December 2014 Moms
Options

Refusing the breast

We are staying at my parents for Easter and just today my LO started refusing the breast, he only takes breastmilk from a bottle! Anyone else have this problem? Sure hope this change...pumping for every feeding is a drag!

Re: Refusing the breast

• Options
    My daughter does this off and on, some days she just won't breastfeed. I talked to a lactation gal and she suggested making the bottle as hard as possible since it's usually so easy to get milk. Sit baby upright and hold the bottle parallel to the floor so milk is only in half is the nipple of the bottle. That way baby has to work harder at the bottle and may enjoy breast more. Just a thought, hope it helps. I still pump every day and my daughter is 4 months, it's a drag but at least she is getting milk!
  • Options
    My LO did that for a few days a couple weeks ago (she was 14 weeks at the time). One thing that worked for us was to hand express a little bit into a spoon then right before I brought her to my breast my husband poured a little milk in her mouth. I guess it made her think she was getting milk faster like she does from a bottle. A few times we would have to do this twice until her sucking caused my let down and then she would nurse perfectly fine. She was over the strike after only a few days but the spoon trick worked great for us!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 4 month old did this all weekend. We went on a lot of walks this weekend and it was always right after the walks that he'd refuse. Figured out he didn't like me sweaty. I showed and then he nursed like normal. Picky boy!