1st Trimester
Options

smoking...

so im 12 weeks and about to enter my 2nd trimester. and i need to quit smoking, i want a healthy baby so i need to quit this gross habit. anybody have any tips to quit smoking or any advice?? 

Re: smoking...

• Options
    audijonesaudijones member
    edited April 2015
    okay thanks
  • Options
    Just stop! What is more important? Your cancer sticks or your baby!

Mommy to my Angel baby Domenico Anjelo M/C 11 weeks 12/20/2014
    C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks
    BFP 6/15 /15 Due: 2/25/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    audijones said:

so im 12 weeks and about to enter my 2nd trimester. and i need to quit smoking, i want a healthy baby so i need to quit this gross habit. anybody have any tips to quit smoking or any advice?? 

Cut your cigarettes in half. Keep cutting every day until it's super short.

Ask your OB about nicotine gum.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Someone in my bmb had success with hypnotherapy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I smoked previously to finding out, honestly, it sounds terrible but try to find something different you can be addicted to. A big part of it is habit and the needing something in your hands. 

I'd say caffeine usually, but... we don't get to consume very much of it. Herbal tea? Every time you want to smoke, drink a cup of herbal tea or even green tea, just use more water to less tea to minimize the caffeine if you're going to be drinking it throughout the day. Also, now might not be a bad time to learn how to knit in your down time to keep you focused and moving. If you work at a job where you and your colleagues go out together and smoke, try to keep your lunch breaks inside to avoid the temptation. Jogging or cardio like zumba or barrre fitness, ever smoke right after a good cardio workout? Hurts like a bitch! Plus the adrenaline and endorphins can become addicting but healthy! 

I know it's going to be extremely tough, but that little nugget is going to be your strength to keep going. Good luck!!!!
  • Options
    I'm so tired of the insensitivity of some people. Quitting smoking is hard and especially when you find out you have to quit one day to the next. I think the fact that you want to stop for your baby shows your regard for him/her and your ability to look out for the both of you. Definitely talk to you OB. You can also try to cut down and then eliminate. Replace some of the habits like having something in your mouth with something else (lollipops, sucking candy, gum). Hopefully some moms who have had experience with this can give you some supportive advice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just stop! What is more important? Your cancer sticks or your baby!

Yeah addiction is really not that simple.
    This. @CicchettiFamily if you don't understand the subject matter it's best to refrain from posting as it makes you come across ignorant and judgy. Op really doesn't need that right now.
  • Options
    Quitting cold turkey could cause more stress on the body because of withdrawal symptoms.

Do you smoke all the time or are you more of a social smoker? If you're social smoker, try to avoid people and situations where you are likely to smoke. Recruit a friend to help you.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Chichigo said:

Quitting cold turkey could cause more stress on the body because of withdrawal symptoms.

Do you smoke all the time or are you more of a social smoker? If you're social smoker, try to avoid people and situations where you are likely to smoke. Recruit a friend to help you.

i smoke all the time. 
  • Options
    Not ignorant, and not pointing flaws or bashing her! I simply stated she needs to quit. Do you not agree? I  was just saying think about what is important, that will help her! This is a public forum, so i am able to give my opinion. I understand quitting isn't easy. No addiction is, but when your life changes and have a little life in your hands, its up to you to do whatever you have to do. And saying I don't understand the subject matter is ignorant. How do you know @amstreagle that I am a smoker but recently quit to get pregnant? I completely understand where she is coming from.

@Audijones   I'm not trying to offend you, or hurt you in any way shape or form. Talk to your doctor and find out the best way to quit right away. You clearly know it isn't good for the baby otherwise you wouldn't have posted. Quitting isn't easy. I personally know this.  I wish you and your baby the best of luck and health.

C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks

• Options

Not ignorant, and not pointing flaws or bashing her! I simply stated she needs to quit. Do you not agree? I  was just saying think about what is important, that will help her! This is a public forum, so i am able to give my opinion. I understand quitting isn't easy. No addiction is, but when your life changes and have a little life in your hands, its up to you to do whatever you have to do. And saying I don't understand the subject matter is ignorant. How do you know @amstreagle that I am a smoker but recently quit to get pregnant? I completely understand where she is coming from.

@Audijones   I'm not trying to offend you, or hurt you in any way shape or form. Talk to your doctor and find out the best way to quit right away. You clearly know it isn't good for the baby otherwise you wouldn't have posted. Quitting isn't easy. I personally know this.  I wish you and your baby the best of luck and health.
    The tone of your response came out that way and as @PrimRoseMama said addiction isn't that simple.
    Op said she knows she needs to quit but is having a hard time and don't you think if she was having as easy a time you had quitting she would have? She obviously knows this or she wouldn't be asking for support. Your response added no value to helping her situation.
    Op I agree with pp that you should see what your doctor can offer as to help. I hope everything goes well and good luck!
  • Options
    Understand it's hard but if u don't know u can or dont quit before you get pregnant that irresponsibility is on you..Cold turkey way to go. Every bit more is more harm done.
  • Options
    RRC216RRC216 member
    edited April 2015
    By posting this, she has to understand ppl may not take it in a great way. Everyone has an opinion. It may not be helpful to her, but I'm sure there are plenty of woman thinking the same or worse than I am. Value or not, it's my opinion. sorry! @audijones , you need to talk to your parents about it, and a doctor. Didn't realize your only 15 years old. Hope they can point you in the right direction!

C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks

• Options

You are 15 years old. Maybe have a conversation with whomever is buying them for you (which is illegal) and tell them to stop buying them for you. And how do you smoke "all the time?" You obviously can't smoke in school. Do your parents allow you to smoke in their house?

This is a public forum, @cicchettifamily can post her opinion, using whatever tone she likes. Getting multiple opinions and responses is what happens when you post something online.

• Options
    I'm calling MUD.
  • Options

I'm calling MUD.

you're calling what?
  • Options
    Made up drama.
  • Options
    ohhh lol
  • Options
    I was a smoker for 15 years and quit the day I found out I was pregnant. Cold turkey. The hardest for me is after eating and during long drives. It's when I enjoyed smoking the most. Throw whatever you have left out. Break them up or soak them in water so you don't find yourself digging through the trash bin later. Stop buying them. Can't smoke them if you don't have them. I was a complete monster to be around and the struggle was real the first two weeks but thankfully one of the smells I can't stand during pregnancy is cigarette smoke. I found out March 28th and I have been smoke free since then. Absolutely no regrets here, I know I did what's best for my baby. 15 years is a long time to smoke...that is literally half my life. If I can do it, so can you. Best of luck to you! 

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • Options
    I'll Be 6 weeks tomorrow. I've been smoking for ten years now. I've found that staying busy and chewing gum while at work (which is the most stressful time for me) has kinda helped. If you can't quit all together, just try to cut down as much as possible. It's hard and your not the only one honey!! I literally just told my boyfriend today (which he thought I quit a week ago) that I'm having a hard time quitting all together. He got mad, but also realized how hard it was for him to quit. Good luck!!! And remember you can do this!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm still TTC but before we started I knew I had to majorly cut from the 1/2 pack a day I was used to so what I did was had my last day smoking like normal and actually counted the amount of cigs I was going through and at what times of the day I was smoking/situations I was in that caused me to crave one. Basically what I did was cut by 1 cig every 3 or 4 days and try to avoid certain circumstances that trigger a craving or keep myself busy during the times I would normally step outside for one. I knew that if I stressed too much about the damage I could potentially do to my baby I would probably digress so what I did was researched the complications associated with smoking mothers and the biggest one I was concerned with was neural tube defects (ie. spina bifida) so I bumped up my folic acid like crazy because that's been known to help decrease that malformation. It isn't a perfect solution but it has helped with me knowing that if I do get pregnant before fully quitting I won't have the extra stress that could cause me to fall back into the habit. It's worked so far for me and I'm down to only a couple cigs a day -- you can do it!