Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

intro... don't know where else to go.

I wasn't going to do this. I didn't want to if this happened but I don't know where else to turn. I'm sorry for the lengthy post but i need to get this out somehow and I feel like except for my SO, everyone just wants to tell me it is common and that it isn't anything to worry about. But I lost my baby 2 weeks ago.
My family has been very supportive in every way that they can but I don't know how to express really how I'm feeling and hearing people tell me they are sorry and that it will all be OK just isn't what I want to hear anymore. In my head I know that it wasn't my fault and that miscarriage is really pretty common. I know that I will never really know why my baby didn't make it but it doesn't make it any easier knowing any of this and I can't help but be terrified that it will happen again. I'm so scared that my worst fear of never being able to have a baby of my own is coming true. I want so badly to try again but I don't know if I can handle it if I have to go thru another loss. I think what makes it hardest for me was having no warning. My body did not recognize that the baby hadn't survived and I still had all the symptoms I should have had. I had no cramps, no spotting. Nothing to indicate any possible problem. If I hadn't gone in for my regular appointment I don't know how long it might have been before my body finally would have done what it was supposed to do.
They told me that since it had been 3 weeks since the baby had stopped growing it was best for me to have a d&c procedure. If I waited for my body to pass the baby naturally then it could have been very painful and I would have a high risk of infection. Now that it is over I just don't feel right. I can't really describe it. I feel like a piece of me is missing somehow. I have to force myself not to try to think back and figure out what I might have done during the week after my ultrasound. I wish they could tell me for sure why my baby didn't survive. I don't even know if it was a boy or girl and that makes it even harder.
I try to take a little comfort in the fact that my sister also lost her first pregnancy but now has 2 beautiful little children. The only issue there is that her body did what it was supposed to do and she had a natural miscarriage at about 5-6 weeks. My baby stopped growing just before 9 weeks and at almost 12 weeks my body gave me no indication that there was any problem at all. It was finally starting to feel real and not like just a dream when it was suddenly ripped away like I stepped into a nightmare.

Anyways, like I said, I've heard enough I'm sorrys and what not. I just want to feel normal again. I want to know that I'm not defective. I want to know that I will be a mommy to a child of my own. It's the one thing that I have always wanted in my life no matter what else has changed. I want to know that it will happen and not just hear people tell me that to make me feel better.

Re: intro... don't know where else to go.

• Options
    So sorry for your loss. It's sad how many of us that have to go through this. Prayers for you!
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Missed m/cs are a special kind of hell. I've been through several, and from my perspective based on past experience, you were right to opt for the D&C. It seems like the longer your body holds on, the more painful passing the tissue is when it finally happens. I know you have all the statistics, that this doesn't mean you won't have a living rainbow in the future, but I also know it doesn't really help to be told that when the loss is fresh and the fear is strong. I just wanted to offer (((HUGS))).

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MrsGargoyle yes! A special kind of hell is certainly a fitting description for what I'm feeling. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that my body went weeks without any indication of an issue. My body was still trying to keep the baby alive even tho it was hopeless instead of doing what it should have done. Maybe this sounds crazy but I honestly feel like I would be coping much better if I had gone thru a natural miscarriage instead of this. I'm a very logical person so for me it is incredibly hard to accept that my body didn't do what it should have done and no one can tell me why. No one has any explanation other than the unexplainable "these things just happen" excuse. I can't accept that no matter how hard I try. OK I get it that the baby wasn't viiable for whatever reason. That is very hard to say at such an early stage without any extensive testing and even then I don't think they really know since there are so many factors but why didn't my body recognize that my baby wasn't alive anymore? It doesn't feel right. It doesn't make sense and if they can't tell me why then how do I know that there isn't something wrong with me? I just want answers and no one seems to have any.
  • Options
    I totally understand everything you're feeling. I struggle with those thoughts everyday. I don't know the answer and all I can say, is it just plain sucks.
  • Options
    @Embuzz247 thank you! It is nice to know that I'm not the only one. I mostly needed to vent my frustration and try to make sense of what I'm really feeling. It sucks beyond anything I've ever felt. I wish I could really describe what I feel. The best I can think of its that I feel like part of me was taken away, stolen from me. I was already so in love with my little baby. I'm so certain that she was a girl but I won't ever know for sure and it kills me that I won't ever hear her cry or see her little face. I won't ever know her. All I have is a blurry little ultrasound picture that barely even looks like a baby at all. I certainly don't regret telling everyone that I was having a baby as I know I will have all the support I could ask for but it is hard hearing the same uncomfortable "I'm sorry" from people who don't know what it feels like and I didn't expect to feel so alone even with all the support and love.
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I'm sorry for your loss. Hang in there.
  • Options
    I heard a quote that read, "if you've been through it, no explanation is needed. If you haven't, no explanation can be given." Because at the end of the day, unless you've felt this pain, you can't possibly understand it. So yes, you're going to get uncomfortable "I'm sorrys" and the even worse, "it happened for a reason" or "God needed angel" bullshit. People just don't know what to say so they resort to that. It's the worst. Just know, you are not alone. There are no words to describe how incredibly awful losing a pregnancy is.
  • Options
    I just found out I had a missed miscarriage too a few days ago at my first 12 week ultrasound. They said the baby stopped developing around 8wks4days. My DH and I are devastated, it was my worst nightmare. I'm supposed to have a D&C sometime this week. My body had no idea anything was wrong and just kept acting like it was pregnant. I too, am a logical person, and wish they could tell me why this happened and not all the cliche answers as you mentioned. It's good to hear your sister went on to have 2 healthy pregnancies after her miscarriage. That gives me hope.
  • Options
    @Babylovecali something my mom (who is a nurse and works in maternity) told me gave me some peace and may help you too. They don't have any way to tell for sure when the baby's heart actually may have stopped. I know this doesn't sound like a comfort at first but consider this... Just because my baby was only measuring 8w6d doesn't mean that that is exactly when the baby stopped growing. Growth could have slowed down and the baby could have still been alive up until maybe even the day before my appointment. Because of this, I have been able to deal much better with what happened. It doesn't seem like such a mess in my head thinking that it probably wasn't actually 3 weeks that my body didn't recognize the loss but that it was possible that it was just timing. I wonder if my body just hadn't gotten the chance to recognize it yet and that I might have miscarried naturally after all. That part still being unknown is tough for me but at least I can imagine that my body wasn't totally unaware and take comfort in that. I hope you can find the same peace of mind that I have with this. The d&c wasn't as scary as I thought it would be and I recovered (physically) pretty quick. It's hard to believe that it has been 3 weeks already and I'm actually looking forward to trying again at this point but it's still scary to think about facing this again. I'm trying to have faith that it will be OK and not let it control me.
  • Options
    @tigerfish227 I had a pre D&C appt yesterday with my OB and she told me the same thing your mom said, so that was good to know it probably wasn't in there without a heartbeat as long as I thought. I have my D&C tomorrow and I hope it goes well. I'm nervous about trying again because I don't know if I'm strong enough to go through another loss again so soon. My doctor said to wait at least 2 cycles before trying again. I know I should be positive and not worry, but it's hard not to at this point.
  • Options
    MsVoxMsVox member
    It's been a few weeks since I last visited this website - I originally joined to read up and be able to share stories during my pregnancy, then when I had a miscarriage mid february I stopped visiting cause it was too hard to read up and I also didn't feel like sharing myself. This evening I opened up the site again and ran into your post and now I do feel like sharing my story a bit as well. I know you've heard enough "I'm sorry"s (not to mention all the well-meant but totally inappropriate and insensitive comments) but I am so sorry you lost your baby.

The hubs and I went in for our first ultrasound in our 10th week of pregnancy, all excited and hopeful and even giddy because we were going to see our baby for the first time. Everything shattered to pieces when the ultrasound showed that there was no heartbeat and the baby likely stopped growing at like 6 weeks. It was like my worst nightmare came true, sure you know the statistics and all but I had had no signs, no cramps, no spotting, no nothing and yet still... I felt betrayed by my own body that after all these weeks it had not recognized that the pregnancy wasn't viable but kept me believing I was carrying a healthy pregnancy. It was clear medical intervention was necessary so we opted to induce the miscarriage at home with misoprostol the day after we found out. Sadly I ended up having to undergo a d/c 3 weeks later after all because of an incomplete miscarriage.. which was a disappointment (though even still I'm happy still with the decision to do the misoprostol). I have to say, those weeks in between the ultrasound and the d/c were really rough and I felt so bad, then the day after the d/c physically I felt so much better! It's taken me 2 weeks to stop bleeding after the d/c and once that was finished I finally felt like the physical part of the mc was "complete" and that I could move on to the next phase so to speak, to start healing emotionally.

Thank you for sharing what your mother told you about not having a way to tell for sure when the baby's heart actually stopped and all. I never thought of it that way and now that I have, I have to say it does comfort me to know that perhaps.. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself when it comes to my body not recognizing things had gone wrong. That's really been a struggle, even though I know it wasn't anything I did or could have done to prevent the miscarriage.

I'm currently waiting for my first post-d/c period to start, and it's an odd sensation. On the one hand I'm glad that after 5 weeks I've finally stopped bleeding completely, and that I no longer have to carry pads everywhere - on the other hand I'm so looking forward to my first period as that will feel like yet another new phase is beginning.. that physically I'm ready to start ttc again (though emotionally I'm not quite that far yet and the hubs and I have decided to give ourselves a bit more time before ttc again) and that's a bíg thing. These past weeks I have felt that I wasn't in control of things, and it's not a good feeling. Now I know I can't control ttc either but at least all will be to where we can at least try again? If that makes sense. I'm both impatiently looking forward to that moment as terrified of falling pregnant again cause while I know a new pregnancy is nót the same as this previous one and  no doubt/most likely all will go just fine.. I am just scared as I'm not sure I can cope with another loss like this. But I try not to let that get to me to much cause then I'll be living with to much anxiety rather then life in the moment and enjoy all the good things that surround me.

Oops it got lenghty ;) Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    Although this is such a trying and difficult time for you, and quite a few others that I have read on here, I have been helped in a way as I am going through the same thing. My husband and I found out at our US appt yesterday at 10 weeks that the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. I too am in the midst of a missed miscarraige. So much of it doesnt make sense and feels so surreal. I have a follow up tomorrow with the dr to find out whats going on and where to go. I am feeling like my husband and I will opt for the medication to help move things along over the weekend.

I wish you all the best of luck in the future. Keep strong, and many prayers to you.
  • Options
    MsVoxMsVox member
    edited March 2015
    Oh @oxsaraf7ox, so sorry to read this. That first day after finding out felt so surreal and it was hard to grasp all that was happening was real. I hope your visit with your dr will help you make "sense" of it a bit more - if only on the 'what to do now' part, which I felt was what was concerning me most ríght after finding out. The emotional side of things was too overwhelming and for me it helped to focus on the physical part somehow those first days, though of course everybody is different and will experience this different. I wish you a lot of strenght and best of luck these next days.

One small word of advice.. don't google too much on what to expect when you take the medication. There's a lót of horrorstories out there while those women who had a more positive experience (or at least less horrid) don't tend to write about it much. There's a couple of informative posts on the topic and how to prepare for it here on the board (though also bad exeriences) and also some well written blogposts elsewhere online - if you'd be interested in reading some other women's experiences feel free to msg me and I can give you some links if you like. Or share my own story, which was rough but... doable?
    Good luck!
  • Options
    @MsVox thank you so much for the advice and kind words. Todays appointment went well and I took blood to find out if I am anemic in order to move forward with the misoprostol (or however it is spelled). Hopefully I hear back this afternoon about those results. I am unfortunately in a wedding and cannot do anything over these next three days but plan on moving forward this weekend as I have all of next week off for spring break as a teacher. This page has been amazing for my these last two days in helping read other womens stories. Thank you all for your stories, as I am sure they are hard for everyone to write, but I assure you...they are helping others to know we aren't all alone.

@MsVox I do plan to message you later this week. Thank you!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for what you are going through. My mc was just confirmed today and it doesn't seem real. I think our bodies are like us. We as women keep powering through. We aren't quitters and somehow we fix everything. Sadly our bodies can not fix everything. Your body did not do anything wrong. It wanted your baby just as much as you did. I think I am going to get a necklace and maybe a small tattoo to honor my little angel baby and help me cope with the deep deep emptiness and loss I am feeling right now. That ache that is endless
  • Options
    I am sorry that you are going through this.  I have some of the same thoughts as you: how could my baby stop growing but my nausea and exhaustion get worse?  How has it now been three weeks since my baby stopped growing inside of me but my body is showing no signs of natural miscarriage?  And the big one WHY?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Happy thoughts for you pulling through this! I don't know if it gets easier but I sure hope you get the answers you are looking for or in the least find some peace. It's crazy to me that with medicine as it is these days, pregnancy is still such a mystery. Big hugs!
  • Options
    MsVoxMsVox member
    @oxsarah7ox Haven't been behind the pc for a couple days, sorry for the delay in responding! I'm glad to read that the dr visit went well and I hope you got your bloodtest results by now too. And gosh girl it must be rough to be in a wedding with all the happiness and happy faces around you while you're going through this.. Hope you're okay and I wish you strenght and warmth these next days, know that even when things are so so rough, it wíll get better!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I came back to check if there had been anything new as I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much time to check here. I'm very glad that my experience has been a comfort to some of you as that oddly makes it easier. I'm actually doing very well now that it has been 4 weeks since my loss. I'm feeling so much better and even tho I still feel like a part of me is missing or broken or what I can't quite put my finger on... I feel like I can at least move on. Still waiting for my AF to start back up but I have my follow-up with the Dr in 2 weeks and hopefully will get the go-ahead to TTC again. My SO and I decided that we aren't going to fuss over it but just let it happen. I'm not going to try to track my ovulation or anything because I don't want the stress. I don't want to try to pinpoint when to try and end up stressing because I'm thinking we might have missed it. I have a healthy "appetite" anyways so I'm not likely to miss it whether I know when or not to try.

I still have a lot of fears about going thru everything again. I'm still terrified that it will happen again but I can't imagine not trying. Maybe it's a bit like falling off a bike or a horse (tho obviously much more painful emotionally) where if you wait too long you may never get up the courage to give it another try. I just can't see myself waiting until I'm not scared because I don't think the fear will ever really go away. I don't know how I will handle another loss if that is what happens but I can't let that fear control me and keep me from the possibility of ever having a successful pregnancy just to prevent the possibility of another unsuccessful one. I know, no matter what, I have my SO and his 2 boys. They will be there for me. And I have the rest of my family that will help me get thru it if I have to do it again.
  • Options
    MsVoxMsVox member
    @Tigerfish227, glad to read you are feeling much better and are doing well. For me it's been 7 weeks now and I too feel much better then before, and like I have moved on a bit. Not to say I don't have my moments, or are feeling 100% back to my former self.. but that's okay - these things take time. Still (im)patiently waiting for AF to start again, which is frustrating but I know I just have to be patient there too. The hubs and I have decided to give it a couple of months before starting TTC again, as we both need a bit more time to heal emotionally. The miscarriage came on top of loosing a couple of relatives just prior to falling pregnant so it's all a bit much to handle. I'm both eager as terrified thinking of becoming pregnant again! But one way or the other I will try again as I just really hope to have a family of my own one day.
  • Options
    bntfroggiebntfroggie member
    edited April 2015
    I found out on Monday that we have an angel baby and like you my body didn't recognize it and now I'm in the limbo of trying to decide between waiting to miscarry or getting the D&C both of which are terrifying to me.

I too have gotten the whole gambit of responses and even the well you are lucky it didn't take you long to conceive or you are lucky you were only 10 wks into your pregnancy. I sure as hell don't feel lucky. I feel like a walking tomb if that makes sense. Everytime I hug my husband or he touches my belly to hold me I know our little one is still in there and I'm having a very hard time with that.

The doctor went over the options after they told me there was no heartbeat, but I watched the sonogram and knew as soon as they measured him. My worst fears had become a reality. I went numb that day and still am, I didn't bring my husband with me to the appointment because it was just supposed to be bloodwork, telling him was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Knowing in that moment before making the phone call I would change his world.

I'm still very sad and have had absolutely no sign of miscarriage anytime soon. This pain is the worst I've ever felt. I loved our baby so much in the 12 weeks I thought he was there.

Anyway I'm sorry for everyone's losses here. I can relate and I guess only time can heal.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    @bntfroggie my doctor told me that because of the missed mc it could be very painful and carried a high risk of infection to wait. I also felt like if I had waited instead of doing the d&c it might have been more damaging to me emotionally. I had to let go and "get it over with". They gave me the option to wait and see what my body would do but knowing that the baby was already gone I felt like waiting would not help me to heal. As I sat in the exam room trying to grasp the fact that my baby was no longer living I couldn't imagine waiting days or possibly longer to see if my body would finally do what it should have already. I know that if I had waited it would have been more stressful wondering when it would happen and how bad it might be. Choosing the d&c gave me a sense of calm in a way. It gave me a definite end. Maybe that sounds a little strange. I feel like it would have made more sense in my head if I had lost the baby naturally but knowing already that I had lost the baby I couldn't stand the thought of going on waiting. If it was going to be over it might as well be sooner rather than later. No sense prolonging the inevitable. Hope this helps in your decision. I can't tell you what will be right for you. Just sharing what was right for me.
  • Options
    @tigerfish227 I also chose the D&C option.  I had my surgery on Friday and feel much better.  I couldn't take the head game of waiting to heal and waiting to be in pain.  Thank you for sharing your story.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss- I know exactly what you're going through. September of 2013 I became pregnant and everything was going smoothly. I was getting my levels checked and once they hit a certain point the doctor said there was no more need to get them done. Our 9 week appointment went well and I had "graduated" onto going to a OBGYN instead of the fertility doctor. At my first appointment with my OBGYN he found the missed miscarriage at 11 weeks. The baby had stopped growing at 9.5 weeks.

A few days later I had a d&c, it was a horrible time for me because I was pregant during my birthday and within that same month I had a d&c- plus it was Thanksgiving week- I was a wreck.

I didn't know what could have gone wrong. But I let my body heal, took baby aspirin everyday (I read online it can help prevent a miscarriage even if that isn't true it helped me believe it)

2 months later I was pregnant again. I couldn't believe how quick and simple it was since the first one took 6 months woth of trying. I went straight to my OBGYN and he checked my levels and told me that my progesterone was low, and as a precaution, I should take progesterone supplements. Well I took the suppositories and pills since my levels were dangerously low. After 10 weeks he took me off them and I actually had a normal, healthy pregnancy.

When I try for my second child I will go back on progesterone pills because I honestly think that had something to do with it. I'm not sure if you had gotten your levels checked or not but it doesn't hurt to take every precaution necessary within the first 3 months since it's super fragile during that time.

My baby was due on the day I had my d&c the previous year, but she came around my birthday instead- she made up for the previous terrible November that we went through.

I have faith you will have your baby when you are suppose to have your baby. ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Options
    @tigerfish227 forgot to tag you
  • Options
    @Lily9911 thanks for sharing as well. I go back for my 6 week follow up next week and I'm hoping that he tells me we can start trying again. It only took us 4 cycles to concieve and my sister tried for over a year before concieving. She miscarried her first and concieved again on her next cycle. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high right away because I don't want to be disappointed if it takes a while but I also don't want to worry too much either because the stress is not helpful either.
  • Options
    @tigerfish227 good luck to you! I have faith everything will work out. ❤️