May 2015 Moms

8lb baby 37 weeks

im 37 weeks pregnant and I had a growth scan today... He's suddenly grown way too much. The Dr said he's 8lb 1oz and I'm only 37 weeks!! He also said that I could have gestational diabetes so need to test for a week. Has anyone had this? Any signs or symptoms other than huge babies? Also, he thinks I should have my little boy by cesarean because of his weight, he thinks that my little man might get caught behind my pelvic bone. He's given me a week to decide if I want a cesarean or to risk him getting stuck and a lot of intervention during labour. Please any advice or experience? I am so so scared, FTM and just turned 18, need some guidance or ideas :(

Re: 8lb baby 37 weeks

• I was told both my boys would be at least 10 lbs and to have a c section. I birthed both vaginally and neither was more then 7 lbs. I personally would give vaginal a try but that is me. I never opted for the c section because I wanted to make sure I did not have to have c sections with future children. Do what ever is right for you but do some research first and don't be affraid to get a second opinion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Delivered today at 37 weeks.... 5 minutes before I started pushing my OBGYN said "he's going to be a big baby over 8 lbs for sure". Baby boy was born 5lbs 14 ounces. Sometimes doctors are just wrong :)
  • C/s is a personal choice, BUT a big decision. It is major surgery, with side effects that could last forever. My sister had her first at barely 19, he was a 9 lb baby and she had 0 intervention. She's a small girl too. Your body is made for this. When I was doing L&D rotation in med school we were told unless there is some medical reason that causes a child to put on extreme amounts of weight, your body won't grow a baby it can't birth. That's pretty true.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Growth scans are not 100% accurate. 
  • All this is good advice! Growth scans can be way off. Women's bodies are made for having babies. You can do it :)
  • ryemoryemo member
    I echo all of this. They're not accurate. In fact, they're often a set up for an unnecessary CS. Your OB didn't really give you a choice--have a CS or risk paralyzing or killing your baby. That's pretty awful and factually untrue.
  • There is a lot of recovery with c-section. You can't even drive for 6 weeks! If it were me I would always 100% try for a vaginal birth. Doctors are notoriously wrong for guessing weight. Not to mention many women birth 10 pounders just fine.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • scdsutton said:

Delivered today at 37 weeks.... 5 minutes before I started pushing my OBGYN said "he's going to be a big baby over 8 lbs for sure". Baby boy was born 5lbs 14 ounces. Sometimes doctors are just wrong :)

I agree! Except my doctor said my daughter would be 8 lbs, and she was 9.2!!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker    

• I know a girl who vaginally delivered a 10 lb baby. It's possible that the scan is just wrong and if you do have GD then just try to modify your diet for the time being by eating less carbs until you test to know for sure.
  • For my first daughter I was told she was going to be over 10 lbs ... I cried, thinking she was gonna tear me apart.  I delivered an 8 lbs 9 oz beautiful baby girl.  Still on the bigger than average size but no where close to 10 lbs or more mark.  You just never know.