August 2015 Moms

tactfully letting people know where I'm registered?

I am one of two females who works with 45 men. I know several of them would like to get a gift for the baby. Is there a way let everyone know where I'm registered without it seeming like I'm asking for gifts? I don't want a bunch of guys at my baby shower, even though they are all pretty great. I thought about maybe a flier of somekind? Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: tactfully letting people know where I'm registered?

• Loading the player...
  • Anyone who is internet savvy knows to google your name and "baby registry" to see if anything pops up (and if they aren't, maybe their partner is). Those who really want to purchase a gift for you will do it.
  • Even if the guys are clueless, hopefully their wives/ girlfriends can point them in the right direction!
  • No flyers, that is so tacky. We are having a co-ed shower with many men attending. I think my male friends and my Husbands friends should be included.
  • Absolutely no tactful way of doing this, anyway you approach it you will appear to be asking for gifts...please don't do anything!  If anyone inquires you can point them in the direction of your registry.
  • Anyone who is internet savvy knows to google your name and "baby registry" to see if anything pops up (and if they aren't, maybe their partner is). Those who really want to purchase a gift for you will do it.

This.  Also, make sure to register at one of the big name places.  I have a coworker that's pregnant but I wasn't sure where she was registered.  I just went online to Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, and Target to search for her name until I found it.  Trust them to do the same.  Or graciously accept whatever they get that's not on your registry.
  • neludelu said:

I would tell them when they ask. If they don't ask let it go.

This. I'm sorry but there aren't a lot of *tactful* ways to announce (you're basically announcing if they didn't specifically ask) your registry.

This makes me *shudder*
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • neludelu said:

I would tell them when they ask. If they don't ask let it go.

This. I'm sorry but there aren't a lot of *tactful* ways to announce (you're basically announcing if they didn't specifically ask) your registry.

This makes me *shudder*

Agree with pp's. Plan on registering at babies r us or somewhere where you figure they will look if they wanted to find out.
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Thanks everyone for confirming what I was thinking. My SO is pushing to post something, so I figured I would ask. I loathe the idea of doing anything like this, but he thinks it's totally ok.
  • When you register some stores give stickers or something your host could include in the invite to the shower.
  • Thanks everyone for confirming what I was thinking. My SO is pushing to post something, so I figured I would ask. I loathe the idea of doing anything like this, but he thinks it's totally ok.

OMG. Don't let him. That would be so absolutely mortifying.
  • When I think of flyers all I can think of is the scene in Mean Girls (or any high school movie like this) when she litters the hallways and lockers with flyers. What does your DH want you to do with them? Tape them to everyone's monitor? I am sorry if this comes across as rude, but I think flyers are a horrible idea. For me, people at work will fall into one of two categories: 1.) Good enough friends that they are being invited to the shower already and will know where I am registered at from my hostess....or 2.) Male/Uninvited and if they want to buy me a gift they will either choose something they find "cute" or they will ask where I am registered. Yes, you may get something you don't like or need, but it is about the thought and you can always regift/return/sell if you really despise what they get you that much (but if they know you well enough, then odds are, you will like what they choose.

• I wouldn't worry about it.  They will probably just buy you a gift card, which, in my opinion, is the best new baby gift there is. 

• I wouldn't worry about it.  They will probably just buy you a gift card, which, in my opinion, is the best new baby gift there is. 

^This! After DD2 was born DH's co-workers gave him a $500 gift card out of the blue- men like giftcards, if they want to get you something I bet they'll just pool in for one ;)

• You guys were so right not to!!! And thankfully I didn't have to! They all pulled together and got us something wonderful! Thank you so much for everything!