1st Trimester

6 weeks pregnant & POAS Addict

I still take pregnancy tests a few times a week to make sure that the line is still dark/darkening. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but it puts my mind at ease. I can't be the only one!? Or am I just being crazy and need to give it up? I think I will be more at ease once I see that baby on an ultrasound...

Re: 6 weeks pregnant & POAS Addict

• lol nope you're not alone! I was even using the Clearblue digitals that tell you how long since ovulation to see if my levels were increasing accordingly. At my apt today they asked me how many HPTs have come up positive, they laughed when i said 15+ at least! Lol
  • Oh, the digital tests sound like a good idea...
    Glad to know I'm not the only one, thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • HPTs are qualitative, not quantitative. That means they measure whether or not there is HCG in your urine, not how much HCG is in your urine. Ergo, the darkness of the line means nothing. 
  • It's always reassuring to see the positive staying on the test :)

But the weeks indicators are not accurate at all. Just take the dating on them with a grain of salt :)
  • DandT2point0DandT2point0 member
    edited April 2015
    I have taken six tests since getting a BFP last week. I'll be POAS again Weds before our first prenatal visit. You are not alone in the Crazy. I am right there with you!

Edited to add recommendation of ordering Wondfo HPTs on Amazon.
  • Save your money. I speak from painful experience-I think I took at least 10 tests, and they all showed bold dark lines, even when I tested the day before my miscarriage started. You can have significant amounts of HCG in your system, even when your baby isn't developing properly.
  • I would quit wasting your money and peeing on things. The darkening of the line means nothing. You could pee on it and it could be faint as ever, but a line is a line. But, whatever eases your mind I guess.
  • FemShep said:

Save your money. I speak from painful experience-I think I took at least 10 tests, and they all showed bold dark lines, even when I tested the day before my miscarriage started. You can have significant amounts of HCG in your system, even when your baby isn't developing properly.

This exactly. I still turned positive tests during and after having a miscarriage. The test only tells you if you have hormones in your system, not if your pregnancy is viable or not.
  • Thank you for your input, ladies. I'm sorry for your losses.
    After reading this, I'm going to stop taking tests. I thought it would help me feel less anxious, but I realize it's pretty pointless.
  • kittylow said:

Thank you for your input, ladies. I'm sorry for your losses.
    After reading this, I'm going to stop taking tests. I thought it would help me feel less anxious, but I realize it's pretty pointless.

Well at least you'll save your money now :) but yeah unfortunately, pregnancy is like 25% doctors visits where you can get confirmation and reassurance, and 75% just riding on faith. Do you best to stay healthy and try to have faith that the baby is growing as it should.
  • I took another test this morning. We have our first prenatal visit this afternoon. I just need reassurance that this pregnancy isn't just in my head. I'm hoping to find peace of mind at the doctor's office. No more POAS for me!

Thanks for your perspective, @CatsAreShady. Your words are exactly what I needed.
  • I took another test this morning. We have our first prenatal visit this afternoon. I just need reassurance that this pregnancy isn't just in my head. I'm hoping to find peace of mind at the doctor's office. No more POAS for me!

Thanks for your perspective, @CatsAreShady. Your words are exactly what I needed.

No problem at all @DandT2point0 :)
    I've been pregnant 6 times with 3 take home babies, I understand how uncertain things can feel.
  • There is always the option of an at home fetal Doppler. I bought one with my first pregnancy and found the heart beat at home around 10 weeks. I loved it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I have never done that, but I did happen to have an extra test, and decided why not... so I took it and it stil said YES.
    Guess it reassures us women who still have that "I don't feel like I am pregnant, but I am" feeling. lol

35 Weeks with Baby Boy #3 

Jace Thomas- 2 years old and Zachary William 5 years old!

• Hubby and I went to our first prenatal visit yesterday and we now have a picture of our blob stationed above the fireplace. It still doesn't feel real but I did not POAS today! We each have a (separate) history of losing babies so I think we'll both keep holding our breath for a while.
  • I have been the same way...my first appt. is not until April 30th...sooo long to wait.  But I have been taking Pregnancy tests every 2 days...LOL./ I don't tell my husband because he would think I am nuts.  I stocked up on the dollar store brand tests so this way its a cheap way of keeping up testing
  • I took five home tests my first pregnancy. This time I accepted the faint line on my 88¢ Walmart test and refrained from any others. I think continuous testing feeds anxiety rather than helps abate it
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Hello! I'm new here. I just hung up the phone after making my first OB appointment, and I was nervous and was glad to see this thread and know I'm not the only one. My last period was March 8 and I just tested positive on a HPT on Friday (and again on Saturday). My first appointment isn't until May 6! I don't feel pregnant (last week I felt unusually hungry and tired, but right now I feel very normal) so I'm really anxious to know what's going on! Hang in there!
  • You will feel anxious until your appt and likely afterwards!! Relax! When is your first appt and how far are you or do you think you are?
  • Nope not the only one, I have been taking them regularly since. There is a kind of joy that I feel seeing those lines!! Plus... I have to use up my cheapie ones! :-P
    Anniversary

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Babybaby804Babybaby804 member
    edited April 2015
    Had ultrasound and saw the baby heart beat and still POS at 10 weeks. I love to see those two lines
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Athomas1341Athomas1341 member
    edited April 2015
    Yes same here! Be cautious of the "hook effect" though so you don't get freaked out! (Especially if you use the Internet cheapies) your HCG level can be so high that image test looks faint positive and not as dark as you'd like to see it. You have to dilute your urine. I swear it's real so just sending out a little warning!