Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Other parents who forward-face car seats under age 1

edited April 2015 in Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Has anyone known or seen anyone who forward-face their baby under age 1 in their car seat?  I know we shouldn't overstep our boundaries.  It's really sad for the baby when you see it happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  image

Re: Other parents who forward-face car seats under age 1

• Has anyone known or seen anyone who front-face their baby under age 1 in their car seat?  I know we shouldn't overstep our boundaries.  It's really sad for the baby when you see it happen.

Its really sad for the baby when you see what happen? I am seriously confused by your post.
  • Has anyone known or seen anyone who forward-face their baby under age 1 in their car seat?  I know we shouldn't overstep our boundaries.  It's really sad for the baby when you see it happen.

I've seen it, and said something. I don't really worry about hurting people's feelings if the stuff is dangerous.

Just like when I say something about baby buckets on shopping carts or a toddler running into the parking lot like a wild person.

It's actually illegal in my state to FF before 2 years. So, check your laws & tell the person. Not only is it a safety issue but if it's a legal one then they could avoid getting a huge fine & possible CPS up their ass.

I'm not saying I agree with CPS involvement but it would be a huge pain in the butt to get pulled over for a speeding ticket, then fined for the FF issue-- then on too of it all have a case worker show up at your door.

I've had it happen to some if my mom friends over stupid shit. So, I mean, better safe than sorry on all fronts. If she or he gives you crap & ignores you then that's on them & you tried.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Has anyone known or seen anyone who forward-face their baby under age 1 in their car seat?  I know we shouldn't overstep our boundaries.  It's really sad for the baby when you see it happen.

I've seen it, and said something. I don't really worry about hurting people's feelings if the stuff is dangerous.

Just like when I say something about baby buckets on shopping carts or a toddler running into the parking lot like a wild person.

It's actually illegal in my state to FF before 2 years. So, check your laws & tell the person. Not only is it a safety issue but if it's a legal one then they could avoid getting a huge fine & possible CPS up their ass.

I'm not saying I agree with CPS involvement but it would be a huge pain in the butt to get pulled over for a speeding ticket, then fined for the FF issue-- then on too of it all have a case worker show up at your door.

I've had it happen to some if my mom friends over stupid shit. So, I mean, better safe than sorry on all fronts. If she or he gives you crap & ignores you then that's on them & you tried.

I also feel strongly more so for the baby's sake than anything else.  My understanding was it is illegal to forward-face under age 1 in California and strongly recommended to rear-face until age 2 (as long as the car seat limit allows).  They're family friends and I mentioned it to a few other family members and they also said it's hard to overstep boundaries.  I was just surprised when I saw the pictures of the 11-month-old sitting that way, not sure how long before that.  She's always been a big, heavy baby and I know some babies cry a lot when rear-facing.  I've just come across more parents who would rear-face as long as possible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  image
  • I try not to be judgy or intrusive, but I will say something if I think I need to.  Honestly, though, I've taken parent to their cars after a stay at the hospital and come to find that their 2 year old (sometimes younger) doesn't even have a car seat to ride in.  Parents just toss them in the front seat and try to buckle them in.  That is when I choose to pick my battles.  The kid WILL NOT and CANNOT leave the hospital without a car seat under age 4.  Anyways, if it's FF at least it is still a seat and not everyone cares.  I did have a serious convo with a close friend who just plain didn't know and was glad I told her it's safest to keep kids rear facing as long as possible and she was able to keep her son RF until he was 3.5 but she's the exception. Most people don't want to be told how to parent and get super defensive - it's hard to nicely suggest anything anymore.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am