June 2015 Moms
Options

Body Depression

hi ladies. This is the first time I've ever written on a forum but I felt like I had to. I'm feeling so alone right now... I'm 30 weeks pregnant & I just CANT seem to accept my pregnant body. I HATE the way I look! Pre pregnancy I weighed 135 & I'm 5'7, so I was somewhat thin... I've gained about 35-40 lbs & I'm so miserable. My legs are full of cellulite & my arms have doubled in size. I won't let my husband see me without clothes on. I break down crying daily just looking in the mirror. I'm so excited to welcome our little boy into this world & I feel so guilty for feeling this way but idk what to do! I've ripped 2 pair of maternity jeans in the past 3 days. I'm avoiding buying more simply bc I know I need a bigger size. These feelings consume me, leaving no room for any other feelings. I want to embrace my body & feel happy but I'm so depressed. Please help... Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Body Depression

• Options
    R87R87 member
    It's totally normal to feel this way. I always tell my husband how unattractive I feel. But I tell myself it's not forever, I'm growing a life and what motivates me the most is I tell myself after I have the baby I going to get into the best shape of my life. Not too much longer to go, hang in there : )
  • Options
    here it goes again..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You're not alone! I just called my mom whining, the cellulite seems to be running vampid. Oh well, just remind yourself YOU'RE PREGNANT! :)
  • Options
    @mfulendwider it is good that you chose to post here. Many ladies feel the same way you do because of the weight gain associated with pregnancy. Dress in what makes you comfortable and what looks good, there are some really cute dresses, long maxi skirts and tops - rock some leggings if you want to hide the cellulite.  

The harsh reality is, you still have 10 weeks left and you may gain some more weight. Then when your precious little boy is born - it will take some time to shed the weight you have gained.

As @finchfeeder80 said, if the way you feel is affecting your quality of life ... now is a good time to talk to a doctor (and insist that you get someone to talk to) because it can easily carry on into post-partum depression. 

Hang in there momma!
  • Options
    I think we are all suffering from this a little bit in our own way. It's a weird thing to go through and you certainly aren't alone. My shirt always stays on during sexy time which quite frankly has been awhile since who feels sexy right now!?! I wish I was the type who could rock a bump but I can't. I like what a PP said about being kind to yourself. Sometimes I feel like I say things regarding my appearance that I would NEVER say about another person. We are our own worst critic. I stopped weighing myself and I told the nurses during my appointments to not say the weight out loud or tell me. It really helped out.
  • Options
    I'm the same height and close to the same weight as u I'm 185 so if my math is correct im a little bigger. We are also in the same week of pregnancy. And I'm depressed about my body being unattractive. So we have a lot in common. I agree with a lot of what all the other ladies said. I think of it like this...if I don't like my body I can always change it back to almost normal by working out and tanning after babies born. It will help your self esteem. Our baby is soooooooo worth the cellulite and extra padding we carry during pregnancy. Definitely worth it.
  • Options
    And I'm having a boy too!
  • Options
    I can relate and empathize - I will say, it was work but, with my first I gained 65 lbs and lost 75 -- it meant a lot of work after, but I did it! It's hard to see your body change -- this pregnancy I had a goal weight gain of 25 lbs and planned to exercise all the way through, but I'm having complications and can't - basically Gds way of saying, gain some weight - just work it off! If your husband is supportive that's wonderful if he's not, he can be later...apparently, I started to resemble his cousin that he couldn't stand when I gained weight...Feel better
  • Options
    I feel the same way DH tells me I'm fine I'm pregnant n I'll loose it but it's hard to get threw when I don't feel good about it but Ik when my daughter comes it will be worth it just look forward to what's coming out of all this
  • Options
    When you see those big handsome eyes staring at you the day your son is born, you will forget all about what your body looks like. I promise! I have gained 46 lbs so far this pregnancy! And I also fell HUGE and just uncomfortable, but I know this is temporary and for a really good reason! :) Just remember, totally normal to feel this way and you will lose the weight... and you are not alone. we are all in this TOGETHER!  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker    

• Options
    So relieved to read this and know I'm not alone. I feel like there has been lots of threads about women hardly gaining any weight or being petite (all of which are fine) and I do understand every woman, pregnancy and body is different - it's just good to find some solace in not being the only woman struggling with their pregnant body.
    People keep telling saying "you don't even look that big" and "don't forget your pregnant" then you get the other people who tell you to exercise and eat really healthy so "you don't have to lose so much when you've had the baby" but the truth is I've always had big legs, hips and bum, just when you add massive boobs, big belly and a bit extra padding all over i feel like a total whale. Especially carrying it all on a 5"3 frame but at 32 and a 1/2 weeks there's little I can do about what I'm already carrying so the exercise comments just tick me off! When I walk (waddle) I feel like I'm carrying a bowling ball in my knickers and constantly have the urge to pee :-S
    So thank you to all the women who have posted positive words on this thread, it's made my friday after a stressful day trying to get some summery clothes that don't make me look like a ball.
  • Options
    I have always had eating problems and body image issues. 4 pregnancies later and it hasn't gotten any easier. I can tell you that your baby is worth it all and helps ease the anxiety and stress. Be gentle with yourself you are beautiful!
  • Options

"I feel like I'm carrying a bowling ball in my knickers and constantly have the urge to pee :-S 

Isn't that the truth! I can not walk without feeling like I have to pee every couple of minutes! It is horrible!!

And to do with the actual post.... I have the most horrible body image. Always have. Being pregnant is so hard for me when it comes to weight gain. I know people think I am insane when I complain about the way that I look since I started out thin....but I can see my growing thighs, new love handles, face getting bigger, arms getting bigger. It all kind of too much to take in. And I can't complain about it to ANYONE because everyone just thinks I am insane. I have gained a good amount of weight..and it isn't just belly. Pregnancy is hard for many reasons.. but weight gain is the worst by far! But as you all said.. I am sure when my baby girl is born....it won't even matter!

• Options
    By letting yourself gain some weight you are doing the right thing for your baby. Docs have known since the 1950s when weight targets were close to a 14 pound gain for the whole pregnancy that restricted weight gain during pregnancy adversely impacts fetal size. Your baby will be healthy and thank you for it. I have been having the same issues and was feeling quite depressed. Last pregnancy I started at your height with a weight of 123 and ended the pregnancy at 156. This time around I wanted to gain less but at 33.5 I am already 149 pounds so likely I will gain more and I won't restrict myself because it might harm my baby. It is hard to feel out of control of your body. I find doing light exercise to maintain and build muscle tone has helped me stay in touch with my body and made me feel like at least it might be a bit easier when I go to lose the weight after having the baby. you are nearly there and as others have said, any negative thoughts that dominate your day could be a warning sign for ppd, maybe talk to your GP and see if you guys can set up a plan for support for after the birth for if you do start to feel depressed.
  • Options
    For those needing some body positivity, check out Isabel Foxen dukes blog and try her guide "how not to eat cake really fast standing over a trash can" it's funny and enlightening.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker