November 2015 Moms

Tums

makeoutside7makeoutside7 member
edited April 2015 in November 2015 Moms
Hi Ladies,

My heartburn has been killer lately. It's making me uncomfortable at work all day and keeping me up all night. My doctor gave me the green light to take Tums, which has been helping but I just read the label and it says "If pregnant do not take more than 6 tablets in 24 hours". Oops, too late. I ate 6 today and 6 yesterday. Hopefully, it won't hurt the baby but I feel like I can use more. I think I need something stronger. What are you taking for your heartburn? What is safe? Thanks in advance for your help. 

-YTC

FTM due 11/06/2015
Married 09/21/2013

Re: Tums

• My md put me on daily pepcid.
  • Also I think the standard is calcium or magnesium antacids, avoid aluminum ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • They tell you to watch the tums intake because it can affect the absorption of prenatals and other nutrients. I take Zantac and took it my entire last pregnancy. One in the morning and one in the evening. My doctor recommended it.
  • @rbradshaw77, thanks for the info. I will ask my doctor about Zantac next time I see her but that won't be until the 28th. I am already on Diclegis for nausea and don't want to be on so many meds but I just desperately want some relief. The heartburn is actually worse than the nausea has ever been. 

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • msyeng said:

@rbradshaw77, thanks for the info. I will ask my doctor about Zantac next time I see her but that won't be until the 28th. I am already on Diclegis for nausea and don't want to be on so many meds but I just desperately want some relief. The heartburn is actually worse than the nausea has ever been. 

My heartburn causes pretty bad nausea if I don't keep up with the doses. I take 150mg each dose. My doctor gives me a prescription so I can get it free, but it's the exact same as the over the counter stuff. I also took diclegis for the first few weeks and my doctor said I could still take my Zantac too. Of course ask your doctor just to be sure, but I've seen two different doctors for two pregnancies and they've both approved Zantac.

• @rbradshaw77, that is awesome news!! I will double check with mine and hopefully start taking it soon. I feel like anything and everything is starting to give me heartburn. Thanks so much for your help. =D

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • @msyeng you might be able to call your dr before your appointment and see if taking Zantac for the heartburn you have would be okay. My doctor recommended a daily dose of Zantac for my heartburn. I hear it usually gets worse later in pregnancy so your doctor might want to put you on something a little stronger later. But try calling and see if you can get some relief that way. Best of luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ashwise, great idea!! Not sure why I didn't think of that first. I have super preggo brain. 

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • Excessive tums can also cause kidney stones. Try milk and avoiding foods that cause heart burn. I've found that chocolate gets me good which totally makes me sad. ; (,
  • makeoutside7makeoutside7 member
    edited April 2015
    @missdish84, I enjoy milk but lately dairy has been making me vomit. Almost instantly. Hence the reason I switched to Tums...which I don't care for at all. Just desperate for some relief. Sorry, about the chocolate...=( My body has been so unpredictable lately...what I think will give me heartburn doesn't and what I don't think would does. Today, I only had 2. Now that I know that, I will be limiting myself!

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013