May 2015 Moms
Options

Natural Heartburn Remedies?

I'm 35 weeks this Thursday and I get heartburn so bad I throw up. No over the counter medicine has helped, any suggestions would be wonderful!

Re: Natural Heartburn Remedies?

• Options
    Prevention by avoiding trigger foods is really the best I got for you. For me that is salty or vinegar-y things like chips and pretzels (but conversely, fast food is usually fine). That and not overeating. 

Once it gets going though, I try milk for relief. The fat helps coat things and the calcium helps absorb the acid.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options
    There was another post about this a while back and some women were talking about apple cider vinegar. Mix 2 teaspoons with a big glass of water. It didn't really do anything for me but it might help you. My best advice is just avoid anything with flavor. Milk helps too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The problem is, everything gives me heartburn, even bread! I tried a spoonful of mustard which helps for about 30 minutes then it comes back. I'm guessing it's the vinegar that helps.
  • Options
    So far ice cream has helped me!!! :-) But it is getting worse the farther I am along, so who knows how much longer this will work.
  • Options
    Papaya enzyme is supposed to work wonders.
  • Options
    Omg.. 37weeks and the past 2 weeks I swear everything gives me heartburn. Even water! ... I avoid the spicy or acid filled foods and usually have a small glass of milk before bed to prevent me from puking....let me know if you find anything that helps.
  • Options
    I posted in the last thread about this that I take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water in the morning and one before dinner time. I also do a tablespoon morning and night of aloe vera juice (supposed to coat your esophagus and also helps with constipation), take probiotics and drink kombucha. With this regiment I was able to drop the max dose of Pepcid AC that I was on. My crunchy massage therapist scared me saying that the antacids rob your body of nutrients because you don't have enough acid in your stomach to properly absorb them which means baby is also not getting them.

Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and if you try the apple cider vinegar route, get the good stuff, not the fake stuff that comes in a plastic bottle. I like the brand Bragg.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Milk works wonders for my heartburn!
  • Options
    Since the early 1st trimester, the most consistent relief for me came from mixing 2 tablespoons of honey into a glass of warm milk. It not only tasted like dessert, it helped immensely.
  • Options
    I have heard a little baking soda in water works amazing. My friend swears by it
  • Options
    This sounds strange and counterintuitive, but I swear it helps...water with lemons works wonders!! Heartburn during pregnancy is usually due to the relaxing of the esophagus. The acidity of the lemons tricks your esophagus into constricting, which helps the heartburn. I never leave home without my lemon water. If I happen to run out, I'm on the verge of vomiting within an hour or two.
  • Options
    My friend suggested papaya enzymes and marshmellow root tea. Both of these were recommended by her midwife.
  • Options
    Baking soda in water, apple cider vinegar or aloe juice
  • Options
    katyebluekatyeblue member
    edited April 2015
    Earth Mama Angel. Heartburn Tea and cucumbers and avocado calm mine
  • Options
    There is a tub of plain vanilla ice cream in the fridge ready to go for my heartburn. Hubby knows I will be just sticking a spoon in every once in a while rather than having a whole bowl lol
  • Options
    My heartburn tends to be worse at night, but I've found that it's much better if I eat dinner earlier in the evening and give myself at least a few hours to digest before bed.