March 2015 Moms

Won't take bottle...

Hi

Hope everyone is enjoying life in baby land!  I'm a STM exclusively breastfeeding and have just recently introduced the bottle.  He won't take it and I've tried almost everything you can find through a google search.  I am not exactly worried because I will be at home for another month, but it would be nice to find a bottle or a system that works.  So my question is, if you had this problem, what worked for you?  Is there a bottle you recommend?  Any tips?  So far we've tried the medela bottle that comes with the pump, tommy tippee, Dr. Brown, and we are about to try the munchkin latch.  We never had this problem with DD because we bottle fed her from the start.  
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Won't take bottle...

• I have the Munchkin Latch. The nipple is supposed to be like the breast so they have no trouble going from bottle to breast for moms using both.
  • Are you giving the bottle? Lots of babies won't take a bottle from their mom (aka their milk source) so try having someone else give the bottle. Also make sure it's the slowest flow nipple- I like Dr. Browns.
  • Loading the player...
  • Another bottle idea to try is the Comotomo. We haven't been bottle feeding so to speak but I had to give him some medicine and he took it from that bottle after a few tries just fine. We ebf too
  • My husband is giving the bottle, but I usually am in the next room.  I am sure my lo can smell me.  @adelems I haven't heard of that brand, but will look into it!  

• my 3 year old never took a bottle or a binkie. she went straight to drinking from a straw at 18 months old. i'm not sure at all what her deal was.
  • @EDWHIP when you order them double check the nipple size. I didn't realize they came with the size two nipples and had to go back to get the newborn ones
  • my 3 year old never took a bottle or a binkie. she went straight to drinking from a straw at 18 months old. i'm not sure at all what her deal was.

Mine too! She thought a baby bottle was a toy.
  • @KD32412 this new baby won't take a bink either - is this a genetic thing or what?! ha! good thing she's so chill.
  • My LO uses the Avent natural bottles and does well. I started the occasional bottle pretty early at around two weeks. She switches back and forth just fine. I also looked into the Medela Calma, which is somewhat expensive but has great reviews from parents who have had issues with bottle feeding and switching between bottle and breast. It might be worth a try if nothing else works. Good luck!
  • Avent natural :)
  • We have been using avent natural and LO goes between that and breastfeeding just fine. We are at the point now that I can feed him the bottles, but starting out I had to leave the house while DH fed him the bottle, and he had to be very hungry.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• My lactation consultant recommended the Avent natural. I've only had my mom give him one once so far (he's 4.5 weeks old, and I went down in the basement to play with my toddler) but he took it fairly well! We did dr Browns with my first child... Good luck!
  • We tried the bottle for the first time today - I invested in the Medela Calma based on the reviews and design, which is supposed to be the closest to breastfeeding - our lil man took it, but the milk came out too quickly for him he spat quite a bit out them had a tantrum... We then tried the playtex nurser (which I got as part of a promo gift set) and it worked great!
  • When I was in the hospital with my son, & he wouldn't take a bottle, they said for me to give him the milk from a syringe.. Eventually he took a bottle. I've found that Playtex VentAire bottles work great. The nipples similar to a breast nipple, & the bottle helps the baby from getting to much air. They are a new make of bottle, & a little pricey. 9.49 for 1 6oz bottle. They're sold jus about anywhere. I got mine at Rite Aid, & it works great. It's the only bottle he will take.
  • I know someone else said otherwise, but have you tried giving your LO the bottle yourself? They are so used to you providing them with milk that I think it helps ease them into something a little different if you're there to reassure them. That's what I did with my son and he took it right away. We were also using the Dr. Browns wide neck bottles with the slowest flow nipple. Also make sure they're sitting upright a little more than when you breastfeed.
  • @gdamore11 The munchkin latch seemed to do the trick!  He took it last Friday, as well as Saturday.  I was able to feed him a bottle on Sunday.  Worked great!  I guess it takes time and persistence.

• Look up paced feeding, it helps the bottle feeding be more like breastfeeding because they have to suck to get the milk out and the flow is slower. Kelly Mom and LLL have articles about it, I believe. My lactation consultant suggested it and my son as done very well as we begin introducing bottles. If you have access to a lactation consultant perhaps they could also help you?