Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Finger Food Suggestions for Toddler Who Will Only Eat Fruit

My toddler is 15 months old and she is going thru a huge struggle with finger foods. She's extremely picky about textures, so if it makes her fingers messy or gooey, she refuses to eat it. However, she will eat fruit by the ton. I'm trying to get her to eat some proteins and veggies but it just isn't happening. Every day meal time is a battlefield. I feel like giving up...I mean, she will outgrow it and eventually eat other foods, right? I guess I'm just worried about having a picky eater on my hands! I don't want to always make separate meals for her and then for my husband and I! Any suggestions out there, Mommas??? 

Re: Finger Food Suggestions for Toddler Who Will Only Eat Fruit

• diced ham, cubed cheese, chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
    maybe grape tomatoes since she likes fruit? my dd loves tomatoes.
    dry pasta noodles

• My daughter will almost always go for whole wheat Rotini with butter and parmesan cheese on it. Other favorites are greek yogurt or simply gogurt, string cheese or Colby-Jack cheese squares, and the squeeze pouches of fruit/veggies (she especially loves the mango, pear, kale pouches from Costco). Those are great because she can suck them down without getting her hands dirty. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • -lunch meat roled up and cut in half
    -Noodles (they make some that are partially made from veggies 25% I think)
    -hot dogs (not my favorite to give but I slice up and she'll actually eat them)
    -oat meal - cooked thick and cooled it'll form into little balls / blobs and if she just picks up it's not to messy
    -muffins - I make pumpkin muffins and add carrots, zuchinnie, etc to it. My daughter LOVES them, i do add a little sugar but the recipie calls for 4 cups which I cut to 1 and 1/2- I made it today with 2 and 1/2 cups and they were way way to sweet. The carrots really add a lot if sweetness. I justs use my ninja to make sure they are cut very very very tiny.
  • Thanks for the ideas! Sometimes it just takes another Momma to give you some new insight! :)
  • We went through a similar issue with DD not wanting to eat any veggies.  I mean none, and when she was eating purees she loved all of them, so I figured it was a texture thing she was going through.  Well, we kept putting broccoli or carrot or whatever other veg DH and I were eating on her plate and then when she seemed a little interested I bribed her.  I said if she ate a piece of broccoli I'd do a dance.  So she did and I did the silliest dance I could think of, cheering the whole time.  Then she ate a 2nd piece and DH danced like a fool.  Somehow this now entices her to eat a few veg - so we dance like weirdos and cheer really loudly.  I've also bribed with stickers.  Whatever works, right?
  • Don't give up! She is still eating healthy. I would just let her eat the fruit. Like someone else suggested may start cutting up veggies as well. Have you tried giving her a fork or spoon? My daughter is like that as well, she doesn't like anything on her fingers. At that age, I let her practic with a fork and/or spoon. She became more interested in that.
  • DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited March 2015
    Maybe try sweet potato fries? DS loves mini muffins so I get him to eat veggies that way (you can sub agave nectar or raw maple syrup for sugar) and use applesauce instead of oil. Pumpkin, zucchini, carrot, oatmeal breads. It's actually a good way to use up all the purées he refuses to eat now.
    Also he loves meatballs. You can add a little veggie purée to those too if you make them yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lurking. I sneak veggie purées into stuff my daughter likes. I make her eggs with cauliflower and cheese, pancakes with spinach, she loves it. Muffins are a huge win. Check out the website weelicious for some great recipes.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • My son is a fruit monster but he will always eat cheese cubes, muffins, baked squash, peanut butter bread, goldfish crackers, yogurt and French fries!!!
  • I'm in a similar situation and I was thinking about introducing nuts like cashew...My main concerns are choking hazards and food allergy...Can anyone sheir their experience with feeding nuts?
  • At 15 month checkup DS pedi. said he could have peanut butter. They sell cashew, almond, and sunflower seed butter at the grocery store/health food store. DS has been having sun butter at daycare on crackers and loves it! You could make your own just purée some nuts. No worry with choking hazard that way. I have not introduced nuts to DS yet. I think I'll wait till 2yr. even though the doc gave us the go ahead. There are also Larabars and other health bars which are fruit and nut bars that are finely ground up. I have not tried feeding them to DS but that might be a good source as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can hide spinach in anything it doesn't really have a taste of its own. I hide spinach in sauces, smoothies, muffins, cookies and esspecially brownies since the chocolate hides the green color