August 2015 Moms

Mastitis During Pregnancy

Hey I just wanted to share my recent experience with a breast infection I'm currently 19 weeks and some days pregnant and I located two bumps(one on each breast) while in the shower at 17 weeks and 2 days luckily I had an appointment the following day. I showed my OB and he told me it was a mastitis he prescribed me antibiotics (dioxacillan) I honestly didn't feel comfortable taking them although he said they were safe for pregnancy I tried it the first day and threw them up each time(I took them three times a day)so I researched natural remedies unfortunately this infection is common among women who have already given birth so there was little information and limited options because many of the herbs they mentioned were not safe during pregnancy. Luckily garlic was ok to take(not too much) so I ate a couple garlic loves a day massaged the are with blended garlic and coconut oil and also very hot compresses. And prayer and they're gone without the use of antibiotics!!

Re: Mastitis During Pregnancy

• I would loop your Dr in on your choice just in case it is the type of infection that can spread without other symptoms if you don't take antibiotics. Infections can be very dangerous for the baby, better safe than sorry. Also, antibiotics are very safe during pregnancy and there are diff kinds they can try if one doesn't agree. They use them all of the time for UTI's, yeast infections, etc..
  • I would also inform your doctor of this, but it doesn't really sound like mastitis either. It sounds like a plugged duct which can often be relieved though massage, more natural remedies like lecithin, etc... Mastitis is a very serious infection that generally comes with fever, flu-like symptoms, etc... I've never known anyone that had mastitis that just happened to discover it by lumps in the shower and then was perfectly fine waiting till the next day to see the doctor and then ignoring medical advice regarding antibiotics. Mastitis is generally extremely painful.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would also inform your doctor of this, but it doesn't really sound like mastitis either. It sounds like a plugged duct which can often be relieved though massage, more natural remedies like lecithin, etc... Mastitis is a very serious infection that generally comes with fever, flu-like symptoms, etc... I've never known anyone that had mastitis that just happened to discover it by lumps in the shower and then was perfectly fine waiting till the next day to see the doctor and then ignoring medical advice regarding antibiotics. Mastitis is generally extremely painful.

This. Mastitis is a serious infection that has most women in agony. Yours sounds like plugged ducts in which case the prescribing of antibiotics was indeed completely unnecessary but talk to your dr.