Babies on the Brain

New to The Bump (Bonus! a question about BBT and shift work)

Hello, I'm new to the board and my husband and I are currently prepping for TTC. We're about 3-6 months out, so we're trying to establish our own health and wellness first. I've visited my doctors, asked for some advice ("prenatal vitamins") and will be seeing a dentist later this month. But, I think the "oh wow, we're really serious about this" moment happened when we were grocery shopping today. I was driving to the store and my husband was in my passenger seat. Shortly before we departed I overturned one of my travel bags and dumped some of its contents on the floor. He was poking around and reassembling the bag when he says coyly, "Don't think I wouldn't notice the pregnancy tests you got." This surprised me since we weren't actively trying and I am expecting my period today.

"What do you mean?" I said. Just as he held up a box I realized he meant my travel tampons. Apparently he saw the blue and pink sticks on the box and assumed it was all the different colors for results (not sure how he interpreted the green that was also on the display).  After some uncontrollable laughter (at him, not with), I told him that I was glad he didn't get panicky when he did think they were tests. He doesn't have the "baby crazy" like I do, but he's embracing this endeavor through and through. Plus, it lets him show off his superior memorization of boring nutrition facts when we're menu planning. 

The one bit of prep work that has been rough for me is the BBT charting. My hours change often because of travel. However, most advice I've seen says you should wake up about the same time each day for a reliable chart. Does anyone have any insight about charting while working a variety of shifts or time zones? 

Re: New to The Bump (Bonus! a question about BBT and shift work)

• xxkberxxxxkberxx member
    edited April 2015
    Welcome! It sounds like you are off to a great start by getting prepared for TTC. Fertility Friend (FF) explains BBT and shift work: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/BBT-and-shift-work.html
    I hope that helps! 

Edit: because the link didn't work. 
    Anniversary
    Me (29) + DH (30) | Dating 2003 | Married 2008
    DS - 02/21/2016

• There are some days that do not really matter if you don't take your temp. You really want to make sure during the middle of your cycle that you try your best to take your temp around the same time (within 30mins) everyday until you see that shift for at least 3 days to know when you ovulated. If you are using OPKs, it makes it so much easier to determine when you will or are ovulating. After you have charted for a few cycles, you may begin to see a pattern and it will be easier to read the signs your body is sending you and to read your charts.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the link and advice, ladies!