November 2015 Moms
Options

Job where you can't sit down

I work 10 hour shifts at a job where I can't sit down and don't really get a break (except for about a half hour for lunch). I feel perfectly fine when I'm at home, don't even feel pregnant most of the time, but as soon as I've been at work and on my feet and busy for an hour or so... Boom! Headache, nausea, hunger, extreme fatigue... It all hits and I know this sounds crazy but I'm at a job where I can't always just leave at the drop of a hat and go to the bathroom. It's awful :( Anyone else have this issue?

Re: Job where you can't sit down

• Options
    I am in the same position unfortunately. I work night shift which is hard on its own but I operate a huge machine and stay on my feet all night with alot of heavy lifting involved. I've cut back my hours already because I'm too tired to get up for the school run in morning. Hoping it gets easier or I'm just guna have no choice but quit and we would miss my income. I hope you find it easier soon
  • Options
    Me too... As of right this moment, I am out primary income and it might be that way for awhile.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you entitled to any sort of assistance if you did need to quit?
  • Options
    Same here, but for a shorter shift. I've started carrying lifesavers at all times for when the queasiness hits which has helped some. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat! Even gave my manager a doctors note saying I can't life over 15 lbs he never told my coworkers and I'm constantly feeling overwhelmed by smells and being on my feet, I have no idea what to do.
  • Options
    I work at the airport and I close everyday I never know when im going home sometimes I dont get home until 1am. I stand my whole shift and I also have an half n hr break. It kills me sometimes
  • Options
    You could take to your ob. Mine wrote for light duty, but I'm high risk at the moment. I'm on my feet which is fine but they can't make me lift heavy things or stop me from going to the bathroom. They can't fire me either or put me on unpaid leave.
  • Options
    meghanw92 said:

I'm in the same boat! Even gave my manager a doctors note saying I can't life over 15 lbs he never told my coworkers and I'm constantly feeling overwhelmed by smells and being on my feet, I have no idea what to do.

I don't think yur boss legally CAN tell your coworkers. Privacy issues. If you need colleagues to lighten up on you, you'll need to say something to them yourself.
  • Options
    JStill0603JStill0603 member
    edited April 2015
    Quitting isn't really an option. I really just needed to vent, I'm frustrated and upset that I feel fine at home but can't function at work. I haven't seen an OB yet, first us is 4/24 but first appointment isn't until 5/7. I didn't know my gyn stopped doing ob until I went for my annual in January and told her we wanted to start ttc. I didn't know we would so soon after we started trying and didn't get to do much research on ob's except to get a recommendation from my gyn.
  • Options

meghanw92 said:

I don't think yur boss legally CAN tell your coworkers. Privacy issues. If you need colleagues to lighten up on you, you'll need to say something to them yourself.
    Can he not say that due to medical reasons I ask that every help ensure that I don't life over 15 lbs? That's the only reason why I got the note so it could help me at work, which it hasn't :/ im having to seek prenatal chiropractics :(
  • Options
    I'm with you too. 9-10 hour days on my feet. I work in an infant room which is great practice but terribly hard on my body. 6 infants at once, most days carrying two at a time. I can't leave at the drop of the hat for the bathroom due to ratios so I have to wait for someone to come in and relieve me. My sciatic nerve is already flared it was so bad they sent me home. I'm already having back issues so I'm kind of nervous about how the rest of my pregnancy will go in regards to my work... I need the money and can't afford to be laid off this early!
    BFP 03/02/15 // EDD 11/11/15 // MC 04/15/15
    If your a bird, I'm a bird.
  • Options
    I'm with you too. 9-10 hour days on my feet. I work in an infant room which is great practice but terribly hard on my body. 6 infants at once, most days carrying two at a time. I can't leave at the drop of the hat for the bathroom due to ratios so I have to wait for someone to come in and relieve me. My sciatic nerve is already flared it was so bad they sent me home. I'm already having back issues so I'm kind of nervous about how the rest of my pregnancy will go in regards to my work... I need the money and can't afford to be laid off this early!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Yep, I'm in the same vote! I'm on my feet all day. I work at a rehab facility and I'm constantly transferring patients in and out of bed, doing physio programs with then which means I need to bend, kneel, crouch, and protect my patients. It is very physically demanding. I guess I'll hope for the best. I can't just start a leave this early into my pregnancy but if it gets too tough I may have to consider a leave of absence.

Good luck mommies!
  • Options
    Yes, I'm a nurse. I work 7pm-7am and am lucky if I get to eat or pee, much less sit down. I don't know how I am going to make it to the end of October honestly. Lots of prayer probably.
  • Options
    I'm also a nurse on an extremely busy unit 13-14 hour days easy. A break is so rare. The job is so very demanding. I've been blessed with staying home for the last nine weeks due to breaking my wrist. I'm extremely anxious to return. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel and worry everyday about going back . Someone say a prayer for me ; (
  • Options
    meghanw92 said:

meghanw92 said:

Can he not say that due to medical reasons I ask that every help ensure that I don't life over 15 lbs? That's the only reason why I got the note so it could help me at work, which it hasn't :/ im having to seek prenatal chiropractics :(

I don't think he can reference the fact that you even have a medical need based on the Amerians with Disabilities Act. It's all of our healthcare privacy laws. It's the same reason that if you said u might need to leave your post momentarily without notice b/c you have intestinal trouble, he can't walk around saying "Don't ask Meghan why she has to run to the bathroom. She's got a disease that gives her the runs." He can modify your duties, but that won't stop a colleague from saying "hey, can you help me with this?" I don't understand: if this is such a concern, just tell them yourself.
  • Options
    I'm a Caregiver and work for a home health agency that is extremely pregnant lady friendly! Not only is it rewarding (helping senior citizens who can't take care of themselves or just want someone to spend time with them) but it's extremely easy and light labor. I mainly take patients to run errands, do some light housework, and hang out/keep them company in their homes. I don't know about you but the first trimester hasn't been easy at all for me. Still dealing with morning, afternoon and night sickness, all day headaches, and fatigue. I hope this was helpful to you. Just research some home health agencies and call around to see if anyone is hiring companions/caregivers. Most places will train you and don't require a CNA. Good luck!!