September 2015 Moms

Diono Radian RXT...yay or nay?

We are going to have 3 under 4 once this LO arrives. We are torn between buying a new car (a minivan) or getting 3 Diono Radian RXT car seats. Ideally we'd like to get the minivan, but it's just stretching our budget a bit to do it now (we'd like to get one in a year or so). We're debating on getting the car seats and using them until we can buy a minivan a little more comfortably. We currently have a Ford Edge. Anyone have experience with these - particularly those that fit 3 across in a row? Is it really tricky getting the kids in and out of them? Is it possible to just fit 2 with another type of infant car seat? Would you recommend them?  Anything else I should consider? Thanks for any advice!

I did post this on 2u2 board, but it's crickets over there lately!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Diono Radian RXT...yay or nay?

• Check out Car Seats for the Littles on FB. They should be able to help with what will fit in your car. I have a Diono Rainier & love it, planning on getting a second for my youngest. Hoping I can fit 3 in my tiny car :/
    If you do get one, you might want to get the angle adjuster. My backseat is pretty narrow, and if yours is too it will be a huge help!
  • We have the radian RXT. We love it, but I do suggest you get the seat adjuster if any are going to be rear facing otherwise the front passenger will probably be sitting on the dash.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a ford edge, I wouldn't have 3 carseats in there. They may thats a big may fit but it will be incredibly tight with no room left. I am on baby number two now and i have been looking at the ford explorer's because they are bigger or the mazda cx9 they are so nice too! I would recommend one of those over the edge if you want to have all 3 carseats next to one another. They are also both 3 row seating so you will have tons of extra storage on the back of even use the 3rd row. I have friends who have both and they are so spacious.
  • I don't have any advice on the car seats but if and when you get a van, you'll LOVE it!! I always told myself I'd never drive a van but my hubby talked me into it and I ended up buying a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country a couple years ago. I absolutely love how roomy it is and all the gadgets it has.
  • I don't have any advice on the car seats but if and when you get a van, you'll LOVE it!! I always told myself I'd never drive a van but my hubby talked me into it and I ended up buying a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country a couple years ago. I absolutely love how roomy it is and all the gadgets it has.
  • We have the diono car seats and a honda van. We love them both:)
  • I'm glad to see such good reviews for diono, they're pricey were getting one for our secondary car I absolutely loathe switching carseats so I'm avoiding it till baby will grows out of his infant seat lol
  • We are going to have 3 under 4 once this LO arrives. We are torn between buying a new car (a minivan) or getting 3 Diono Radian RXT car seats. Ideally we'd like to get the minivan, but it's just stretching our budget a bit to do it now (we'd like to get one in a year or so). We're debating on getting the car seats and using them until we can buy a minivan a little more comfortably. We currently have a Ford Edge. Anyone have experience with these - particularly those that fit 3 across in a row? Is it really tricky getting the kids in and out of them? Is it possible to just fit 2 with another type of infant car seat? Would you recommend them?  Anything else I should consider? Thanks for any advice!

I did post this on 2u2 board, but it's crickets over there lately!

Car seat for the little and the car seat lady can both give you some advice on 3 across for your vehicle. They use that seat a lot for that.
  • kajordan09kajordan09 member
    edited April 2015

I have a ford edge, I wouldn't have 3 carseats in there. They may thats a big may fit but it will be incredibly tight with no room left.

This is why we are looking at the Diono Radian RXT - you are suppose to be able to fit 3 in a row comfortably with this type of seat

I am on baby number two now and i have been looking at the ford explorer's because they are bigger or the mazda cx9 they are so nice too! I would recommend one of those over the edge if you want to have all 3 carseats next to one another. They are also both 3 row seating so you will have tons of extra storage on the back of even use the 3rd row. I have friends who have both and they are so spacious.

I actually prefer to have a minivan and not fit three in a row, but being budget conscious I don't think upgrading our car is best to do right now (see my post). So three in a row might have to be our option in the Edge until we can comfortably upgrade our car.

Edited : was trying to figure out how to put my first comment out of the quotes. I was better with the old Bump format!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am in the same position. LO will be 3 5 and under. My oldest is in just a booster, but I have a Ford Fusion. I checked car seats for the littles and they were able to advise what seats are likely narrow enough. It was also suggested to ask friends who have the seats and try them in your car to get a true sense of the space. If we do end up buying a minivan we are likely going to buy one certified preowned so at least our insurance doesn't take too big of a jump with a new car.

I am procrastinating making a decision until July.
  • The Diono is a good seat, but when I tried it in my small SUV, there was NO CHANCE it could rear face with a passenger in the front seat. So we had to skip it.
  • I have a ford edge, I wouldn't have 3 carseats in there. They may thats a big may fit but it will be incredibly tight with no room left.

This is why we are looking at the Diono Radian RXT - you are suppose to be able to fit 3 in a row comfortably with this type of seat

I am on baby number two now and i have been looking at the ford explorer's because they are bigger or the mazda cx9 they are so nice too! I would recommend one of those over the edge if you want to have all 3 carseats next to one another. They are also both 3 row seating so you will have tons of extra storage on the back of even use the 3rd row. I have friends who have both and they are so spacious.

I actually prefer to have a minivan and not fit three in a row, but being budget conscious I don't think upgrading our car is best to do right now (see my post). So three in a row might have to be our option in the Edge until we can comfortably upgrade our car.

Edited : was trying to figure out how to put my first comment out of the quotes. I was better with the old Bump format!

Oh sorry my bad i had read that wrong. But at least you know it will fit, it just may be tight but like you said it's good until you can upgrade.
  • We have it and really like it. It is slender from side to side, but you'll definitely need the angle adjuster to rear face. Otherwise it's hard for the front seat to have enough room for the passenger. We are still comfortably rearfacing my son at age 2.5, and it is great for extended rear facing!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are in a similar situation.  With this pregnancy we are adding 2 and currently have a 14mo.  We have to get a new vehicle (SUV or minivan).  But I wanted to do 3 across in an SUV more.  I found a website with the top rated carseats for 3 across and your choice is on it.  I don't know if that helps.  Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
  • @bethhart66 can you send me the link to the website? I'd be curious to see what others are on there. Honestly I've only ever heard of the Diono Radians fitting 3 across; I would certainly love to see if there were more, particularly affordable options! Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kajordan09

https://blogs.babycenter.com/products_and_prizes/02052015-13-car-seats-that-fit-3-across-in-most-vehicles/

Sorry I didn't include it last time.   If you look at the infant seats make sure to check weight.  We looked at the Baby Trend seat and it is 18lbs!