July 2015 Moms

28weeks, yard work, raking, cleaning

edited April 2015 in July 2015 Moms
Just wondering.....28 weeks this week and think I over did it this weekend doing spring yard work, raking and house cleaning.... I'm exhausted, just wondering if I should not be doing this type of stuff at 28 weeks pregnant ? My husband is studying for big test and can't do it all - if I don't do it it won't get done ! Am I crazy ? Or are other girls forgoing these activities.... Among other housework....

Re: 28weeks, yard work, raking, cleaning

• I do it all. I make sure I stay hydrated since I live in Hawaii but raking, cleaning the yard, school carnivals , housework I do it all
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Loading the player...
  • Unless your doctor has advised you not to, you should be fine to continue with normal house/yard work. For example, my OB gave me a 25 pound weight limit and told me not to lift and twist anything, but I have a hip injury that she's worried about me aggravating.

Like PP said, you're pregnant. You're going to tire faster than before you were pregnant. Make sure that you're staying hydrated and taking breaks when you need to, and you should be alright.
  • I'm doing a lot of it too. There are things I want done that my husband doesn't think are important so I just do them myself. I definitely don't do half as much as I normally do in one day but I'm just trying to be patient with myself and go slow. Just be careful and try to protect yourself if you use chemical fertilizers etc.
  • Nothing's to say you can't do this unless your on bed rest. We're all getting knackered quicker but stuff still needs getting done.
  • qtjo5qtjo5 member
    I do it all even when DH tells me to take it easy. I have ADD so sitting still doesn't work for me.
  • I feel ya. It seems like I'm going to die at bedtimes lately. But Yeah I have 3 boys ages 4,5&6 work full time and do housework for my family and my mooching bothers family living with me. Also do a full load of online classes on top of being 27 weeks pregnant almost. It it the Pitts but normal to be tired during pregnancy especially with no help.

DS #1 David Anthony, Born on 10/15/08

DS #2 Jacob Fielding, Born on 12/01/10

BFP #3 July 2013, M/C 10/4/13

BFP #4 11/14/14, EDD 07/21/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't been doing much that involves lifting and bending. But that is doctors orders, so I guess if doctor says it's ok, I'm sure you'll be fine :)
  • Better to get the stuff done now while we're not HUGE than later when it's crunch time :) the husband and I have been doing some yard/garden work this weekend. Nothing crazy, I've stayed hydrated and made him do all the actual lifting. Back hurts slightly but otherwise I'm good.
  • I still do house work like care for DD, vaccum, mop, etc.  But I do not do anything outside or extra physical.  I guess if your body is used to it than you will be okay.  But DH (and myself) always go on the super safe side of things, we don't want to risk anything.  Silly or not we have struggled with infertility and rather not risk anything.  Everything else can wait :)  I am also still super morning sick and spend most of my day throwing up :(( so I can't do much as it is. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I do as much as I can but I'm at risk for preterm labor and supposed to be taking it easy. 
    I say, if you feel up to it, then do it. maybe mention something to your docotr is see what they say.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 4 kids here, a dog and a husband who works a full time job as well as a full time student. I also work part time.....

And I clean, do yard work, shower thevlittle ones, clean, laundry, rake, cut grass and we live in AZ where itb is already in the 100's.

It is life, it is normal and unless you want to live in a house that looks like something thst came of a season of hoarders, ..... it has to be done. Pregnant just means your family is getting bigger andbthere will be more to do. It however doesnt mean we get to sit and do nothing as great as that would be!!

Take breaks, drink water, spread it all out, but yes you still can and should do the same things you did before for the most part, unless your dr tells you your putting baby at risk.
  • I don't do yard work when I'm not pregnant. Nope.
  • DH won't let me do some stuff. I tried to help with yard work this weekend and he ended up doing it all while I sat on the step and watched. As for housework I try to do the less physical things, like washing windows and doing the dishes. He does the heavier stuff like mopping the floor and vacuuming.
  • I say do what you feel comfortable with, but with one exception. No matter how strong you feel don't lift anything heavy! I lifted something heavy and put my pelvis out of alignment. Landed myself three days or bedrest ... Just not worth it.
  • edited April 2015
    Okay ladies congrats we all work hard , Pat yourselves on the back ....Didn't know this post would open up a can of "one-upping" eachother on the amount of work we all do, good lord.
  • I really don't think anyone is trying to "one up" another here. Basically moral of the story is... People already assume since your pregnant that it's a "free pass" out of doing every day normal things and honestly, so many people take advantage of it and use that as an excuse. I read your post literally after I had just spent the entire weekend shoveling dirt and pulling a weeds in 90 degree weather so I was like 'NO it doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing that, it means your pregnant and get tired quicker because your body is growing a human, but it doesn't mean you get a free pass from this stuff'. The difference now versus 7 months ago was that I didn't take breaks, or drink twice the amount of water and I never got tired as quick as I did this weekend or times before during my pregnancy. Like you, I was exhausted! It doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing it, just have to pay attention and listen to our bodies. I really think a lot of people got upset because of the fact that so many women use pregnancy as an excuse for every.little.thing. Sorry you feel that way :(
  • Okay ladies congrats we all work hard , Pat yourselves on the back ....Didn't know this post would open up a can of "one-upping" eachother on the amount of work we all do, good lord.

Wow sarky today much!!!!!!
  • Okay ladies congrats we all work hard , Pat yourselves on the back ....Didn't know this post would open up a can of "one-upping" eachother on the amount of work we all do, good lord.

Rude.
  • Well to get this post back on track... I've pretty much forgone everything. I went into preterm at 18 weeks and have an irritable uterus and have been on bed rest pretty much constantly since then. I know when I've over done it because I start getting serious cramps.

I normally have a lay down and it normally eases up.

Ultimately the docs are wanting me to hang in until at least 30 weeks. Nothing is more important than my child but sometimes I just can't not get up and clean. My husband is a real mess maker and I actually can't stand it.

The house is falling to pieces but he's about to take a week off work to get it in order before bub comes... Because it's just bit bub friendly at the moment.

It's clean enough... But we still have boxes and piles of things around the house from when we moved in - in February.
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]

• Well to get this post back on track... I've pretty much forgone everything. I went into preterm at 18 weeks and have an irritable uterus and have been on bed rest pretty much constantly since then. I know when I've over done it because I start getting serious cramps.

Ultimately the docs are wanting me to hang in until at least 30 weeks. Nothing is more important than my child but sometimes I just can't not get up and clean. My husband is a real mess maker and I actually can't stand it.

The house is falling to pieces but he's about to take a week off work to get it in order before bub comes... Because it's just bit bub friendly at the moment.

It's clean enough... But we still have boxes and piles of things around the house from when we moved in - in February.

Stay in there, little bub! Hope the rest of your pregnancy and bed rest goes well, mama.

Our house isn't baby friendly yet either. We've still got boxes all over the place from when we moved in...in February...of last year. Oops! I'm hoping my little guy can stay in there until the end of the school year, and then I've got some serious nesting to do.

You have a medical reason not too. That's different.
  • It sounds like a lot of women are proud of their hard work, which at times, came across as one upping. She wasn't asking for anyone to excuse her from doing yard work or house work in general. Her original post was asking what other women are doing and some of the responses assumed she's using pregnancy as an excuse to not help around the house.

Division of labor In a household is different for everybody and being pregnant can change those dynamics. We shouldn't judge each other for doing more or less of the work around the house. The only people we are accountable to regarding house work are our families.
  • @grlplz you are my new girl crush...swoon! Well said!
  • Well how you doin' ;)

We have a right to be proud of how hard we work. I don't think anyone was one upping, but bringing up valid points and venting at the same time. We are all tired, and exhausted. However, we know that pregnancy is not an excuse for laziness, and we can not condone laziness unless it's a medical issue.

That being said, maybe we should have had some kind of warning you wanted us to blow smoke up your ass, and tell you to spend the remainder of your pregnancy sitting around doing nothing. Since, this post started off nice, then you had to get snarky about it, that gives us a clue into exactly what kind of pregnant woman you are. Especially after you commented you hoped it would be a free pass. Find yourself a FTM board, you will have better luck finding women who will tell you it's cool to be lazy

Girl I don't have the same thing going on as you, but I still have boxes in hidden places and we moved into our home 2 years ago! >_< Life just gets busy and other things start happening. Like you said, listen to your body and when you feel like you need to go lay down and rest, then definitely the best thing to do. Hang in there Momma! <3 

• Not sure how my post got into the quote from yours...but you get the gist... 
  • kladd7182 said:

Okay ladies congrats we all work hard , Pat yourselves on the back ....Didn't know this post would open up a can of "one-upping" eachother on the amount of work we all do, good lord.

We have a right to be proud of how hard we work. I don't think anyone was one upping, but bringing up valid points and venting at the same time. We are all tired, and exhausted. However, we know that pregnancy is not an excuse for laziness, and we can not condone laziness unless it's a medical issue.

That being said, maybe we should have had some kind of warning you wanted us to blow smoke up your ass, and tell you to spend the remainder of your pregnancy sitting around doing nothing. Since, this post started off nice, then you had to get snarky about it, that gives us a clue into exactly what kind of pregnant woman you are. Especially after you commented you hoped it would be a free pass. Find yourself a FTM board, you will have better luck finding women who will tell you it's cool to be lazy

This!!!!!!
  • I'm giggling like a preschooler right now. Preach ladies.
  • Ugh I've had to do more since I got pregnant, seeing as DH took on a new (7 day a week, long hours) business a few months beforehand and this blessing was a little bit of a surprise.

I have learnt to prioritise - there's things that need to be done immediately and others that can wait a day or two if need be.
    Once you have kids the work just multiplies - they make so much more mess! And they need you all the time- there's no resting on the couch like my first pregnancy. (So enjoy that this time around- u won't get it next time)
    My son always has an accident on my carpet when I'm totally exhausted lol but, that's being a mom.
  • @cantwaitforabebe I'm curious to know what you do for work?
  • @lindsaypkelly 2 jobs - I work 12 hour night shifts as an ICU nurse at a level 1 trauma center as well as part time for an oral surgeon, in response to a PP, don't know a single person that would describe me as "lazy" I'll refrain from a long winded response here and just wish all of you ladies a happy and healthy remainder of your pregnancies :-)