July 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else counting calories while pregnNt

I gained 70 lbs with my first son 3 years ago it I had to work my buns off to get all that baby weight off! This time around I have been trying to really watch what I eat and keep my weight gain reasonable. So far I was at 7 lbs gained total but when I just went for my 20 week ultrasound and check up my dr said I gained 10 lbs in one month! I still workout 4x a week and of course I cheat here and there on the weekends but 10 lbs how did I not notice it!! So now I'm back to using my fitness pal and trying to stay with 1600 cals a day is this too low of cal I read they 2200 cals a day in 2nd trimester any advice

Re: Anyone else counting calories while pregnNt

• Options
    asherkasherk member
    edited February 2015
    i am counting calories because i don't want to break the habit and i am worried that i won't eat enough (the only meat i eat is fish; i'm nearly a vegetarian and it's hard to get enough calories from fruits and veggies!!). my OB suggested that I set MFP to my pre-pregnancy weight and change it to 'maintain my weight,' and then eat 300 calories over that.

i would definitely check with your OB/midwife to see what they recommend as far as how many calories you eat. i know it's hard (i've been really discouraged about how my body is looking these days because i'm still waiting on that bump and just look like a pudgemaster), but try not to focus on the numbers of the scale! be easy on yourself - you're growing a human! i would think that, as long as you're still eating healthy and staying active, it would be easier to lose the weight after baby comes.

ETA that my calorie goal according to MFP +300 is 2300 a day. most days i land somewhere around 2100, which my OB said was still okay. just make sure that you're getting those calories from good places (i.e. not a bag of potato chips), and your weight gain should be managable.
  • Options
    It depends on how much you weigh, but 1600 sounds like too little calories to me. Try the fitness pal app, it will tell you what you should eat to maintain your weight and like the previous post said eat about 300 calories over that
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1600 is way too low! Definitely talk to your ob. If you are that concerned, they may be able to refer you to a dietician.
  • Options
    I was nervous about my weight gain so far and I asked my OB and she said I am perfectly fine. I don't necessarily watch what I eat, and I am not overweight pre preg or now, but I just don't want to gain too much. I trust my dr and know that if there was a concern she would tell me. Other than that I am trying not to stress too much about it, but am staying cognise of not gaining too much.
  • Options
    I went to a nutritionist because I am having twins. She said for a normal person to maintain weight they need 2,000 calories a day. For each baby they recommend 300 calories. So 2,300 for a singleton or 2,600 for twins. I am sure if you talk to your doctor she could recommend a nutritionist.
  • Options
    I am a FTM pregnant with twins. I am diabetic and was a little overweight pre pregnancy. I am watching my intake very very closely as my OB told me to only gain 15-25 lbs. So fast I'm almost 18 weeks and have gained 7lbs. I am hungry all the time but I haven't increased my calorie intake at all. Babies both look very healthy and are right on track so I'm not stressing to much. But man I really want a cheeseburger bad!
  • Options
    I'm using an app on my phone to count calories and exercise. I'm 39 and worried it's going to be harder for me to loose the baby weight.
  • Options
    I am keeping a close eye on my calorie count. I just started using My Fitness Pal, too. Helps me keep an eye on eat I eat and I am more conscious about the snacks and "tastes" I sneak, here and there. Lol!
  • Options
    I use my fitness pal also but I set it to where I maintain my current weight (which I know is impossible). It allows me 2200 a day
  • Options
    In my experience with counting calaries before I was pregnant (I'm not while), 1600 is too low. I also have used MyFitnessPal, and it is DEFINATELY too low if that is your calarie intake before you factor in how many calaries you burn from your workouts, if you have been keeping your exercise routine consistent. 

It is important to watch your weight and not gain too much, but it is more important that your baby gets the nutirients that it needs. Maybe instead of focusing so much on calarie intake, focus more on what you intake. Like stated above, 100 calaries of chips is alot different then 100 calaries of carrots. 

Also, unless your OB is worried about your weight gain so far, you shouldn't be ether. Mine talks about weight gain everytime I go in so I asumme it is a normal thing for the them to check and check with you on. 

Just be careful :) you will look great after the baby no matter what. 
  • Options
    I know I'm super late, but I'm really glad to see that I'm not they only one counting calories during my pregnancy. Trying to get enough calories in and not over do it at the same time
  • Options
    qtjo5qtjo5 member
    No, I'm not. I never counted calories before.. I
  • Options
    I am, I was heavy pre-pregnancy and my doctor advised me to eat only 1500 calories a day. It's hard sometimes to get all the protein in, but my baby is growing well and I actually feel better than I have for awhile. I am actually hopeful I will come out of pregnancy lighter and healthier than I went in.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I spoke with my OB about it as well and for my height and weight I had been eating 1200 calories before the baby, so I'm now up to 1500. (Though this doesn't mean I don't feel like a ravenous monster when around yummy foods haha). 1600 may not be low if it's 300 calories above your typical intake for height/weight. I'd ask your doctor for their opinion :)
  • Options
    Not but should be. I'm at 25 weeks and have gained 19lbs during this pregnancy. I was not overweight before pregnancy. I'm actually petite but my O.B says to slow down a bit because I'm already about to hit my target weight gain
  • Options
    Absolutely not. I give my body what it wants (within reason). I gained 60 lbs. with my first and lost it in three months. I enjoy every second of being pregnant.
  • Options
    Def not I'm currently have peach rings, combos and a Pepsi in front of me.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    I can't count calories while pregnant just because of all my crazy cravings. Theres plenty of time to lose wright after baby is born. No need to stress yourself out over your weight when your growing a human in you.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily count calories, but I'm generally very healthy and am even more so while pregnant. I try to be very cognizant of what goes in my body. Why do people freak out over nail salons and hair dye but think junk food and fast food is okay to put in your body? Pregnancy is not a reason to overindulge and eating for two is such a lie--like a PP said, a normal sized woman is only supposed to have an extra 300 calories per day and a total 25-35 lb weight gain. Just because you lose all the baby weight after doesn't mean that excessive weight gain is ok. Weight gain in excess of recommended guidelines is associated with higher risk of poor outcomes.
  • Options
    I don't count calories. I just try to eat proper portions, make sure I get lots of fruits, veggies, and water, and I try not give in to every craving.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I don't necessarily count calories, but I'm generally very healthy and am even more so while pregnant. I try to be very cognizant of what goes in my body. Why do people freak out over nail salons and hair dye but think junk food and fast food is okay to put in your body? Pregnancy is not a reason to overindulge and eating for two is such a lie--like a PP said, a normal sized woman is only supposed to have an extra 300 calories per day and a total 25-35 lb weight gain. Just because you lose all the baby weight after doesn't mean that excessive weight gain is ok. Weight gain in excess of recommended guidelines is associated with higher risk of poor outcomes.

Please tell me what these higher risks of poor outcomes are.
  • Options
    ... baby makes me want chocolate... I eat said chocolate.
  • Options
    I also use fitness pal to count my calories and to keep track of eating the right kind of calories. I also try and stay at around 1600 calories per day. If I increase my calorie intake I pick up weight too fast. I also excise 4 times a week. Baby is on the bigger side so my OB has advised me to cut out sugar from my diet. Its hard! But so far I'm managing it. Someone else also avoiding sugar?
  • Options
    @Ckorines
    The maternal risks include diabetes and heart disease, along with greater likelihood of requiring a Csection. The risks for baby include preterm birth and the associated developmental concerns, as well as excessive weight at delivery and later on in life.

This is all summarized by a report from the Institute of Medicine. If you aren't familiar with the IOM, they are an advisory body of the highest level of physicians, scientists, and statisticians who provide guidance for national health and science policy. They do so anonymously and without compensation so as to minimize bias and conflict of interest. They set the authoritative standards of care per evidence based medicine.

https://www.iom.edu/Reports/2009/Weight-Gain-During-Pregnancy-Reexamining-the-Guidelines.aspx
    Here is a link the the page. There are three links at the top of the page that include the risks as well as guidelines.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. I skimmed it quickly. From what I gathered, there was a strong emphasis on mother's pre- pregnancy BMI. Additionally, much of the focus was on obese mothers and the effects that obesity has on an individual's health. I think it is important to distinguish between the two. I also think it's important to remember that our doctor's word is final, and that is what should be followed...Not some article posted on the Internet. It can scare people who may be struggling with weight issues to use words like "risks of poor outcomes".
  • Options
    @Ckorines Prepregnancy BMI is definitely important, but so is actual weight gain, hence the recommendations. I agree that your medical provider's guidance is of utmost importance, but please don't mistake this as "some article posted on the Internet." That's why I explained the source--the IOM is what, in part, our providers base their guidance off of.
  • Options
    @Ckorines Sorry, I forgot to mention that there is a link on the top right to the full 868 page report. I'm quite familiar with the text due to professional reasons. Although the intention is not to scare people, the potential outcomes ARE quite scary. And the point is that diet and lifestyle choices have far reaching consequences for ourselves, and due to pregnancy, our unborn children.