September 2015 Moms

Teachers: do your students know you're pregnant?

I'm so excited to finally tell my kids tomorrow! I teach HS English, and I decided to use my lesson on Sylvia Plath's poem "Meataphors" (it's about pregnancy) to share the news with them. How have you/will you share the news with your students?
11/10/13 - we tied the knot <3
BFP #1 6/27/14 - EDD 3/4/15 - lost heartbeat 8/11/14; D&C 8/20/14
BFP #2 1/19/15 - EDD 9/26/15

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Teachers: do your students know you're pregnant?

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not going to say anything until after my anatomy scan next week. Last year I waited to see if my students would ask and they never did! So finally by 23 weeks I told them and most of them were shocked. I guess they don't look at me much because it was pretty obvious haha
  • I told my 4th and 5th grade classes in the middle of my 4th month. I put it as a bonus on a quiz. They are very excited, but I've tried to down-play everything with our state tests approaching.
  • I told my first graders in a little game on the Smartboard. Glad I videotaped it soni can have it forever! I was showing very early so I wanted to break the news before the parents started whispering!
  • Most of mine know now that I'm almost 18 weeks. Some of them had already figured it out. One said he heard a rumor that I was and I played dumb, but he still knew it was true.

We go Monday to find our what we are having, which is during Spring Break. I'm trying to come up with a creative way to tell them what it is. I teach HS Math.
  • Yes! I told my second graders. Next week we find out the gender and I'm going to do a reveal with my class. They are so excited! :)
  • I told my admin last Friday (and also mentioned in not coming back next year-- we are moving).

I might tell my kids after spring break. It's getting too hard to cover up the bump and be comfortable all day.
  • I teach HS math and I told my kids already! I felt like they would better understand why I'm not on my feet quite as much as before.
    They have been really sweet about it-- asking about baby and guessing gender. They have requested that I do a gender reveal with them! Ha!
  • I teach HS English as well and I told my kids a few weeks ago. This is my second and I started showing much earlier, so I felt like it was getting obvious. I caught several of them looking at my stomach before I announced! I just straight up told them at the beginning of class, I didn't do anything fun to announce. I always feel a little awkward telling my students- I feel like I'm announcing I had sex or something haha. They've been sweet about it and suggesting names and such. I also find that just saying, "I am pregnant and hormonal" in a stern voice gets them quiet really fast.  ;)
  • @megzz1984 that's exactly why I chose to tell them tomorrow... I'm sure some of them will think I'm playing an April Fool's joke on them!
    11/10/13 - we tied the knot <3
    BFP #1 6/27/14 - EDD 3/4/15 - lost heartbeat 8/11/14; D&C 8/20/14
    BFP #2 1/19/15 - EDD 9/26/15

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I teach HS English as well was pretty skinny so they all noticed before I told em lol
  • I teach 5th grade. I was hoping I could make it to the end of the year without saying anything, but it's becoming kind of obvious. Several students' parents are in our circle of friends, so they already know, but it doesn't seem like they have spread it around (or at least they are really good at not saying anything!). So no idea when I'll break down and say something... Probably when a student asks :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to wait til my students ask, and if I can get through the year without them knowing great!
  • @MiromiM I can totaaalllly see one of my lovlies saying this. The girls ask me questions about pregnancy all the time and I feel like I see the wheels spinning on the boys' heads.
  • I told my students at 12 weeks. They're all extremely excited!

BabyFetus Ticker

• I am a high school librarian and one day during lunch, a student said "missss, when are you going to have a baby??" And I said "oh! September, actually!" And she said "wait, what?" And then I said "yup. I am pregnant." And then the kids all freaked out. They've been asking me how I feel, patting my belly, and then telling me they want to throw me a baby shower. They are furious I am not finding out whether it's a boy or girl. And, they are offering ridiculous name suggestions. I should start making a list… :)
  • I told my second graders at 12 weeks. They didn't know why I was waiting on a phone call (for the gender) and after I got the phone call, I told them I'd tell them what the big surprise is the next day. They are thrilled and tell me how I'm "getting a bit bigger" everyday.
  • I am a HS history teacher in Newark, NJ... My students are my babies even if they are seniors! I finally told my students on st. Patrick's day. I wore a shirt that had shamrocks on it and said O'BABY across my stomach. My students have been asking me since January to hurry up (literally the day after I got a positive pregnancy test) and get pregnant because they wanted me to have a baby belly for prom (I am senior class advisor as well) now students rub my belly all day long and they are extra protective and carry all my stuff! I can't wait to share the stories with my baby of all the love he or she (don't know the gender for another month) received well before they were born.
  • I teach speech so work with 3 year olds-5th grade. I honestly am not sure if I am going to tell kids this school year. I am not showing yet and I am not due until a month in to the fall. No one has been suspicious yet, even with all the teachers finding out last week... I'm not sure if I am putting it off too long, but I don't want to get them worked up about it just yet! :)
    ----------------------------
    BFP#1: 01.06.2015 ... Baby Boy Due Date: 9.14.2015 FTM! :)
  • I am an Elementary librarian. I am friends with some parents on FB so when we announced they told their kids. It then started spreading. I have at least 3 kids a day ask me. They are so funny. They all want to know if it's a boy or girl and the baby's name. I promised to tell them after spring break (this week).
  • I teach preschool and this is my third pregnancy so I started showing pretty early. 3 and 4 year olds are very observant and very blunt! Lol I had kiddos asking me why my belly was so fat long before I was really ready to share the news.
  • I teach 2nd also and plan to tell fri before spring break using hangman "my teacher is having a baby"

33 years old, Married Oct '11,

Summer '14: Diagosed with hypothryoidism, pollup, LPD, Low AMH, strong FSH.

BFP: 1/22/15. EDD: 9/23/14. Rainbow baby!

• I told my middle school Spanish classes at 13 weeks by playing a game and they were so thrilled haha. I find out today boy or girl and I'm so glad because they are about to stage a coup if I don't know soon. ;) so cute!
  • I teach elementary music. I have roughly 600 students, so I haven't gotten around to telling all of them yet. One of my kids actually flat out asked me one day (2nd grade) when I wore a shirt that showed my bump. I don't plan on having a big announcement or anything for them, but I will tell them all by the end of the year since I'm not coming back next year. The ones that know are so funny about it, though! They keep saying I should name the baby after them. Super cute!
  • michcoy85michcoy85 member
    edited April 2015
    I teach preschool and my bosses won't even let me tell the moms. If I am asked directly if I am pregnant I am allowed to say yes. This irritated me but most of the moms have asked or overheard other moms talking to me about it at this point so most know. I may be allowed to tell me students in June. School ends June 12th.
  • I wore a shirt on St. Patrick's day that our principal had made for us and I added an additional part to my belly. We announced on FB on St. Patricks day too and I couldn't wait to tell my Kindergartners! They asked first thing what my shirt said and I made them read it haha After reading it, it took them about 10 minutes to figure it out bc they thought it meant a leprechaun was on the way (a leprechaun had visited our classroom the night before)... They are all so excited and talk about it daily. They are so funny with their questions too! "Is the baby still in there? How is the baby doing? When will it be here again? I can't wait to find out if it's a boy or girl! How big is it today?" I love my little kinders :)
  • I told my fourth-graders two weeks ago. I made cupcakes and frosted them with pink and blue. Then I had them guess why I baked this treat.. It took them six guesses but there were lots of hugs and baby name suggestions afterwards! Haha The next morning I even had two gifts on my desk- how sweet!
  • Told my 1st graders a couple of weeks ago. They were all so excited and shocked, the one asked me if the baby is going to be the same colour as me... ( I teach in South Africa and as you know the colour of our skin is a big thing! I am peach and they are brown Sotho and Zulu children) Showed them my ultrasound photos they could not understand how the camera got into my tummy to take the photo. Very cute!!
  • I teach second grade. I told my kiddos by making them solve math problems and fill in a puzzle. They are all super excited! We are currently on spring break and I get to find out the gender this week, when we come back next week we will have a gender reveal in class. :)
  • I played Hangman with them to reveal I was pregnant. Then my class started a Google Drive Doc with name suggestions for my twins!
  • I still haven't told my high school students but I think they're on to me; a student was making a list of boy names and girl names for me with a dry erase marker on the desk. I'll come clean Thursday, I'm just waiting for the anatomy scan tomorrow!!
  • First, I LOVE the idea of using "Metaphor"! Also a HS English teacher and my kids get so confused trying to figure out each piece; "riddle in nine syllables", "a melon strolling on two tendrils", "money's new-minted in this fat purse"... Have a great time with it!

I told my kids at 14 weeks by giving them candy for a "symbolism/theme" activity. I gave them three baby-themed candies and they had to figure out the symbol being represented, the theme of the bag, and the message being conveyed. Some of them took it so seriously and tried to relate it to the class reading but they figured it out and started screaming! Now they check in with me all the time and want to know about the baby and the status of my bump (I'm still little enough to hide it with blousy shirts which I wear pretty much every day).
  • I'm loving all these stories- super cute.

I work with little boys who have severe autism, they are non-verbal but I think one of them in particular knows. He is really big on rubbing, and smelling people he likes and he has been spending a lot of time rubbing my belly- something he never really did before. Granted, I already have a noticable bump- but it's cute. He definitely likes my new shape.