Babies on the Brain
Options

previously or currently on accutane?

I am just curious if there is anybody who has previously taken accutane or is currently taking accutane and if you have or will plan to ttc any differently.
I am currently taking accutane due to a terrible flare up of cystic acne and have had to postpone any plans to ttc.

Re: previously or currently on accutane?

• Options
    I have two students on this medication. One who was strongly recommended to go on birth control when prescribed it to prevent pregnancy. Which she did. The other a male who mentioned his doctor warning him strongly to avoid sex but if he has it to use a condom and she be on BC. I hadn't heard of it before this year but it seems like powerful stuff. It even says on their prescriptions to not get pregnant.

I am sure it sucks having to put off TTC but it seems like the safest thing. Hopefully you can get off it soon!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    My sister-in-law took Accutane and had to be on two forms of birth control (birth control and the use of condoms). There were warnings everywhere on the prescription about not getting pregnant. The medicine also made her extremely emotional. I would talk to your doctor about how long you have to wait till the medicine is out of your system so you can start TTC again. I'm sorry that you had to postpone TTC but I hope you can resume TTC soon. 
    Anniversary
    Me (29) + DH (30) | Dating 2003 | Married 2008
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You absolutely should not be TTC while on Accutane, and most doctors recommend waiting at least two cycles after stopping Accutane before getting pregnant, to make sure all of the drug is out of your system. Accutane during pregnancy can cause severe brain and heart defects in the fetus. 
  • Options
    I took Accutane for months when I was a teenager. PP is right: it causes severe defects and can also cause malformations of the fetus's skull. It can take up to 4 days for Accutane to completely leave your system, according to its half-life, but my dermatologist recommended that I wait at least 1-2 months before planning for children. (That was 9 years ago, though. Not sure if the formula has changed or not.) 

The takeaway from this is that you definitely need to talk with your doctor. Ask for a blood test if you're concerned. Accutane will show up on your panels, so you'll know if it's still in your bloodstream. 
    DH (23) and Me (23)
    Married 1/20/2015
    TTC #1 in August 2015! 
  • Options
    I went on accutane in 2008 and it was required for me to be on birth control to avoid a pregnancy. Accutane causes serious birth defects and some that can be fatal. I would push back your TTC until you are completely done with the drug and are cleared by your doctor. 

There is information on the website above. However your doctor should be able to answer the questions regarding timing with TTC, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes definitely not trying to conceive but wanted to hear about anybody's experience ttc post accutane. And if you did anything differently especially in supplements you took etc. The doctor said we should wait 3 months after but im wondering if we should wait a year or am i being too worried?
  • Options

Yes definitely not trying to conceive but wanted to hear about anybody's experience ttc post accutane. And if you did anything differently especially in supplements you took etc. The doctor said we should wait 3 months after but im wondering if we should wait a year or am i being too worried?

Why don't you trust your doctor's advice?