September 2015 Moms
Options

Tanning & Tanning beds

Hey ladies!
So I used to tan maybe twice a month before I was pregnant, and since ive found out i have only gone twice ( 7 minutes in a low power bed). I talked to my doctor about it and she said no to tanning. She said she would say no whether I was pregnant or not. I haven't tanned since, but I HAVE done my research and it seems like tanning for under 10 minutes isn't bad at all, the uv rays don't effect baby, and as long as you don't over heat (same as tanning outside, hot baths, ect), you should be fine. I am wondering if your doctors approved you to tan or what your opinion on tanning is as I am dying to go for the odd one!

Re: Tanning & Tanning beds

• Options
    I don't think any doctor is going to approve tanning pregnant or not. My doctor wouldn't even approve coloring my hair because he said there are too many unknowns and ethically he didn't feel right giving me a yes or no. I color my hair because I feel the research that has been done and the life examples I have seen show no damage to the baby. I feel like tanning kinda falls into this category. Yes it's not great for you, but if you're not addicted to it and are smart about it it's probably not that big of a deal. My opinion only obviously. I like to build a bit of a base tan this time of year in tanning beds because it keeps me from burning outside. I have never spent more than 7-8 minutes in one and honestly I over heat more at the gym than in a bed. Haven't done it yet this year but...thinking about it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm skipping tanning this year. My doctor even told me to avoid self tanners. It most likely could be fine, but there's too many unknowns and it's not worth the risk, no matter how small. I'm not loving feeling so pale but honestly it's not good for you anyways. That's my choice though and you should do what your comfortable with
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it... I am planning on getting a spray tan in a few weeks because we have a weekend music festival we're going to and I'm a ghost. But I don't get them all the time. all of those concentrated UV Rays from a tanning bed on my tummy/growing baby would just make me nervous.
  • Options
    NO WAY I would tan in a tanning bed while pregnant. I am not against going to the tanning bed in general, but I am not putting my baby at risk for vanity. I have always been a big spray tan user, but have stopped doing that because even though it's okay on your skin, it's unproven if it's okay to breath the mist while pregnant. I hated being pale for the first few weeks, but then I got used to it. If you want to be tan that bad, just get some sunless tanner...there are some really good brands that look natural. 
  • Options
    I live by the beach so I'll still sun bathe a bit in my bathing suit, with lots of water and shade available if I need it. I used to tan twice a month to even out my bikini lines haha, but won't do that while pregnant, just feel like it's not really worth it. Don't think it's the end of the world if you do it a few times, just be balanced and careful with how long you spend. Tanning beds obviously aren't the best thing for you, but I still think there are worse things you could do while pregnant.
  • Options
    I worked part time at a tanning Salon and I was told by my boss to turn away pregnant women because she did not want to get sued if complications happened. She would rather lose a customer than have a law suit. I never read the complications or reasons why they don't like/allow pregnant women but her business was allowed to refuse service to anyone. I think I've only turned away 1 pregnant person only because she admitted to being pregnant but was not showing and was asking out of curiosity and caution. This was over 7 years ago. Rules might be different now.
  • Options
    Absolutely not. Tanning when pregnant is a huge no no. I'm used to self tanning but have stopped since I found out. Many people have found organic tanners that work well for them though! Maybe look into that option as well.
  • Options
    MiromiMMiromiM member
    edited April 2015
    My doctor disapproves of tanning in general and fortunately because of genetics I've never needed to. A good question to ask your doctor would be why she disapproves. One reason to not tan would be because ones skin is different in pregnancy. Lina negra, "the mask of pregnancy", varicose veins, and skin tags are just a few of the complexion problems and from what I remember reading, being out in the sun makes some them worse.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So are spray tans okay then? I heard the chemicals were just as bad for you. I need to do something though. I always feel better about myself when I'm tan.
  • Options
    Nessy430 said:
    Thanks for the article. Might do this just for my baby shower or some family pics or something. I love my suntan!
  • Options
    @mrscaterosales no prob! I think in moderation these are totally ok. I'm having one done in a few weeks and maybe I'll have one more done for my shower or something if I don't have enough time out in the sun! Everything just looks so much better when you're tan lol