June 2015 Moms
Options

Baby proofing

edited April 2015 in June 2015 Moms
After taking our infant safety class yesterday, I'm wondering what people's thoughts/plans for baby proofing are? I know that we have plenty of time before gates and outlet plugs and the like are truly necessary, but also that getting things done after the baby comes might be challenging... Any thoughts from STM(+) or those of you with child care experience? Any baby proofing tasks that you would specifically wait on? Or things that you wish you had addressed sooner? Appreciate any insight.
Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
2nd round exp 8/20/18.
Meow.

Re: Baby proofing

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Definitely at least doing plugs. Probably not doing gates because our apartment is so small that there's not really a need for it. We'll probably also get those locks for cabinets where we keep cleaning supplies. I'm worried about some of our furniture, specifically a bookshelf and 2 coffee tables with glass centers that can be lifted up out of their frames... I just KNOW they're going to get whacked by toys and I'm worried about the glass shattering. I'm fine with getting rid of them, but DH loves them so he's not crazy about the idea. Guess that's a bridge we'll cross down the road.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Everything is pretty baby proofed in our house. Make sure to secure all furniture to the wall! I would honestly wait for the plugs/gates etc until they are 4-6 months. My biggest challenge will be keeping my 4 year olds toys out of reach. I think we might put up a fate to their playroom so they understand that those toys can't leave that room
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I'm going to have DH secure the TV (its freestanding right now) and I'll go ahead and use the secure straps on my shelving units (bookshelves, game rack, etc). I'll slowly work my way thru plugs as time goes on. I will end up with at least a gate or two, as our house is tri-level, but I'm not going to worry about gates until kid is mobile

ETA - the cupboard locks I'll work my way thru room by room as baby explores house more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't think of anything you would need til around 4-6 months. Just make sure your carbon monoxide alarm is working (I know common sense but some forget) and then outlet plugs, cupboard locks and the TV straps to hold tv down. I got rid of my glass tables the first time I saw my first smack her hands on them..was so nervous about her breaking it and getting in glass I just went with wooden ones.
  • Options
    If you have a gas stove like we do, knob covers! I would probably still get these regardless of baby, because there have been times I have not been paying attention fully while in the kitchen and accidentally leaned against one of the knobs and a few seconds later I smell gas. It's the scariest thing for me- I'm constantly checking to make sure all knobs are off.
  • Options
    I highly recommend waiting to see what your kid gets into...mine never cared about drawers and cabinets - I locked the chemicals up and knives, but everything else he could open and didn't...
  • Options
    I was planning on doing this 6 months out. My dh is upset but he has to get rid of his glass tables, I know too many kids who have gotten hurt from them.
  • Options
    Baby gates if you have dogs. It was nice to be able to lay little one down and not have to worry about dogs jumping on baby at inappropriate times or licking baby's face. That was the only baby proofing that was necessary for us in the beginning. Strapping heavy furniture is a must for me just because I've heard of scary things happening. Plug in and cupboards aren't necessary until the Lo is on the move.
  • Options
    Not baby proofing anything now. Probably plug covers later and then seeing what baby to do that im not going crazy. Our dog does not lick anything but his junk and has no interest in anyone but himself so not too worried about keeping them separate.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.