March 2015 Moms

Mommies with fur babies at home

edited April 2015 in March 2015 Moms
I have a cat, and I've always loved her. Since I had my baby I can't stand her ! She isn't doing anything, but she is being super clingy. She's all over me while I'm trying to breast feed , and she's always trying to lay in the baby's crib and in her swing.
I feel soooo bad because I feel like I'm being mean. I know this is silly, but is anyone else's pet being super annoying ? Did you ever like them again ? It's random I know , I just feel so bad for my little kitty cat. :(

Re: Mommies with fur babies at home

• I don't know much about cats but I do know dogs. They need to feel loved just as much when a new baby comes home, even if it's the last thing you feel like doing. You'll feel better when she feels better and gets back to normal. I'm not sure, but I imagine maybe cats also like to feel protective over their families? That may be why she's all over you. Have you introduced her to your newest daughter? I'd say it'll just take time, but that's only going off basic animal knowledge - not cat specific!
  • My dog has been extra clingy, but he has also taken to our little one and has become very protective of her. It does get annoying when he sniffs her head when she's on my lap and gets her hair all dog slobbery. He's a huge chocolate lab, so gentle but excitable. It took awhile to warm back up to him when we got home from the hospital. Now we are all comfortable with one another. Maybe your cat will become less clingy once she gets used to the new normal. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • It gets better ! I have two dogs. It's a little different because I can just stick them in the backyard or in their crates when I need a little space. But I bet you're just feeling irritable from lack of sleep. My four year old daughter is SUPER SUPEr Clingy and in my space since her brother came home and it's driving me NUTS .. But I know it's from lack of sleep. :)

Is there any way you can like ... Put the cat in a room on occasion? Or in like an outdoor play area thing ? I don't have a cat but I would imagine that's what I would do. You just need a break and a little space!
  • It's definitely a lot of extra work you probably don't feel you have the energy for to teach your cat the new rules now that baby is here. I feel for you! I have 2 dogs and did a lot of reading on preparing pets for baby. Based on that my suggestion is do not allow the cat in the crib/swing/seat (you can make a noise she dislikes or spray w water) and discourage her from being in your face when feeding. Like PP said, she may be feeling neglected, and as you know cats feel they are the queen! She may just need reassurance, maybe take time to snuggle with her or pet her when LO is napping or get a laser and play with her while you're feeding LO? If you go suddenly cold and distant she will likely associate that w baby and resent the baby, and that won't be good for anyone. It's an adjustment for everyone in the family, pets included! There is quite a bit of literature out there on the subject, so if you find time you might find some good ideas online. Best wishes, keep your chin up!! :)
  • I feel so guilty about my two little dogs. They got so much love while I was st home the last week of my pregnancy and now I'm terrified to even rub them because of germs. They've been amazing with LO , not jealous at all, but they keep trying to get me to play with them and I won't. I ask my husband and visiting family to give them extra love during this time and I'm just hoping things get back to normal soon.
  • Omg I totally hear you !!! We have a young dog who's large and likes to jump/give kisses. So I've been trying not to isolate him as best I can, and just train him not to jump on or lick the baby.... But when I'm home alone during the day he's super annoying. He wants outside and gets all muddy, he comes into the nursery and tries to steal things to chew on..... I know he just wants my attention and to play, and I try to give him as much love as I can when she's sleeping or when my husband gets home !!!! He just wants to play/walk ALL day!!! Getting into baby wearing so that I can be mobile to let him out, or to go waking with them both.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I feel the same way! I have 2 cats whom I loved soo much before baby and now they bug me!! I feel really bad. I don't want hair around my baby but don't want to get rid of them either. Hopefully it passes because I am super annoyed with them!
  • I'm glad I'm not alone !! Thank you !!
  • STM and our dog is 13 years old. He's super awesome around our toddler and I totally trust him with baby. The only thing is lately he's been getting in the way... LITERALLY. I've almost tripped on him multiple times. He has a naughty habit of lying on their clothes and blankets, or "borrowing" their toys. He's also woken up the baby when barking at random noises. I feel bad, but it feels like he's doing it on purpose! Anyhow, I just remind myself that he helps strengthen the kids immunity, teaches them to be compassionate, and protects the house. I didn't think he would live to see our second daughter, so we're trying to enjoy him and not get so frustrated with his kookiness.
  • We have a great Dane and yellow lab mix so he's huge and constantly in the way! I feel guilty for not letting him in the nursery, because he follows me and my husband everywhere, but we need our space (literally and figuratively) Does anyone know how to keep the dog hair away from baby? Spring shedding is the worst!
  • We have a great Dane and yellow lab mix so he's huge and constantly in the way! I feel guilty for not letting him in the nursery, because he follows me and my husband everywhere, but we need our space (literally and figuratively) Does anyone know how to keep the dog hair away from baby? Spring shedding is the worst!

We have Australian shepherds (HAIR!!!) , the only way honestly is to create dog free spaces. Your dog will forgive you for keeping the nursery the baby's space. It's honestly the safest decision as well because once your baby starts toddling and pestering the dog even the nicest dogs will get annoyed at some point. So what starts off keeping the dog away from baby will eventually turn into keeping baby away from dog. They can act like siblings sometimes haha. Annoying each other and getting in each other's faces. My four year old daughter and five year old Aussie are BFFs. But every once in awhile they have to be separated because he gets too excited and in her face or she gets annoyed with him... I'm SO so so glad I decided to start the "no dogs in the nursery" rule soon after my daughter was born (she didn't have a nursery until she was 3 months) . Made SUCH a difference . That's my advice anyway
  • edited April 2015
    I'm glad to hear all your input :)
    She's getting better about knowing baby's stuff is a no-no
    Spraying her with water when she gets into the baby's things has worked! I'm trying to snuggle with her as much as I can too.
    I live in the country, and she killed a mouse tonight , so I'm in love with her again :)
  • Wow! I feel the same way about my kitty! Before baby he was my baby boy but now he has been replaced. He has become very jealous if the new baby and try's to get in bassinet and swing just to piss me off! It's to the point that I am looking for a new home for him.

I took a photo of my cat Powder glaring at the baby! He looks evil!!

• Haha my girl "seeing" our dog for the first time!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I love the pictures !! I have to keep reminding myself my kitty was the baby for so long, and she's jealous. I hope it passes quickly though !
    @mrsmarlobaby , I swear my ginger is doing it just to piss me off too !! Haha
  • I feel the same way! My border collie is an extreme shedder, is gentle but moves 10,000 miles an hour and licks EVERYTHING. He has become mostly an outdoor dog since we have brought our baby home and I feel terrible about it since he was our first baby for so long.