Breastfeeding

HELP!!!

I am looking for some advice please. I am not sure if you can even help but I have exhausted all of my other resources and I am getting so discouraged.

My daughter is 15 weeks old and has been ebf with the occasional bottle if we're at church. About 3.5-4 weeks ago she started fussing at around 4-6 min into her feedings. (She was usually nursing for 15 min on one side per nursing session, I don't switch sides in the middle)
After that 4-6 min she would pull off like Normal to burp but when I try to get her to go back she would SCREAM. I put that in caps to emphasize that it was not a fuss or cry but a red face blood curdling scream and would not latch back again. At night when she has been asleep she will mostly nurse ok for about 6-10 minutes and shorter feedings at night have been her norm, just like a snack and back to bed. She was giving us a 6-7 hour stretch then eating for a bit and back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. Now she's up every 2-3 hours at night which she has never done. I used to have to wake her to feed her when we came home from the hospital. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of!
She is gaining weight but VERY slowly she only gained 7 ounces in 3 weeks. She is overall happy and alert when she is awake and has plenty wet and dirty diapers, but, I am giving her bottles about once a day now after we have a failed nursing session that went exceptionally bad and I couldn't get her latched back on at all.
I am desperate for some help here, one month of this and I am getting so stressed out which isn't healthy for her or me. I really need to know if there is anything I can do or if I need to just stop trying and give her bottles. It is a pretty traumatizing experience every time she eats for both of us.

I have spoken with my pediatrician and the lactation consultant at her office and I have called the hospitals lactation consultant and spoken with her. I have literally tried everything I can think of.

Re: HELP!!!

• 1, it could be teething.  2, it could be something you ate. 

I'd suggest trying to eat some mild foods and not a lot of greens for a few days and see if that helps.  I found that any time I ate greens or tomatoes I'd cause a lot of problems with DD.  I gave some teething tablets or tried tylenol and sometimes that helped. 

Good luck! 

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Maybe try a nipple sheild? It's a silicone cover for your breast. If you're having any kind of confusion from going between breast & bottle it might help?
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe an overactive letdown? Possibly try nursing upright?
  • She HATED the nipple shield!

I did try upright nursing and she only did it once then refused to even do it that way :(

I am going to the doctor and meeting with LC tomorrow hopefully they can help this time. Its the second time for both.
  • Did you get any good info from the LC? I'm dealing with a similar issue. Mine will nurse fine at times and then others do exactly what you described.
  • My twins did that when I had oversupply/overactive let-down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It might not have anything to do with BFing.  A few things pop into my head here. 1. 3-4 months is the time babies become more efficient with nursing so she might be done that fast. 2. 4 month wakeful. 

As long as she is gaining & having the appropriate amount of wet diapers I wouldn't worry.  I know the waking sucks, but it's just normal for some babies.  Just b/c she was a great sleeper prior it certainly doesn't mean she always will be.  Example- DD2 literally slept at least 5 hrs a night from the day she was born until I returned to work at 12 weeks, then she began to sleep horribly and still wakes once a night at almost 23 months.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.