out of 4 children) so he is used to just going with the flow, to the point that he will NOT fight with me on anything and it drives me crazy. It makes me think sometimes that he doesn't care or it doesn't matter to him, when I know it does. It's caused several shouting (on my part) fights. We even fought the morning we put the offer in on our house because he was so "whatever" about it. I'm first born BTW and totally a type-A. I just don't want to disappoint him if we chose my preference over his. However, we have already said that whatever the next one is we have one boy name and one girl name (whichever name we don't pick this time around). No discussions needed. 
  • Flip a coin. Heads is Rachel, tails is Katherine.

How did you feel when you saw the result? Disappointed or relieved?
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wait til she is here. We had the names zoey mae and Victoria rose picked out for her and when we saw here we just knew she was a Zoey. We are planning on having choices for this one too and we will go with whatever "fits" the baby. Both names you have picked are beautiful and the decision will come to you in time. Don't stress :)
  • I would go back over some names and look till one really pops out at you! Sometime you need to see you sweet baby's face frist, anyway good luck!
  • There was no reaction from either of us when the tech told us, "It's a girl" because we honestly didn't/don't care. After everything that we went through with this pregnancy, it didn't matter. We originally had triplets with no fertility treatments (one singleton and one set of identical twins) and at about 9 weeks we miscarried the twins. We had heard all three heartbeats and have U/S of all of them. Baby girl is the singleton. We are just thankful to have a healthy baby. We had always said that if we have a girl, we are going to have trouble with a name. A boy, we've had that name picked out for years. Even a second boy, we have a name.

We aren't really fighting about her name. I just don't want either one of us to feel disappointed and I know in the end, he will go with the name that I want and it makes me sad that it'll be him "just going with whatever I want". I want him to be happy with our daughter's name. 
  • MrsS728 said:

I just don't want either one of us to feel disappointed and I know in the end, he will go with the name that I want and it makes me sad that it'll be him "just going with whatever I want". I want him to be happy with our daughter's name. 

In my experience, she becomes whatever name you pick very quickly and then it's not about you at all. You won't be able to imagine her having any other name! 

It's hard not to stress it, but it's really her opinion that matters and not either of yours, and she will be free to change her name if she wants.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Rachel-Katiann?
  • why are you upset that he's letting you win? lol I really liked a name and DH wasn't sure, I kept telling him that i've wanted it since i was a little girl and he eventually caved lol
  • What's ethnic about Rachel??? Lol I'm so confused by that post.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What's ethnic about Rachel??? Lol I'm so confused by that post.

I've been wondering this too. It is so not ethnic.
  • Katherine sounds cuter lol