Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Swaddle and Crib Transition Advice??

We are having a hard time transitioning our 5 month old to her crib. She also insists on being swaddled to get to sleep. She is rolling over a lot now, so I am concerned about the safety of her being swaddled while in her crib. We use the Halo Swaddle Sack and just started trying the Woombie as well. The Halo helps her get to sleep faster and keeps her more immobile, but she can still roll over in it if she tries hard enough. With the Woombie she just rolls constantly in her crib and will not stay still and asleep!! Last night she did fall asleep eventually in the Woombie, but she was awake again every couple hours...We put her down when she is sleepy but she still wiggles and flips and rolls like a crazy woman... At this age, what do we do when she rolls over in her crib? Is this safe? Any tips or advice on how to help her sleep? She is an extremely active and wiggly baby...Zipadee Zip or Magic Merlin Sleep Suit? What's the difference in the two??

Re: Swaddle and Crib Transition Advice??

• I have a pretty squirmy baby, too. We started to transition him out of the swaddle about a 1.5 months ago because he would litterally squirm his way out by morning and he'd have the muslin blanket piled around his middle. Scary! So, we did the one arm out at a time trick. It took about a week and a half but now he's swaddle free and oddly enough I think he sleeps so much better without it. We are currently doing the crib transition. Starting with naps first so he gets use to it for shorter periods. No real method to it, just made sense to us.
  • If she is rolling she CANNOT be swaddled or have her arms inside of anything at all. You have to take her out. She could roll over and suffocate.

I would do the swaddle transition first, then transition into the crib. Don't do both at one time. We did one arm out of the swaddle for a week but my DD wasn't rolling yet. You have to go cold turkey so just expect some rough nights. She will eventually get used to it but it will take time. Try wrapping the swaddle around her waist (arms out). We still do that and DD seems to like it.

She's probably waking a lot more BECAUSE of the swaddle. Sounds like she is ready to be done and once she's used to not being swaddled, I'm sure she will settle down and sleep better.

• Loading the player...
  • We are still transitioning like the others have described trying. Question to you 2 ladies. With the 1 arm out DS scratches at his face/head/neck. I cut his nails daily but he still scratches himself. Was this typical in your transition? I have started putting socks on his hands to stop the scratching but he still digs at his face.
  • We are still transitioning like the others have described trying. Question to you 2 ladies. With the 1 arm out DS scratches at his face/head/neck. I cut his nails daily but he still scratches himself. Was this typical in your transition? I have started putting socks on his hands to stop the scratching but he still digs at his face.

Yep. DD always scratches one side of her face. I have to keep her nails super short and even file them. Now that she's not swaddled, she doesn't do it anymore though.
  • He scratched himself more in the beginning I think when he was trying to wiggle out of the swaddle. He rarely does it anymore though. Like the PP said, filing is really helpful!