High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Questions about Gestational Diabetes risks

So I know there are a few posts about GD in general but I have some more questions mostly for those that have had it in the past. Im 28 weeks pregnant, found out I had GD about 24 weeks take Glyburide 2x daily at the highest dosage theyre willing to give me. Were looking into insulin or other things next week. Im pretty good at eating within the boundaries of what they want although I sometimes go a little over due to missing a meal so making it up a little at the next meal or other things but am 90% on track yet my numbers are all over the place and still high. My baby is in the 95% percentile for weight and I see my High Risk dr next week. So my worries are premature labor, C-section, and what they'll do if my numbers remain off. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with these questions? If you had GD in a prior pregnancy did you have premature birth? C-Section? With how big she is do you think its likey that shell need a C-section? Does how big she is or with any other big baby does that increase premature labor risk? What do they do if you don't  manage to control your numbers outside of your control? I of course just want her to be healthy but all of this has been on my mind?

Re: Questions about Gestational Diabetes risks

• Options
    I am also new to GD. My Dr said if sugars not controlled they will do insulin. Insulin can be given on a sliding scale based on your #'s.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Ladies, this is my 3rd time with GD, and I get it immediately when I get pregnant. I can tell you this. With baby 1 I took Glyburide once in the AM, and all I could eat carb wise was a slice of toast for breakfast. With baby 2 I took insulin, both fast acting before meals and slow at night. Depsite insulin, my numbers were ALL OVER THE PLACE, and I still managed to have a healthy 8 lb 1 oz baby. They thought she was closer to 9. On induction day, we learned she was breech and did a C section, and really in hind sight we could have left her in another week anyway, but whatever it is what it is. Baby number 3, so far I wanted to try Gly and diet control. I've been doing OK, still have some highs but have never gone over 180. Probably going to get on insulin next week, but it's still really always a crap shoot! Each woman is so different, and I hate when they compare me to their "other" patients. How about just treat me as me, and realize not everything works for every woman. I don't remember off the top of my head how many units to carb ratio of insulin I took, but I remember the nightly dose was over 100 at the end, my fasting numbers STILL were not under 90 (every single pregnancy) and I have 2 healthy kids and what seems to be a healthy baby so far growing.

I really think they are so strict because of the what if's, but honestly I am not going to let it stress me this time like I did before. Normal women have 10 lb babies naturally all the time!! And as far as it being a health concern in your childs future, I don't really stress on that, just feed them healthy foods and teach them to take care of themselves and type 2 won't be a huge concern. Seriously I am more concerned with other health risks in their environment! As far as premature labor, mine we nowhere near ready to come out when they induced me, I had zero signs of labor and we did it around 38 weeks. I feel like half of it is scare tactics really. Just monitor yourself and find what works for you, and try not to stress!!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker