1st Trimester

MFI and IUI Veterans...

Hello,
 My DH and I have been trying to conceive since July 2012. After a few months of trying with no luck my GYN suggested DH get a SA. That is when we found out he sufferred from unexplained low count (under 1 million), motility and morphology. He started seeing an urologist who prescribed Clomid for 3 months. He got tested after that but his count only improved by 100,000. Dr suggested we visit RE. On our first visit, RE said that going by his numbers, IVF would be our only option. Nonetheless, he prescribed him Femara for another 3 months to see if his numbers would improve. 3 months later, his count had skyrocketted to 10M and motility had improved a bit. RE said, that with those new numbers, we were now candidates for IUI. We were ecstatic!!!!

Getting ready for IUI, RE prescribed me 50 mg of Femara for 5 days and told DH to continue to take it too and add Fertility Blend to improve his motility. On my first US, RE told me I had a few follies but that they hadn't grown to desired size (only 10mm). He decided to change from Femara to 100mg of Clomid for 5 days. On my second US, I had 5 follies measuring 16mm (2), 18mm, 20mm and 25mm. Trigger shot (Novarel) was scheduled for the next day at night and IUI 2 days later (early morning, more or less 36 hours). 

On IUI day, DH had SA and RE told us before IUI that although his count had improved to 15M, his motility had lowered. They were able to boost it a little after the wash but according to him "if for some reason we had to do IUI again, he'd recommend less days of abstinence". I already had a bad feeling but was a bit hopeful because of the count, the boost and my 4 mature follies. 

On our TWW, I started using progesterone 3 days post IUI,  once a day for 10 days. I had every symptom imaginable. Being my first time, I really thought what I had were good signs. 2 days before I was supposed to test, AF showed it's ugly face in all it's glory.  I was CRUSHED!!!! I already knew that IUI usually doesn't work the first time and that my DH lowered motility might be a bad sign but DAMN!!

So... we really want to get pregnant. I'm 35, DH is 33, so we automatically decided to give it another go. Had IUI #2 on April 8th. Don't know what to think about our chances this time. Everything's been so different than the first (maybe that should be a good thing since last time it didn't work). I was given 100mg of Clomid again and on my first US, I had 3 follies on my right ovary (13,14 and 20mm), a whole bunch of small ones on my left. RE kept talking about my 20mm and prescribed trigger shot for the next morning. IUI to be done the following day. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the sizes. I took the trigger shot, had no symptoms (unlike the first time). IUI day DH had another SA and all his numbers had lowered. He went from having 15M last time to 7M. Motility with the boost didn't improve much. The only thing that had improved a little was the morphology. We kind of knew count was gonna be less because we only had 3 days of abstinence (RE recommended) but didn't think it was gonna be that much. Right before our procedure Dr discussed his results and said that numbers were low but that was the reason why we were having IUI in the first place. According to him, it only takes 1. After checking everything on the US, he said I still hadn't ovulated (last time, I already had) and recommended we BD that night to give us an extra boost.

I'm sorry this is so long, I've tried to describe our situation as best as I could...I guess I'm just looking to share info and experiences with ladies who can relate and have shared our journey when it comes to MFI and IUI. What do u think? Are we wasting our time and having false hope with these numbers? What could be causing this? Any tips, ideas, hope?

I'm trying to stay positive, but find myself thinking our chances are really low more so this time than last 

Anniversary
Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
Trying to Conceive photo: TTC # 1 ttc-1.gif

PCOS photo: PCOS living_with_PCOS.gifBig Fat Positive
Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
PitaPata Dog tickers
Visit The Nest!

Me: 35  DH: 33
TTC #1: Since July 2012
Me: PCOS
DH: MFI (low count, motility, morphology)
Started with RE 10/14
IUI #1 - 3/9/15 - Got AF 2 days before BETA
IUI #2- 4/8/15- Got AF day of supposed BETA
Currently Self Benched to figure out what our next step will be

Re: MFI and IUI Veterans...

• I'm not sure how much help I can be, but we dealt with fairly similar numbers, although I have PCOS so we were also medicating me quite heavily control my cycles. My husband also has variocele surgery to 'help' although it didn't seem to do much. We did half a dozen IUI"s some looking more promising than others, but ultimately ended up at IVF. Had a beautiful baby girl, and a few years later my twins were born through IVF.  I too always looked for patterns, reasons, differences betweeen cycles, but ultimately no matter what factors changed the outcome was the same for us. But I know plenty of couples with all sorts of random-ness going on who end up pregnant. Sometimes it just seems like you are waiting on the odds, don't give up! Fast forward 3 years and I just got an unexpected BFP naturally. Anything is possible in this world!