February 2015 Moms

Pumping & baby?

I will be heading back to work in a few weeks, and I wanted to start building up some supply before then. I've pumped a few times on the weekends when my husband is home and can watch LO. What do you all do when you are alone? I know they say the best time to pump is right after a feeding; however, that is also when LO is the most awake! No matter where I set him down (on play mat, propped up by me, etc) he gets fidgety and upset after a few minutes. It's stressful trying to pump and keep him content at the same time! Any suggestions on when to pump or how with LO?

Re: Pumping & baby?

• Same thing with me. She can be passed out and I think she like smells the breast milk and gets fussy lol. Sorry I don't have any advice but you're not alone!
  • Lol this is funny because I laugh at myself in this situation . Usually I feed LO on one side until he clears it because I have an oversupply on my left breast . So when I want to pump I'm feeding him on the left and pumping on the right . Idk if that's what I should be doing or if it affects my supply or not but its gets the job done and baby is content .
  • Loading the player...
  • I pump in the mornings if I can or when he's napping. You'll get the most bang for your buck in the morning. Mine gets fussy too so I'll pump for a few minutes, settle him, pump again, repeat. It's not ideal but it works.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Since baby is going to be more efficient at removing milk than a pump, you could try pumping during nap time, right before baby would be waking to eat. That way, you'll be able to get a supply going and still have enough left for baby to nurse.
  • I pump in the morning when my supply is the best. Baby feeds on one side while I pump the other. I do this twice. Once at 2am and when he wakes up. I've been getting about 12 oz. a day. Make sure to cool your breast milk before freezing it too!
  • Why do you have to cool your milk before freezing it?