May 2015 Moms

Placenta Party! Who's in?!

Hey, who is consuming their own placenta (either raw in a smoothie, or in capsules, or a tincture, etc)? What made you decide? Anyone preparing it on their own? I am and my mother thinks I'm crazy. I realized I could encapsulate it myself for $80 instead of paying $250+. Pretending to be brave here...

But let's hear it!

Re: Placenta Party! Who's in?!

• I have a friend who does encapsulation and she's doing mine for me. Not sure I believe in the benefits but I figure that billions of Chinese mothers can't be all wrong. My midwife is from China and she swears by it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I ate mine from my first child. My brother pan seared it with onions and garlic (I was even vegan at the time) but when I ate it my body said, "yes!" And I devoured it. All the color came back into my face and I had enough energy to walk downstairs to take a bath.
    I would check it to make sure it looks healthy, I've seen some that are less healthy looking than others.
    I own a dehydrator now, so maybe I'll try that way this time.
  • I would encapsulate IF I could justify fitting it into the budget, but it's not going to happen. I would do it if money weren't the issue. There's no solid evidence that it works but lots of testimonies. I figured it certainly can't hurt anything and if it has the benefits that I've read about it, it would be great!

imageimageimage

• I'm having mine encapsulated. I've struggled with anxiety and OCD in the past and am worried about post-partum baby blues, so I figure why not? It definitely can't hurt and if it keeps me off meds longer so that I can breast feed then I'm all for it!
  • This is the first i hear about anyone eating their placenta! In all the baby research i did it never came up, do you guys actually mean eating it?
  • I've nursed many women who swear by it. One of them froze hers and would have a slice blended up in a banana milkshake every morning for a month. I still can't stomach a banana milkshake because of this. Not something I'd personally do, but to each their own.
  • hannahhassonnhannahhassonn member
    edited April 2015
    mars8k said:

This is the first i hear about anyone eating their placenta! In all the baby research i did it never came up, do you guys actually mean eating it?

Oh boy! Yes it's a thing...gaining popularity in the US. Helps with post-partum depression, milk supply, energy, bleeding, and a host of other things. But the sounds of it are revolting! I never in a million years would have done it, but I've just heard WAY too many good things about it. Read up!
  • I'll be having mine encapsulated. I didn't with DD but thought I'd give it a try. My friend is my doula so she will be doing it.
  • ryemoryemo member
    I encapsulate placentas (I was even on NPR last winter talking about it) and my midwife is doing it for me. I was going to do it myself but she wants me to be resting.
  • ekaebekaeb member
    It's not for me. But I say go for it if ur brave enough. I dnt see what the harm is in trying. Other animals do it why not give it a try!!
  • Other animals lick there bums to clean it too. More power to you brave ladies!!! I would like an update on how it actually goes though. One post said they cooked it with onions and garlic.... Did I miss the memo on eating organs...
  • Cooler and gallon bags packed for placenta encapsulation. The possible benefits are too inticing to pass up. The cost to me was $150 to have it picked up at the hospital, encapsulated, and delivered back to me the next day in pill form. Help with any baby blues, breast milk, and recovery is worth a try.
  • I was going to do it but I'm a little nervous about a potential link to breast cancer? Not that eating your placenta could CAUSE that, obviously, but if you have the genetic predisposition - this might not help? I read a couple articles, but really- there's no evidence either way. For that - I'm pretty sure I'll pass. I haven't heard of anyone that regretted doing it though
  • I'm doing encapsulation. I'm paying a local woman who is certified to do it ($165 for her to pick it up, prepare it, and bring it to me). I am at higher risk for postpartum issues (it's not just PPD....there's also anxiety, OCD, etc.) so it's worth a try to me. Even if the only reason it helps is placebo effect, it still helps. My doctor and doula agree it's a good idea and the research shows that it's overwhelmingly helpful for most.
  • To each their own, and if it is beneficial more power to you. But the thought makes me nauseous.
  • This made me feel quite poorly. There's literally no need. :-??
  • This made me feel quite poorly. There's literally no need. :-??

Your opinion.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am! The benefits are sooo worth it. Unfortunately my hospital doesn't allow me to have it because they keep all the placentas to sell to cosmetic companies so I'm prepared to steal it.
  • I'm having mine encapsulated. I struggled with PPD last time and would eat almost anything to be free of that this time.
  • I am! The benefits are sooo worth it. Unfortunately my hospital doesn't allow me to have it because they keep all the placentas to sell to cosmetic companies so I'm prepared to steal it.

Whaaat?! What on earth do cosmetic companies do with placentas?? I've never heard this before!
  • MegsB1112 said:

I am! The benefits are sooo worth it. Unfortunately my hospital doesn't allow me to have it because they keep all the placentas to sell to cosmetic companies so I'm prepared to steal it.

Whaaat?! What on earth do cosmetic companies do with placentas?? I've never heard this before!
    I've heard that some high end shampoos and hair products use it. I've never actually seen one though. Maybe it's not allowed in the states...
  • I won't be. There's a few reason , one is I'm o neg and the baby is more likely a positive blood type and consuming it could make me ill. Second I can't afford it. It is interesting though.
  • Yeah no way.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

How can the hospital keep your placenta to sell to a cosmetic company?!!?!  It's your placenta.
  • I won't be. There's a few reason , one is I'm o neg and the baby is more likely a positive blood type and consuming it could make me ill. Second I can't afford it. It is interesting though.

I never ever planned to consume the placenta, to me it's just weird. But more power to everyone who wants to.

I didn't even think about the blood type thing.. I'm O- as well and hubby has a positive blood type so I'm guessing baby will be too. Just one more reason for me to not participate in this one
  • In an interesting turn of events I won a gift basket from a doula at Babypalooza this weekend. Along with the container of breast salve, vials of essential oils and an adorable breast beanie is a $25 doula services gift certificate which can be used toward encapsulation. Hmmmm...

This doula is booked through August which is way too late for me to use her services but the placenta thing has been on my mind since this morning when she called me. I'm giving it a little thought even though DH is totally grossed out at the idea. lol