November 2015 Moms

Appointments every 4 weeks

so this might be a dumb question but I'm coming up on my next appointment, I had one at 7.5w and now at 11.5w and my doc said every 4 weeks until the 3rd trimester...just curious as to what to expect. Do they do an ultrasound every time or is it just an exam? I think I was so overwhelmed I didn't catch all the details of upcoming stuff! Lol

Re: Appointments every 4 weeks

• My Dr measured my belly, asked me symptom questions, made me pee in a cup, and asked if I had any questions. Only got an U/S as a confirmation of pregnancy at 10weeks and anatomy scan at 20 weeks.
  • The ultrasounds typically take place at 12 weeks, if you choose to have the screening for Down's Syndrome, and at 18-22 weeks when you get to find out the sex of the baby. My doctor said that they will get a urine sample, take weight, check blood pressure, and listen to baby's heartbeat at every appointment apart from the big ones. Hope this helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not an ultrasound each time, but they will listen for heartbeat at each appt.
  • The ultrasounds typically take place at 12 weeks, if you choose to have the screening for Down's Syndrome, and at 18-22 weeks when you get to find out the sex of the baby. My doctor said that they will get a urine sample, take weight, check blood pressure, and listen to baby's heartbeat at every appointment apart from the big ones. Hope this helps.

Well, really, the anatomy scan at 20 weeks is to make sure the baby is developing properly and has things like a brain, lungs, stomach, and limbs, but sure.
  • How could I forget the heartbeat! Duh! Im a little out of practice.. my son is 4.. its been a minute since my womb was inhabited
  • amh0411712amh0411712 member
    edited April 2015
    Every 4 weeks, you'll provide a urine sample to test for protein and sugars in your urine. They'll measure the fundamental height of your uterus, see if you have questions and listen for a heartbeat.

A/s at 20 weeks is the only other ultrasound (other than genetic testing) unless there is reason for concern.
  • Ya, pee in a cup to check for protein and sugar, blood pressure, weight, baby's heartbeat, measure your belly and feel it, and discuss symptoms to make sure nothing seems amiss. Sometimes you'll give blood I forget how many times - I think it was first appointment, at glucose test, if you are having genetic or other special tests done, and maybe one more time i forget for what...? If you are Rh negative you'll get a rogham shot at some point, and most OBs will want to give you a flu shot and any other vaccines you aren't up to date on. You do a glucose tolerance test towards the end of your 2nd trimester. Anatomy scan at 20 weeks. She may also discuss things like birthing classes, your birth plan, and what may happen in various situations or scenarios, you may also discuss things like breastfeeding or circumcision, car seat safty, or other little things related to having a baby. Most of that is in the third trimester though. She'll probably talk about diet and vitamins and exercise if yall didn't already at the first appointment. At 37 weeks you may start having internal exams to check effacement and dialation, and you may get a Pap smear at some point soon if you haven't had one in the last year.

• Awesome, thanks ladies! I think I was just so happy to see the nugget that everything after just went in one ear and out the other!