2nd Trimester
Options

Eating poorly while pregnant

Hey guys! So I have a mommy confession to make. I am pregnant with my second child and have been eating so badly! ...which is the complete opposite of my first pregnancy. I watched EVERYTHING that I would eat, drink, ect. But this time around...I've just been so bad!

I'm just into my second trimester (13 weeks) and my diet has not been good. Junk food & junk food & junk food. I am however, eating fruit and veggies...but I still feel guilty about the pizza, cokes and other junk. :(

Any other moms eat badly during the first trimester, and successfully quit it and go on to have a healthy pregnancy. I just don't want any problems for my little munchkin, all because I had to be a chubber while pregnant!

Talk to me ladies!!

Re: Eating poorly while pregnant

• Options
    If you are taking a prenatal and eating fruits/veggies still, you are likely just fine. I have always heard of babies being described as parasites. They will suck whatever nutrients they need out of you, and it will be you that ends up suffering for the lack of them. Just try and start eating healthier at this point.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What PPs said. I have had inflamed gums for over a week and have only just been capable of chewing solid foods again. Before that I was on an involuntary liquid diet. My doctor said as long as I'm still taking my prenatals and at least attempting to ingest fruits and veggies (fruit smoothies instead of milkshakes, etc.) she wasn't too worried. Our bodies will take care of baby first!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was baaaarely able to eat the first 17 weeks or so. I then transitioned to only being able to eat what I was in the mood for, which was junk food. Around 20 weeks, right before my anatomy scan I FINALLY started eating a little more like a normal human being. The baby was totally normal at 21 weeks at our scan. I am 26 weeks now and have finally put on around 7 pounds. Trust that as long as you're taking a vitamin and are still eating fruits and veg the baby should be fine! I think your body has an amazing ability to pick and choose what actually gets sent to the baby. They will take what they need :)
  • Options
    My baby is growing on bacon and egg sandwiches! It's all I can stomach!
  • Options
    kjs08kjs08 member
    I felt like a bird my first trimester. Trying to finish a bowl of cereal was work! Second trimester, all I want is steak and carbs, carbs, carbs! Spinach, kale, romaine, and red peppers are the few veggies I can eat, but I'm finding more and more foods that I can't stand to even think about because of their texture (burgers, avocado, brussell sprouts, tomato soup, etc.). If you're worried about it, you can try to portion it out, but your body wants what it wants. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been eating horribly. Still taking prenatal vitamins and *trying* to sneak some good in there, but yeah  :-q

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    now that my first trimester lack-of-appirite is done, i admit i'm eating somewhat poorly lol.

i let my weird cravings get the best of me. i woke up just the other day to catch a whiff of popcorn from the local schools sports fair. said "i am having a bag of popcorn for breakfast" and i did. my mind told me "dont do that, thats not sensable, and bad for you!" but my pregnancy self said "go on, do it, do ittttt" lol

Plus during my first trimester fried onion rings was my top craving food lol.

its hard sometimes, when you know you should be eating better, but as long as your taking your vitimins an such, your baby is getting what it needs, just try to watch the unhealthy eating for your own benefit. (i'm trying!)
  • Options
    My midwife has a HUGE focus on nutrition as the path to a healthy, low-risk pregnancy and even she says that it is just about making do with what your body can tolerate until the ickies pass. For me, I was very, very picky until about 20 weeks (and throwing up until 16 weeks). At this point in my pregnancy, I'm able to have a more varied diet. I will say, this is my first pregnancy dairy-free and gluten-free (to clarify: this isn't some sort of PG-diet, this is a lifestyle shift I made well before the PG to address some health concerns) and while that is harder in some ways, it makes it easier in other ways because my previous pregnancy defaults (read: lots and lots of pizza) aren't options anymore.
  • Options
    I feel like I eat really unhealthy too! And I try so hard to eat things that are good for me but I don't have much of an appetite most days so when I do crave something it's hard to turn away from it
  • Options
    I wish I had an appetite.
  • Options
    Women in 3rd world countries do not have access to all the fresh and wonderful foods we have and they some how make it.