July 2015 Moms
Options

Sleeping on my tummy

im 25 weeks and 6 days and I love sleeping on my stomach it's always how I fall asleep but is it bad to continue it? I'm petite and my tummy isn't too big yet but does the baby feel any discomfort?

Re: Sleeping on my tummy

• Options
    If you're comfortable it's fine.
  • Options

Actually it could reduce oxygen and blood flow to your baby. 
    So just try not to.

Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sleeping on left side is best.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    asun123 said:

Actually it could reduce oxygen and blood flow to your baby. 
    So just try not to.

It gets really uncomfortable long before it gets dangerous.
  • Options
    I wouldnt continue it much longer.
  • Options
    agree with pp, if you feel comfortable its fine.  i personally can't do it unless i have one leg bent up so I'm like half on my stomach and sort of on my side.  its too uncomfortable for me to lay completely on my stomach
  • Options
    I am also 25 weeks and very petite, my belly is big enough to where I can't sleep on my belly. I wouldn't do it I I were u.
  • Options
    Only way I sleep and def won't "try not to " or any other suggestions. I'll sleep however I'm comfy bc I care way for about getting enough sleep than sleeping "the right way".
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    I sleep on my tummy too and if i feel uncomfortable i just turn to my side. Lets see how long it last.
  • Options
    I try not to but wake up on my stomach more than my side. I wonder if it causes harm. I've also noticed that that's when I have horrible dreams and she kicks like crazy... lol. Not sure if that's connected but hey...
  • Options

If I use my leg like a kickstand so I'm on my tummy'side it's not bad. I don't usually stay that way anyhow.

• Options
    ^kickstand :) perfect way to describe it! 
    June 2012 Mom (2.5 yr old boy), July 2015 Mom (team green), Babywearing newbie/enthusiast
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I am a belly sleeper from way back but now that I am big I am literally uncomfortable in every position. It feels hopeless. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    I sort of just roll in circles all night long based on what hurts the most. I know I should stay off my stomach and back but sometimes it's that weird in between thing with the kickstand. (Love that description btw!!) I have sciatica too and sleeping on my sides is really really painful. I tried the couch and a recliner but just can't get comfortable. Between my spinning all night and all the night time bathroom runs any amount of sleep is a luxury! I guess by time this baby gets here I will be well used to going on almost no sleep!
  • Options
    I bought a maternity pillow from amazon... I didn't think it would help, but it works wonders. I love it! It's a u shaped pillow. I needed something to cover my back, head, and cushion between my legs so that I can lay on my side comfortably
  • Options
    I tried the snoogle but found it was too hard and stiff for me. Plus, when I get up to use the bathroom I get all tangled and then it's hard to climb back into position when I am tired and it's dark.
  • Options
    I prefer stomach/back sleeping, I bought the boppy wedge & the boppy full body pillow, they have been my life saver for being able to sleep hard on my side.
  • Options

I tried the snoogle but found it was too hard and stiff for me. Plus, when I get up to use the bathroom I get all tangled and then it's hard to climb back into position when I am tired and it's dark.

I thought this when I first bought my snoogle too, but it actually has sort of loosened up with use. I've been using it for a few weeks now.

I totally agree though about getting tangled up when you go to the bathroom. I also have that struggle, and it also makes it hard for my dog who sleeps with us to get in the bed. It's been worth it though for me.

I am a tummy sleeper too but even though I'm not that big yet it isn't that comfortable. Every now and then I will wake up and I'll be half on my tummy. I usually just go ahead and switch back to my left side but I don't panic about it or anything.

• Options
    Yeah I sometimes roll onto my back when I am really deep in sleep. When I wake up like that, I just move onto my side. I move a lot while I sleep ans I get up to pee a lot too
  • Options
    mamaacita said:

im 25 weeks and 6 days and I love sleeping on my stomach it's always how I fall asleep but is it bad to continue it? I'm petite and my tummy isn't too big yet but does the baby feel any discomfort?

Left side is the best, but like you I am a stomach sleeper.. I asked my Dr and he said if your comfortable it's fine and can do so til it's not comfortable anymore.
  • Options
    qtjo5qtjo5 member
    Why is left side better than right side?
  • Options
    Sleeping on your left side helps blood flow.
  • Options
    I'm a side sleeper and no matter how hard I try, I always end up in my right side. It's just comfier
  • Options
    I fall asleep on my right side. For some reason, the left side isn't comfy for me. Inevitably, I will end up in that position halfway on my tummy/on my side. As soon as I notice it, I change positions to side sleep. I figure as long as it's comfortable, baby and I will be OK. I'm not doing it on purpose, since it's happening in my sleep.